Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fisher Peole What do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

looks interesting.

As a recent returnee to the joys of fishing I didnt know live flies could be used untill i saw it on TV a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

280special wrote: »
    looks interesting.

As a recent returnee to the joys of fishing I didnt know live flies could be used untill i saw it on TV a few weeks ago.

In Ireland besides the obvious Mayfly and Cranefly you can also use the wood fly and the Murrough, catching the latter is a little bit messy(fresh horse/cow **** as bait) and catching the former is very hard. Be lucky to get a handful but they are deadly late in the evening and the presentation is fantastic as they are tough strong bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

a list of natural live flies that can be used by the angler....some way more common than others...

mayflies
    daddy long legs
    grass hoppers
    crickets
    locust's
    damsel flies
    bumble bees (yes trout will take bees but rarely the wasp)
    large sedges

possibly a few others as well.....can anyone else add to this?

never heard of the wood fly before, you learn something new every day :)

not so sure the thing in the video is any better than a traditional box, its too small for grasshoppers who do better and last longer in a larger box.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

While the product looks well I'm not sure that it adds much value over and above the traditional boxes. Didn't notice the cost but I currently have two boxes that I use both of which are home made from wine/whiskey boxes so from a cost perspective I assume the product can't beat free...!!

Looks nice but don't see wholesale adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

a list of natural live flies that can be used by the angler....some way more common than others...

mayflies
    daddy long legs
    grass hoppers
    crickets
    locust's
    damsel flies
    bumble bees (yes trout will take bees but rarely the wasp)
    large sedges

possibly a few others as well.....can anyone else add to this?

never heard of the wood fly before, you learn something new every day :)

not so sure the thing in the video is any better than a traditional box, its too small for grasshoppers who do better and last longer in a larger box.

The Wood fly is deadly and fished on rivers during the early summer months. You would have a 100 or more in the Wood fly horn, traditionally made from cattle horn but I used a 12in 3.5in diameter pipe. Feed the stream by clipping a wing and dropping a few flys into the water, get the trout moving and then target the better fish. Very effective in the early summer with low water conditions.

I would scratch the bumble bee off the list as I can imagine a bunch or poor anglers getting stung to sh!t trying to put one on a dapping hook
    Also I would not use crickets or locusts as I tried them for yrs with little or no success, while fish were readily coming to the hopper or crane fly.

The Grass Hopper is excellent as well but I wouldn't classify it as a fly and I certainly would try to keep them in the bag advertised. They are better in a big box with some fresh wet grass. Now getting them out of said box can be a bit of a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

stylie wrote: »

I would scratch the bumble bee off the list as I can imagine a bunch or poor anglers getting stung to sh!t trying to put one on a dapping hook

dont be too quick to strike that one off the list, i have seen it done, albeit by a man who also happened to be a not only a good angler, but a longtime experienced bee keeper as well, so he sort of knew how to handle them, and trout will definitely take them i saw it.
    but your are right about 'poor' anglers who don't know how to handle the bee properly, that could be quite unpleasant.
    its funny you mentioned the cattle horn, that's how i saw the bees stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Well, at the very least on my behalf, many thanks !

A facit of flyfishing I hadnt a clue about !!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

Thanks for all the replies lads:-)

Advertisement