Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain UINavigationController in Obj C to me?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Howdy all, Struggling to make the leap from Flex to iOS development, primarily around the understanding of how Controllers manage Views. From what I have read a UINavigationController manages a series of views, 'pushing' and 'popping' them as required. I'm assuming the appdelegate controls all of this or at least has visibility? Have tried Googling mercilessly and found snippets but nothing that explains the concepts and how the might come together in XCode. Also have read and reread the Apple doc on ViewControllers but it't just not coming together.

Any pointers, pun intended, greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It's a tough one to give a high level explanation to. Perhaps look at Stanford lectures on iTunes U?

The AppDelegate doesn't manage a UINavigationController, you do. Typically you add and remove subviews to the controller in response to user input. You need to write the code to do this.

For example, you might add a subclass of UITableViewController to a UINavigationViewController and override functions that tell you when the user clicks on a table item. In respons to this touch, you could push a detail view onto the UINavigationController. The controller itself will handle all the navigation stuff.

When it comes to header buttons and the like, this is also stuff you set.

A lot of the iOS SDK samples use table views, it's the meat and potatoes of iOS apps so why not browse those for a simple example to play with?

Advertisement