Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Absolute hypocrite. Protesting the government bailing out the banks, not paying his own bills.

Then goes off and spends a fortune, which could be used to put food on the tables of the people he owes money to, on a useless structure while sticking his fingers up at the whole planning process.

Leave him behind bars, he deserves no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

irishgeo wrote: »
    i agree, the whole country talking about little old achill island.

i definitely have to get some pictures before it gets taken down.

Please post them here:D
    Great for tourism in achill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Its dam ugly, but as a post modernistic statement on the artistic, imaginative and creative side on the downturn in development and construction laying waste to this country, with a nod to the industrys clear disregard for our cultural and archeological history, it speaks volumes.

Might as well leave it there provided the other commonage landowners are happy to do so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Maybe it's a kind of therapy for him, to help him deal, cope with his financial problems, stresses etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finisklin wrote: »
    Maybe it's a kind of therapy for him, to help him deal, cope with his financial problems, stresses etc?

4 nights in jail is hardly going to help.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oldtree wrote: »
    Might as well leave it there...
    Not a sentiment that's entirely consistent with planning legislation.

not as unsightly as all the unauthorised quarries mayo coco have done nothing about over the last few years. If fact not as unsightly as the quarries that mayo coco registered under the 2004 section 261 that should not have been registered at all. Should they be commended on taking strike action on a development that they knew would take to the national stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

4 nights in jail is hardly going to help.

Yeah but at least the building of it over the weekend might have helped him purge his demons. The four days in jail will help him reflect further.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

finisklin wrote: »
    Yeah but at least the building of it over the weekend might have helped him purge his demons. The four days in jail will help him reflect further.......

Purge his demons me hole :D! He's making a point, and no, Ive no idea what that point is either.
    Distraction, deflection or delirium, who the Hell knows. One thing is for sure. That man is one step ahead of anyone that's after him. It takes cash to organise a stunt like that. A broken man he is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Wow thanks for the posts... It seem there is more to this guy that his bleeding heart stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Achill-henge.jpg

An audacious undertaking to attract far more tourists to beautiful Achill Island.

As a guerilla gardener I cannot help but admire the effort and ingenuity involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I think this is a brilliant structure, both asthetically and in concept. I will canvass as much support as I can from the artistic community to lobby to have it retained.

Congratulations to all involved, brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

I think this is a brilliant structure, both asthetically and in concept. I will canvass as much support as I can from the artistic community to lobby to have it retained.

Congratulations to all involved, brilliant!

Looking forward to seeing more messages like this.

Achill Island is in dire need of more tourism. It's a lovely place to visit at any time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mindme wrote: »
    Achill-henge.jpg

An audacious undertaking to attract far more tourists to beautiful Achill Island.

As a guerilla gardener I cannot help but admire the effort and ingenuity involved.

It's certainly a huge leap forward from the apparitions, moving statues and silhouettes in tree trunks we usually see in recessional times. Nothing brings spending tourists like a bit of auld prayer controversy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

When is Joe Mc up in court again , he never lost does shifty eyes :D

teepee wrote: »
    When is Joe Mc up in court again , he never lost does shifty eyes :D

today is court day for joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

The council want it demolished, I better get back soon for a look!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1207/breaking32.html

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    The council want it demolished, I better get back soon for a look!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1207/breaking32.html

expect a long walk. you cant see it from the road, only 2 places it can be seen from accessible by car. The top of minauin where the tv mast is, you are a long way away.

the second place is up by lough corrymore up by keem.

youll need binos i say or or a zoom lens to get pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

On TV3 news now.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A couple of pictures taken from Minaun at the weekend - visibility was poor and it was crazy windy, so apologies for the quality.

184241.JPG

To give a sense of context:

184242.JPG

expect a long walk. you cant see it from the road, only 2 places it can be seen from accessible by car. The top of minauin where the tv mast is, you are a long way away.

the second place is up by lough corrymore up by keem.

youll need binos i say or or a zoom lens to get pics.

Aw bugger! I thought it would be easier to get to than that. That confuses me even more. What's the point of it so!

Maybe it's a Scientology landing site......... hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ... To give a sense of context: ...

Bungalow Bliss !!

Mayo Miss wrote: »

Maybe it's a Scientology landing site......... hmmmmmm

Well i hope the mother ship docks soon, the lunatics are running the asylum.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are you from achill? If you are you're the first local I've heard supporting this thing. It's bad enough McNamara has left a nice big hole in the middle of keel village, it wil be a terribley bad example to set in these hard times if this thing is allowed to stay standing IMHO.

They are stuck between a rock and a guard place here.

Leave it standing and you set a precedence for the future.

Knock it, and well, follow the letter of the law but it's not really doing any damage is it? Ok, it's on commonage and it's got a load of complications attached to it but maybe they can work it out. Seems such a waste to knock it.

Im not drum beater for Joe. Anyone who owes that amount of money, ya have to question how one manages to lay his hands on cash to organise a stunt like this. The milk is spilt, (or concrete is built in this case is a better metaphor in this case) so the question really is where to from here?

Why destroy even more, to make a further point, or example of him? He really is one step ahead at every turn and anyone that thinks differently is a fool. hats off to him. His smirk says it all.

....(And yes, i'm a local, im not supporting him, anyone, i just hate to think of it being destroyed. It's on commonage, so technically he doesnt own it? Am i wrong about that? Could it not be a community thing???) Can Achill not turn this to its advantage for once..also yes, i am as green as grass before you ask :D)

planning application in, in the form of a section 5 (is it or is it not exempted development)???

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=11781&la=1

Oldtree wrote: »
    planning application in, in the form of a section 5 (is it or is it not exempted development)???

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=11781&la=1

Am I missing something or are there no drawings of the "structure" itself? Except for a circle drawn on maps.

Surely there has to be some idea of what it's supposed to look like when it's finished. I still don't understand how he can build on land he doesn't own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think its commonage in which he has a share.

Advertisement