Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz Letterkenny

Options
  • 29-11-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the HDMi cable thread. Dealz is part of the poundland group and sell identical products, some which have sterling pounds/pence prices on them. 17 miles away in strabane in the Poundland store the exct same items can be picked up for £1 which is €1.17 at todays rate and therefore approximately 25% more expensive.

People think theyre getting great bargains as everything is €1.49 which sounds reasonable for a lot of the items but in comparison to prices across the border its not. I also spotted things that were considerably more expensive than the same thing in tesco/dunnes, for example, the little tins of heinz spaghetti hoops are 2 for €1.49 which is 75c each, yet theyre anywhere from 47c to 52c in other shops!

So dont be drawn in by the everything 1.49 ploy, its not that cheap when all things are taken into consideration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thats all fine and well but when you take your €15 Diesel / Petrol into it it makes letterkenny the better option, thats without taking into consideration wear and tear on your car + mileage when if you go weekly will make a huge difference. edit; as you say the difference is about 32cent per item so you'd need to buy about 50 items to make up for the diesel alone to make it on equal terms with the letterkenny, is it really worth all the extra hastle?

I think we should be getting behind these new businesses myself not running them into the ground just after they've opened. They are still cheaper on say 75% of items V's Tesco / Dunnes ect from what I could see.

I say fair play to them for giving us the option of something cheaper closer to home have having to troopse into letterkenny / Derry for it and they are creating jobs into the bargain, pardon the pun :pac:, so its a win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

As Homer has pointed out the extra cost of travelling into the North is not worth it plus the big upside is that it is keeping jobs in the town.

A 34 mile round trip to save a few extra cent is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I get the OPs point but remember not everyone has a car & as pointed out when you add in petrol etc it takes away from some of the savings you would make..

Dealz prices for quite a lot off stuff (milk for one) is cheaper than tescos so if you are savvy enough & spread your shopping around all the shops which do good deals then there is big savings to be made.. eg get your milk in dealz & your spaghetti in tesco

Its not just Dealz that have there goods on sale cheaper in the north than here its the same for all these companies-Tesco. Argos. Smyths etc its to do with the Tax that is imposed on them by our goverment.

I for one am very glad that Dealz (poundland) has opened here.. they have fantastic stock at great prices no matter how you look at it, and im sure local newsagents & grocery shops will finally have to drop some prices to compete, as they have been gettting away with artificallly high prices for far too long especially in the more rural parts of Donegal. yet these same local shop owners will no doubt be moaning away as if they are entitled to make a killing from the back off us, just because they have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

These type of stores will indeed have some bargains. A lot of the 'stuff you'll never use but you'll buy it anyway" is bought by these companies in bulk for a few cents per unit and sold at a huge profit. Some of this profit is offset by bargain prices on a few items.
    As a poster above said if u r savvy enough u will get great bargains ( as long as you don't start buying the stuff u don't really want ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I've never gone into Strabane to the equivalent and tbh am not even too sure exactly what is sold in it apart from the annual stories about tins of sweets and biscuits being for half nothing.:D

At the risk of sounding dumb, Dealz is basically another cheap supermarket selling all the main household staples? I've passed it by and for some reason I thought it was just a big Euro2 type shop.:confused:

• Advertisement

I've never gone into Strabane to the equivalent and tbh am not even too sure exactly what is sold in it apart from the annual stories about tins of sweets and biscuits being for half nothing.:D

At the risk of sounding dumb, Dealz is basically another cheap supermarket selling all the main household staples? I've passed it by and for some reason I thought it was just a big Euro2 type shop.:confused:

It is kinda....

It's a branch of a chain in the north called "poundland" except they can't call it poundland, for obvious reasons, and called it deal'z instead, everything in there is €1.49 some good deals but lots of tack too, but they do a lot of household stuff compared to euro 2. In fairness I did buy some of the tack last time I was in, bicycle lights just because they were well... cheap, and they work a treat, so not all the tack is that bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Its got the same type stuff as most 2 euro shops - but for €1:49! plus everyday groceries such as 2 litres of milk for only €1 :) it also has a large selection of CDs, DVDs & books for only €1:50 & they are off a standard above the type you would usually find in these sorts of stores,, as said above these types of shops are made so that you go in to buy 1 or 2 things & come out with 5 or 6 things.

Overall i think its great that it has came to Letterkenny.. ive been in 4 times since it opened & my cupboards have never been so full :) the more bargains to be had the better imo & they also have plenty of staff working so i assume it is all local people who are now in full time employment there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I love Dealz! Got my doggies all of their 6 stockings from santie, also all the biscuits and things are all proper brand prices at proper sizes!

Very good bargains to be had as well as that its great not to go the whole way up to strabane as the asda, poundland and B&M were the only reasons I would go up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ok i get what your all saying about fuel costs and so on and yes there is that to consider too, however unless you drive a tank its not going to cost 15euro in fuel...if your car uses 15euro of fuel to travel 34 miles then you've got serious engine trouble...My car has a 2.2 litre petrol engine and can manage 33mpg so €6 is what it costs me to travel to strabane.

The average family car will take 4 or 5euro to travel to and from strabane from letterkenny, diesels will use even less.

I'm not condemning the place or telling people to avoid it, i'm just pointing out that its not as cheap as they would like you to think it is, and i agree its great that its providing employment for so many local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

CJC999 wrote: »
    Ok i get what your all saying about fuel costs and so on and yes there is that to consider too, however unless you drive a tank its not going to cost 15euro in fuel...if your car uses 15euro of fuel to travel 34 miles then you've got serious engine trouble...My car has a 2.2 litre petrol engine and can manage 33mpg so €6 is what it costs me to travel to strabane.

The average family car will take 4 or 5euro to travel to and from strabane from letterkenny, diesels will use even less.

I'm not condemning the place or telling people to avoid it, i'm just pointing out that its not as cheap as they would like you to think it is, and i agree its great that its providing employment for so many local people.

If people spend an extra euro locally it will find its way back to you support local jobs for gods sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was in Dealz once and i just happened to be in Poundland the day before, it did annoy me that everything i seen the day before was £1 and the exact same stuff is €1.50 in Letterkenny.

One big reason for the difference in price would be that the cost of doing business in the republic is far greater than in the uk when you take into account vat,rates, insurance,rent and minimum wage you will soon get to your £1=€1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

cosanostra wrote: »
    One big reason for the difference in price would be that the cost of doing business in the republic is far greater than in the uk when you take into account vat,rates, insurance,rent and minimum wage you will soon get to your £1=€1.50

Their getting at least the first year rent free. The price will still be the same next year and if currencies fluctuate, the price wont change.

These international stores round their price up. If, with exchange rates, the price comes out at €1.20, then they round up to €1.50. If its €1.70, they round up to €2 etc etc.
    I'm not against shopping in Dealz, but i wouldn't make a point of going there.

Senna wrote: »
    Their getting at least the first year rent free. The price will still be the same next year and if currencies fluctuate, the price wont change.

These international stores round their price up. If, with exchange rates, the price comes out at €1.20, then they round up to €1.50. If its €1.70, they round up to €2 etc etc.
    I'm not against shopping in Dealz, but i wouldn't make a point of going there.

Cant imagine Musgraves throwing another €257,000 per annum plus vat away http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=58163

You should still make a point in keeping your money as local as possible the people employed locally's money will then be used in the local petrol station which employs someone else and it will filter all the way back down to your pocket again and it wont end up going to feed the queens corgis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Browsing through the place today for the first time picked up a copy of Terry Pratchett's "The Last Hero" for €1.49 :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I haven't been in Letterkenny for several weeks now.

Where is deal'z located?

I like Poundland, but stopped shopping in Strabane ages ago.(It's not worth it, anymore.) It will be nice to be able to pick up bits and pieces in Deal'z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I haven't been in Letterkenny for several weeks now.
    Where is deal'z located?

It's in the Letterkenny Retail Park close to Argos. I believe the building it is in used to be a super valu, but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's in the Letterkenny Retail Park close to Argos. I believe the building it is in used to be a super valu, but I might be wrong.

Yeah thats correct.

I seriously doubt if theyre paying €257,000 in rent a year, that price may have been applicable in 2004 when the premises was completed but in todays market it will have been more than halved i'd imagine, and like Senna stated companies are offered free rental for the first year in most cases on the basis they take a lease of xx amount of years.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Yeah thats correct.

I seriously doubt if theyre paying €257,000 in rent a year, that price may have been applicable in 2004 when the premises was completed but in todays market it will have been more than halved i'd imagine, and like Senna stated companies are offered free rental for the first year in most cases on the basis they take a lease of xx amount of years.

And i'm sure musgraves availed of that when they took out the 25yr lease Musgraves are now subleasing it to Dealz for the remainder of the lease and I cant imagine musgraves absorbing that kind of loss!

Anyway back on topic I called in today and comparing prices with Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi stores in Letterkenny and there's a lot of everyday goods that are a good bit cheaper in it. It was pretty busy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Was back in today, for xmas theres some great bargains

250 straws
    40 shot glasses plastic
    20 glasses plastic

All for 1.50

• Advertisement

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Was back in today, for xmas theres some great bargains

250 straws
    40 shot glasses plastic
    20 glasses plastic

All for 1.50

Sounds like a good party, am I invited :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Thats all fine and well but when you take your €15 Diesel / Petrol into it it makes letterkenny the better option, thats without taking into consideration wear and tear on your car + mileage when if you go weekly will make a huge difference. edit; as you say the difference is about 32cent per item so you'd need to buy about 50 items to make up for the diesel alone to make it on equal terms with the letterkenny, is it really worth all the extra hastle?

I think we should be getting behind these new businesses myself not running them into the ground just after they've opened. They are still cheaper on say 75% of items V's Tesco / Dunnes ect from what I could see.

I say fair play to them for giving us the option of something cheaper closer to home have having to troopse into letterkenny / Derry for it and they are creating jobs into the bargain, pardon the pun :pac:, so its a win win!

So is everyone walking to Dealz in Letterkenny?

Technique wrote: »

Fantastic contribution there, my comment is in response to CJC999's comment or to be more specific; " 17 miles away in strabane "....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Personally, I strut there and back. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Myself and "she who must be obeyed" were in there last week and found the prices on a lot of the items to be well below what you would pay in the local supermarkets.

Great to see a wee bit of competition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Fantastic contribution there, my comment is in response to CJC999's comment or to be more specific; " 17 miles away in strabane "....

But you based your conclusions regarding the savings on the assumption that he has zero miles to travel to Letterkenny. He may be 17 miles from Strabane, but 15 miles from Letterkenny.

But you based your conclusions regarding the savings on the assumption that he has zero miles to travel to Letterkenny. He may be 17 miles from Strabane, but 15 miles from Letterkenny.
    Pack it in ffs and stop the nit picking

Im just going to clarify a point here. I think the main focus of the thread is concerning the shop, it's products and prices and how it compares with other similar type shops or other larger shops that stock the same products.

I dont think anyone is going to undertake a journey of some miles with the sole intention of shopping only in a "bargain basement" type shop. While travelling costs is a small factor in any form of shopping it is certainly not exclusive to shopping in Dealz and I have to say the point was being over-emphasised in the last couple of posts thus detracting from the main topic.

My apologies to Technique for "keyboard shouting" in my last post but sometimes you have to shout in order to be heard.

Advertisement