Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes and he may well now have permission of the other tenants too. That would put the ownership issue to bed really.
    I dont rate that as a valid application. It doesnt appear to state the use/function of the structure and as such it is pretty impossible for the planning authority to make any declaration as to its status.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yop wrote: »
    I think its commonage in which he has a share.

I'm pretty sure you can't go building on commonage at random unless he got the backing of everyone else with a stake in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Agree with Mickeroo. Huge number in that commonage, many not traceable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't go building on commonage at random unless he got the backing of everyone else with a stake in it.

For sure on that, but my comment was in more of a response to the "its not his own lad", in a kinda of a way it is, but its not either at the same time! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yop wrote: »
    For sure on that, but my comment was in more of a response to the "its not his own lad", in a kinda of a way it is, but its not either at the same time! :D

Hah right I get you.:D

Even if people are just walking on commonage sometimes some of the locals kick up a fuss, I really can't see them being ok with that being built, especially considering theres a known trouble maker around that area who doesn't take kindly to folks using the commonage, though they may not have rights to pollagh hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Personally, i think it will be knocked and there will be a huge bill for knocking it and disposing of the rubble.

themadchef wrote: »
    Personally, i think it will be knocked and there will be a huge bill for knocking it and disposing of the rubble.

Agree with that, seems the most likely conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Not sure who will knock it? The court can order mcNamara to knock it but whether or not he does is a different story.

I can't actually see the council going in and pulling it down. As someone has already indicated the initial problem was with the road access and not the structure.

The planning process will have to run its course but it is not going to be today or tomorrow that it will be taken down.

finisklin wrote: »
    Not sure who will knock it? The court can order mcNamara to knock it but whether or not he does is a different story.

I can't actually see the council going in and pulling it down. As someone has already indicated the initial problem was with the road access and not the structure.

The planning process will have to run its course but it is not going to be today or tomorrow that it will be taken down.

Is that definitely the case? Every news story I read seems to have something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Wonder what the response would be if he had built a pre-fab church over the weekend?

• Advertisement

Vandy West wrote: »
    Wonder what the response would be if he had built a pre-fab church over the weekend?

People seem to have a huge horn for this guy at the moment so maybe we'd all be saying the rosary. Hell, i dunno :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Vandy West wrote: »

Sinead O'connor wouldn't have had to go to Vegas to get married for a start! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

She coulda gone kite-surfing for her honeymoon too, with a bit of luck..

Went to the checkout in the local hardware shop and there it was, it all its glory. Full, more than full, signed above and below the lines :confused: A petition: "Save Achill Henge" I kid you not.

Sometimes i think i need to get out more, some times, im sorry i leave the house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

I go to the area lots, I really think the hole in keel should be sorted first. shows the priorities of MCC are personal. the village is destroyed with the gaping hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

themadchef wrote: »
    Went to the checkout in the local hardware shop and there it was, it all its glory. Full, more than full, signed above and below the lines :confused: A petition: "Save Achill Henge" I kid you not.

Sometimes i think i need to get out more, some times, im sorry i leave the house :D

surely not in sweeney's , they be more likely to be upset joe didnt get the building materials off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the council have sent out a further information request with a request for speed for the reply. I assumed that mr mcnamara lived in achill, but the address on the FI request indicates an address in Salthill Galway.

Oldtree wrote: »
    the council have sent out a further information request with a request for speed for the reply. I assumed that mr mcnamara lived in achill, but the address on the FI request indicates an address in Salthill Galway.

he has houses in both areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mayo454

I really love it hope its kept :)

Is it my imagination or what, but have the council removed the section 5 application documents from public view???? The mystery deepens.... ;)
    New application has come up at the front page so that usually means that further docs have been submitted, will have to go and have a look :p

• Advertisement

Is it my imagination or what, but have the council removed the section 5 application documents from public view???? The mystery deepens.... ;)
    New application has come up at the front page so that usually means that further docs have been submitted, will have to go and have a look :p

Took a walk up to it at the weekend. A bit bigger than I expected it to be, it's an awful eyesore though.

I'm kinda glad i havent a clue about that stuff or i imagine i'd be on blood pressure meds by now ;)
    Took a walk up to it at the weekend. A bit bigger than I expected it to be, it's an awful eyesore though.

Aww i was kinda hoping that on the shortest day of the year we'd have had candle lit vigils, sacrificial lambs :D (couple of Anglo bankers) lined up and alot of shady looking fellas in hooded robes :pac:. Birra criac if nothing else, Island will have a track worn up to it over the New year. Pop into the Head for a hot one on the way home to discuss your views on it.

Im a bit bah hum bug about the whole thing. Part of me wants him to stick two fingers up to the system but most of me thinks you shouldint just be able to fire up something like that and then look for the planning for it.

Funny that!! I am on blood pressure meds.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

I like it.
    I like the way it's slowly revealed to you as you go up the track. There's a moment of disbelief when you think you're there & can't find it & then -boom. There it is.
    I like the way it sits in the landscape & not on top of it like a pimple. It feels grounded, as though it's coming up from the earth. But without trying to fake it, as the choice of material demonstrates. Standing it it feels good. It's impressive without being overpowering.
    I'm interested to see what the finished piece will be like. I hope it makes it to the end of it's journey.
    I also think it puts public art pieces to shame with relation to the time things take to get done. (Granted things went at breakneck speed here due to zero paperwork!)

It's worth a look & then it's worth calling in to Sweeney's at the Sound to sign the petition!

I like it.
    I like the way it's slowly revealed to you as you go up the track. There's a moment of disbelief when you think you're there & can't find it & then -boom. There it is.
    I like the way it sits in the landscape & not on top of it like a pimple. It feels grounded, as though it's coming up from the earth. But without trying to fake it, as the choice of material demonstrates. Standing it it feels good. It's impressive without being overpowering.
    I'm interested to see what the finished piece will be like. I hope it makes it to the end of it's journey.
    I also think it puts public art pieces to shame with relation to the time things take to get done. (Granted things went at breakneck speed here due to zero paperwork!)

It's worth a look & then it's worth calling in to Sweeney's at the Sound to sign the petition!

they have a petition, i been in there a few times over the Christmas and i didnt see one. not that id sign it anyway but.

I like it.

Big lumps of pre-cast concrete?

:D

not quite Stonehenge is it.

BLOCKHENGE!?!?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

Yep.

(And the petition is in Sweeney's hardware not the supermarket.)

• Advertisement

shows the priorities of MCC are personal.

Would have to agree that is what it looks like. The mayo news article this week says this issue back in court on the 31st January. MCC website has a decision on the section 5 application due on the 12th January.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14448:archaeologist-objects-to-achill-henge&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Never known them to be so rapidly proactive with an unauthorised development before, NEVER!!!

Advertisement