Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent and Import duty/VAT from the US

Options
  • 29-11-2011 3:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I’m in the process of getting something going and have a couple of questions you may be able to help me on.

Question 1
    I’ve located a unit, approx. 600sqft, which is perfect for my needs. Rents are about market average. No insurance, no service charge. Typically, is there any room for negotiation on rent? Am I better trying negotiate a rent free period, or get the monthly costs down? What’s a reasonable amount rent free for a 12 month period?! Would it be reasonable to suggest a 15 month lease with 3 months free? (having spoken to the letting agent, lease terms are available from 9 to 36 months on the unit i'm looking at)

Question 2
    Outside of a 21% VAT charge, and 2.4(ish)% duty on landed cost (product+shipping??), are there any other charges I should be aware of if I’m bringing gym equipment in from the US for my own use? (ie not to be resold). As far as I know, it gets dropped at the port and it’s my responsibility from there. Can I just rock up with a van and take it, or is there some additional costs/consideration I need to be aware of?

Any advice or feedback on the above is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Hanly,

In relation to question 2. Please double check with your supplier what he is paying for. If you have agreed that he pays for the seafreight (i.e. C&F or CPT) you are likely to have to pay for the arrival charges. This is a movable feast and varies widely from company to company. Ask your supplier for the details of the agent in Dublin that will receive the shipment and make contact to discuss the customs clearance arrangements and the charges.

In relation to the charges, if you pay more than the following you are being overcharged ;

Agency fee € 55.00 / € 60.00
    Handling / Unloading / THC € 55.00 per 1000 kgs or 3 cubic meter (whichever is the greater)
    Customs Clearance € 55.00 / € 60.00

As I said, anything more than the above and you are in RIP OFF territory.

You should be able to collect the shipment from the depot.

Please note that the duty is calculated over the cost of the product plus the freight costs. The VAT is calculated over the aforementioned plus the duty.
    You should have the option of paying the duty/VAT direct to customs. If you pay the agent he would look for a fee to handle the funds (anything from € 20.00 upwards). I would advise to pay Revenue direct and get them to allocate it to the TAN account of the agent. (Come back to me if the agent is unwilling to cooperate)

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement