Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Grazing

• 29-11-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

A neighbour has just asked me would i rent him about 30 acres till
    1st March for grazing sheep!
    It is well fenced and it has been reseeded over the last couple of years.
    It's just that i don't know what price to ask him for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Ashill5 wrote: »
    A neighbour has just asked me would i rent him about 30 acres till
    1st March for grazing sheep!
    It is well fenced and it has been reseeded over the last couple of years.
    It's just that i don't know what price to ask him for it!

I had sheep grazing off a reseed for me. the owner paid me 6c per sheep per day. That is suitable for a very short term arrangement.

As the grandfather used to always say, Ask him enough.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

im paying 5c per day for grazing (not reseeding) at the moment , reseeding tends to disappear quicker but the the owner of the land gets the added benefit of a much thicker sward next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I thought the going rate was around 14cent/sheep/day. What do you need to do to take in sheep for the winter? Do you need to let the department know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Its somewhere between 5 cent per day and 14 cent per day depending on how convienient, fenced, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

you have 6 weeks to notify department from date you delivered them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

The six weeks only applies to meeting obligations under REPS. From a cross compliance point of view if there are other animals on the holding (bovines, ovines, equines etc.) even if they are housed on the holding you are obliged to fill out dispatch docket and send pink one to you local DVO within 7 days of movement taking place. Should be market movement to holding for temporary grazing. When the sheep come back home you send the original white version of the dispatch docket to DVO and mark it return from temporary grazing - again within 7 days.

If there are no livestock on the holding then there is no need for any notifiaction (except if in REPS) but you have the option of Completing Record 4 under Nitrates which transfer the Organic N to the farm on which the temporary grazing is taking place. This form should be submitted before the animals are moved off the holding. There is no need to fill out of submit dispatch docket in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

Can anyone give me an idea of current rates being paid/charged for grazing sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

aneala wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an idea of current rates being paid/charged for grazing sheep?
    A buddy of mine gave 500 euro for 15 acres of a reseed off a dairy farmer last year from sept to dec . He had a bit of fencing to do on it aswell and I dont know what that cost him into the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

how many ewes do you think 8 acres of reseed would manage till 1st January. very strong grass on it now and want to clean it well out for slurry in feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

I'd say around 40-50, wouldn't be certain though. We have 130 store lambs in on 16 acres of reseed after grass at present they've been on it 5 weeks and there's at least another 4-5 weeks left in it for them.

Turning inside out in it, if they were our own half the little feckers would probably have died!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement