Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

From around there and this is the first I've heard of that! :eek:

It's bad enough the landscape was raped by developers during the boom to make all the empty dilapidated holiday homes on the island now this kind of crap is being pulled. Probably some sort of misguided protest, if it cost €1million they can't be all that hard up for cash ffs......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

agreed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

this madness this. i cant see the reasoning or the need for it. the council are none too impressed, they have a high court injunction in place, itsue for a hearing before the end of the week, it would be more in his interest to finish the other hole in the ground he left first.

http://g.co/maps/2vdph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

What you really have to ask yourself is this!

Where did he get the money for this? Wasn't he up before the courts for owing millions to Anglo and telling them he has no money!

And this is the reality, he is a small fry in this disaster, yet he can get away with not paying his debts and giving the two fingers to the banks, the government and the Country. So now has the penny dropped, all the big guys that owe Billions and are not paying HAVE the money but wont pay it! And dont give a **** either!

What a joke!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    What you really have to ask yourself is this!

Where did he get the money for this? Wasn't he up before the courts for owing millions to Anglo and telling them he has no money!

And this is the reality, he is a small fry in this disaster, yet he can get away with not paying his debts and giving the two fingers to the banks, the government and the Country. So now has the penny dropped, all the big guys that owe Billions and are not paying HAVE the money but wont pay it! And dont give a **** either!

What a joke!

Exactly what I was thinking, was that not the reason he went to roll the dail down? It goes to show really doesn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

were exactly is this on achill?

google maps link would be helpful

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the article says pollagh hill, pollagh is between Dooagh and Keel if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What an arsehole, that's two eyesores he's now responsible for in a beautiful part of the country, this and the unfinished site in Keel.

skelliser wrote: »
    were exactly is this on achill?

google maps link would be helpful

i havent been down to achill the last few weeks but ill be taking a trip down to see this at the weekend. i may even take some pictures.

this is the hotel "they own" http://g.co/maps/yzqpk

is has to be near this, more than the likely on the hill behind as all the lorries with all these stones were packed at the hotel over the weekend according to my sources. they were planning to build a road up to the thing from the hotel but the council stopped that. google doesn't have a good satellite image of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

irishgeo wrote: »
    i havent been down to achill the last few weeks but ill be taking a trip down to see this at the weekend. i may even take some pictures.

this is the hotel "they own" http://g.co/maps/yzqpk

is has to be near this, more than the likely on the hill behind as all the lorries with all these stones were packed at the hotel over the weekend according to my sources. they were planning to build a road up to the thing from the hotel but the council stopped that. google doesn't have a good satellite image of the area.

You git it, its directly behind their hotel and get this, it gets better.

He hasn't done this on his own land, this joke has been built on commonage land. Or for those who dont know what that means, common land owned by the community.

He doesn't **** on his own door step either folks! Thats the breed of people who ****ed this country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    You git it, its directly behind their hotel and get this, it gets better.

He hasn't done this on his own land, this joke has been built on commonage land. Or for those who dont know what that means, common land owned by the community.

He doesn't **** on his own door step either folks! Thats the breed of people who ****ed this country.

Sounds like a bit unstable that chap with that behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Interesting to note the council's immediate action on this development while for years they have ignored other developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

If this is on common ground, what's to stop one of the neighbours doing a little drive through with a JCB........

What an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He is either an absolute genius or a complete lunatic.
    Going on his past behaviour where he appears to be blaming the bank for his own greed, I would put him in the lunatic category.

One thing for sure, he must have a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Probably some sort of misguided protest, if it cost €1million they can't be all that hard up for cash ffs......

Lads clearly i havent the first clue about the cost or pre cast concrete but...
    Where the Hell is the figure 1 million coming from? I mean... its slabs of concrete in a circle (from what i see) fired up over a weekend. Achillhenge :D

€10,000 €40,000 even €100,000 of money that a guy who claims to be be bankrupt shouldint be able to lay his hands on. Wonder will Joe duffy give him a spin today....

Never a dull moment with the man, i'll give him that :D Musint be any sheep up there :pac:

Is it no granite which he built it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

yop wrote: »
    Is it no granite which he built it?
    Over 30 articulated trucks arrived in Pollagh on Friday from Galway carrying pre-cast concrete, and work began in mid-morning.

Concrete wouldn't be massive money. The logistics of 30 trucks would be fairly pricey though.

themadchef wrote: »
    Lads clearly i havent the first clue about the cost or pre cast concrete but...
    Where the Hell is the figure 1 million coming from? I mean... its slabs of concrete in a circle (from what i see) fired up over a weekend. Achillhenge :D

€10,000 €40,000 even €100,000 of money that a guy who claims to be be bankrupt shouldint be able to lay his hands on. Wonder will Joe duffy give him a spin today....

Never a dull moment with the man, i'll give him that :D Musint be any sheep up there :pac:

Heard somewhere else the 1mill was a gross exageration, he still comes off as a hypocrite though. That article in the independent said it was planned though? And the council are only taking him to court over the road which was not allowed to be constructed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Concrete henges are better henges"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Great monument... Atleast Mayo was front page on the Indo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is the work finished or is there more to do?

At least Newgrange will have a bit of competition. ;)

Feck it, if we can't beat Meath at the GAA let's put one up on them via this project!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Is it still there? Got to take a trip to Achill for a few photos :) It's mad, but I have to say I like it, even if it has torn up some countryside. Once the grass grows back and it stops looking like a building site...well - why not? A place for contemplation, a place with no real purpose - ah, I'm really hoping it's allowed to stay as a testament to eccentricity, even though it's concentric, itself...erm...yeah.

finisklin wrote: »
    Is the work finished or is there more to do?

At least Newgrange will have a bit of competition. ;)

Feck it, if we can't beat Meath at the GAA let's put one up on them via this project!

something to go in the center yet. ill pop down for some pictures over the weekend if the weather permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

He's going for a little holiday....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1202/breaking45.html

"Property developer Joe McNamara has been jailed until next Tuesday by a High Court judge for contempt of an order requiring him to immediately cease building a ‘Stonehenge-like structure’ which he intends as a “place of reflection” on Achill Island......"

There hasn't been this much excitement around the island in a long time :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There hasn't been this much excitement around the island in a long time :D

i agree, the whole country talking about little old achill island.

i definitely have to get some pictures before it gets taken down.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    i agree, the whole country talking about little old achill island.

i definitely have to get some pictures before it gets taken down.

Yea might go down for a look myself! Think the weather won't be as bad as today over the weekend.

Advertisement