Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was up around Westport/Achill at the week end.

Didn't see the 'henge but on Achill I couldn't believe the sprawls of houses of all shapes and sizes on every road, lane and track around Keel.

I said to myself must be easy to get planning permission around here ;)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Nice little write up in the Mayo this week.

On a side note, i was in work today, we had a funeral reception, generally we're not open this time of year for food mid week as it's tumble weed season. The door flew open and (cue theme tune from The good, the bad, and the ugly) Two "mainlanders :D landed in looking for sangidges and táe... they were just after visiting?............. Yup the Henge... so i dunno. From a business point of view this could be a big spinner for the season.

As a local? He can go Fu... Swivel! :D

Linky to Mayo news story.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14448:archaeologist-objects-to-achill-henge&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Archaeologist objects to Achill-henge

Edwin McGreal

As Mayo County Council prepare to make their decision this week on whether the controversial Achill-henge development on a hilltop in Pollagh should be classed as an exempted development, an Achill-based archaeologist has spoken out against the structure.
    Theresa McDonald is the Managing Director of the renowned Achill Archaeological Field School and a leading member of the Achill Historial and Archaeological Society, this week she outlined her objections to the Stonehenge-esque structure built at Pollagh in November by controversial developer Joe McNamara.
    “We’re worried that there is an archeological site, mostly prehistoric, less than half a kilometre from the site,” she told The Mayo News. “It is mostly covered by bog, as are a lot of sites in Ireland. There was also an old railway line from Slieve Mor going through the site of the so-called ‘henge’ to Purteen Harbour, that’s gone now because of the unauthorised development.
    “The [archaeological] site is on the Sites and Monuments Record for Co Mayo. There is evidence of there possibly being a bronze age monument and we don’t know how extensive the site is, in theory it could stretch to the site of the Henge,” said Ms McDonald.
    Ms McDonald, whose Field School has in the region of 100 students due to come to the island this year, says that one of the steps Joe McNamara would have had to take in a planning application was an archaeological survey.
    “There is a planning process there and I don’t see why this should be an exception. If the gentleman in question, Mr McNamara, had applied for planning permission to Mayo County Council, he would have been asked to employ an archeologist to survey the site and see if there are archeological deposits in the vicinity. The council would then base their planning decision partly on this basis,” added Ms McDonald.
    The committee of the Achill Historical and Archaeological Society have also expressed their objection to the development. In a letter to The Mayo News Gerard Mangan, Secretary of the Achill Historical and Archaeological Society, said that allowing the development to stand would have ‘grave implications for the future preservation’ of other archaeological sites in the area as ‘it may lead to other inappropriate developments elsewhere in the area’.
    Senior Planning Officer with Mayo County Council, Iain Douglas confirmed to The Mayo News yesterday that they would have a decision this week in relation to Joe McNamara’s application to have the Achill-henge development classified as exempt from planning. Should Mayo County Council refuse that application, Mr McNamara can appeal to An Bord Pleanála.
    Meanwhile both Mayo County Council and Joe McNamara will return to the High Court on January 31 next. The council have indicated that they will seek an order compelling Mr McNamara to take the unauthorised development down

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

finally made it west for my annual sitbythefireandwatchtherain
    followed the well signposted way up behind the hotel to the 'henge thanks to whoever painted them!
    its huge! i was expecting big but.... some amount of work went into this!

the first photo is in the center, any ideas what it might be??
    looks like a flucht fia to me(hope thats the right spelling)

its located just behind where im standing in the other photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

finally made it west for my annual sitbythefireandwatchtherain
    followed the well signposted way up behind the hotel to the 'henge thanks to whoever painted them!
    its huge! i was expecting big but.... some amount of work went into this

the first photo is in the center, any ideas what it might be??
    looks like a flucht fia to me(hope thats the right spelling)

its located just behind where im standing in the other photo

Thanks for the pics! Havent a clue what they represent, but the pic with you in it is great for an idea of the scale of the thing!
    some amount of work went into this

Now for my biggest issue.

If he put half as much fúcking work into the planning and develpoment of the site like the rest of the country have to do then he wouldint be in the eye of the shít storm that he's in \ Of coures he wouldint have half the free publicity either.

Joe is not stupid, in fact, complety the opposite, steps ahead. To be admired and the council would do well to have all their paper work in order. This man will take alot of knocking, as will his concrete ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Section 5 with Mayo coco finalised but the backing documents are being kept off the website, super secret!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

themadchef wrote: »
    If he put half as much fúcking work into the planning and develpoment of the site like the rest of the country have to do then he wouldint be in the eye of the shít storm that he's in

Not sure if Irish planning and development is a model of best practise (or less practise?) given what has come to light in recent years.......even if he did go through the proper channels he would never have been granted permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hoping to take trip out there tomorrow. can anyone tell me exactly how to get to it? i presume from the photos above wellies might be a good choice of footwear? :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I think this "henge" structure could be really good and positive for Achill. Its not ugly and if some landscaping was done around it, well it could be really, really good.

After all the effort and cost of building it, it would be a terrible shame to just knock it, its beautiful.

I have seen some public art that is complete rubbish, compared to this.

I can't wait to go see it!

mayo COCO have decided to let us look at some of the backing documents to the section 5 which makes for very interesting reading. Mr Joe is going to smack some botbot imo! :D
    The final declaration by MCC has been withheld though? :rolleyes:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=11781&la=1

and there is a map of how to get there too, how kind.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

artyeva wrote: »
    hoping to take trip out there tomorrow. can anyone tell me exactly how to get to it? i presume from the photos above wellies might be a good choice of footwear? :)

keep you eye out for a sign on the right when you pass the achill head hotel.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    keep you eye out for a sign on the right when you pass the achill head hotel.

aye, found it eventually. it's about 1km past the hotel. parked at the farmer's shed - but still nearly took the sump off the car on the way up that far!! tis a pity some witless wonders have found the need to daub it with graffitti though. i long for the day when writing 't*ts* and *ars*' on something no longer signifies some sort of bravado to the the simpleminded, i really do. :rolleyes:

anyway here's a photo i took of it:

6704348845_ce1b5e79ab_z.jpg

i hope he gets to finish it. it'd be nice if there was some landscaping done around it and whatever is meant for the centre gets finished.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    mayo COCO have decided to let us look at some of the backing documents to the section 5 which makes for very interesting reading. Mr Joe is going to smack some botbot imo! biggrin.gif
    The final declaration by MCC has been withheld though? :rolleyes:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=11781&la=1

and there is a map of how to get there too, how kind.

out of interest, why does that make interesting reading?? apart from learning that some guy in wicklow uses the opportunity to agree with it to make his point that he doesn't like white gables?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

out of interest, why does that make interesting reading?? apart from learning that some guy in wicklow uses the opportunity to agree with it to make his point that he doesn't like white gables?! :pac:

Its interesting because we now get to see the approach he is taking with the planning department. You may not have read the cover letter attached to the further information response but he is basically pulling up the council on technicalities of the planning acts.
    He also catches them on a couple of legal points in that the planning officers swore in court that they didnt know what it was but also stated in court that it was unauthorised due to no planning permission. Joe is arguing that depending on use it could still be exempt and therefore doesnt feel he should nominate a use at this time.

It all seems very childish to me. I cant see this working out for him.

yeah, i did read that.

and technically he does have a point. he's just playing them at their own game as far as i can see. fair play to him, at least he's having a go. i do kinda pity the people who live on that road though. if we'd known where it was we'd not have driven up the road so far. it can't be fun having so many cars up and down all the time. that road's just not built for it. :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mickdw wrote: »
    Joe is arguing that depending on use it could still be exempt and therefore doesnt feel he should nominate a use at this time.
    That's as specious a line of reasoning as I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yeah, i did read that.

and technically he does have a point. he's just playing them at their own game as far as i can see. fair play to him, at least he's having a go. i do kinda pity the people who live on that road though. if we'd known where it was we'd not have driven up the road so far. it can't be fun having so many cars up and down all the time. that road's just not built for it. :(

his family home is up that road

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's as specious a line of reasoning as I've seen in a long time.

Not as spurious as some of the reasoning I've seen given by both the council and An bord Pleanala for granting planning permission for Quarries, even when aerial photos show no quarry there in 1995 and therefore does not qualify for the pre 1964 rule.

Mayo News has it that the section 5 has been refused. See here:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14489:achill-henge-planning-exemption-application-refused&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

irishgeo wrote: »
    his family home is up that road

oh, i didn't know that. but er.. that doesn't detract from the fact that the road's now mangled, and the more people go to see it, the worse it's gonna get!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Curiosity got the better of me so I headed down there at the weekend. Its a lot bigger in real life than it looks in the pictures. I took a few panoramic shots to add to the ones already uploaded earlier.

PANO_20120116_143026.jpg
    PANO_20120116_142839.jpg
    PANO_20120116_142651.jpg

next court date is the 31st Jan when mayo co co are going to ask for it to be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Were the graffiti bandits at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

next court date is the 31st Jan when mayo co co are going to ask for it to be taken down.

Anybody know how Joe got on today in court ?

teepee wrote: »
    Anybody know how Joe got on today in court ?

no word the mayo news website will be your best bet.

update in the mayo news yday:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14617:achill-henge-high-court-case-adjourned&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

"The High Court action taken by Mayo County Council against developer Joe McNamara over the controversial Achill-henge development on a hilltop near Pollagh, Achill has been adjourned for a further three weeks.
    A full hearing on the matter was expected to commence last Tuesday, January 31, but counsel for Joe McNamara sought an adjournment last week and were granted a three week adjournment to Tuesday, February 21.
    Mayo County Council have indicated they are seeking an order compelling Joe McNamara to take down the Stonehenge-esque development which he built over the course of one weekend last November.
    The Council argue that the development, which consists of 30 concrete columns which form a circular structure, is an unauthorised development as it was built without permission.
    However Mr McNamara has applied for the development to be exempt from planning permission because the circle of columns is unenclosed.
    Mayo County Council refused that application earlier this month but Mr McNamara has since taken the matter to An Bord Pleanála. That application was lodged on January 18.
    Whether the High Court hearing can proceed before a decision is made from An Bord Pleanála remains to be seen. A council spokesperson told The Mayo News yesterday that they were of the belief that the High Court case can go ahead."

As Mr Mcnamara has appealed the section 5 to ABP, it is suprising that the council believe that they can go ahead with the case before the outcome is known from ABP as in previous cases with quarrys, for example, is that enforcement action was delayed by the judge until the outcome of the planning application appeal was known. Not that MCC took much enforcement court action before the planning process was over, nor afterward it must be said. see the number of court actions in their annual report??? :rolleyes:

Oldtree wrote: »
    update in the mayo news yday:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14617:achill-henge-high-court-case-adjourned&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

"The High Court action taken by Mayo County Council against developer Joe McNamara over the controversial Achill-henge development on a hilltop near Pollagh, Achill has been adjourned for a further three weeks.
    A full hearing on the matter was expected to commence last Tuesday, January 31, but counsel for Joe McNamara sought an adjournment last week and were granted a three week adjournment to Tuesday, February 21.
    Mayo County Council have indicated they are seeking an order compelling Joe McNamara to take down the Stonehenge-esque development which he built over the course of one weekend last November.
    The Council argue that the development, which consists of 30 concrete columns which form a circular structure, is an unauthorised development as it was built without permission.
    However Mr McNamara has applied for the development to be exempt from planning permission because the circle of columns is unenclosed.
    Mayo County Council refused that application earlier this month but Mr McNamara has since taken the matter to An Bord Pleanála. That application was lodged on January 18.
    Whether the High Court hearing can proceed before a decision is made from An Bord Pleanála remains to be seen. A council spokesperson told The Mayo News yesterday that they were of the belief that the High Court case can go ahead."

As Mr Mcnamara has appealed the section 5 to ABP, it is suprising that the council believe that they can go ahead with the case before the outcome is known from ABP as in previous cases with quarrys, for example, is that enforcement action was delayed by the judge until the outcome of the planning application appeal was known. Not that MCC took much enforcement court action before the planning process was over, nor afterward it must be said. see the number of court actions in their annual report??? :rolleyes:

joe get a big write up in the daily mail today about the appeal to ABP.

also gets a mentioned for not paying income tax in 2007 or 08 got a 10k fine for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17034637

3rd most read article today on BBC!

thekooman wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17034637

3rd most read article today on BBC!

No such thing as bad publicity.:D

No such thing as bad publicity.:D

agreed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is that artyeva's picture that BBC are using?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gordon wrote: »
    Is that artyeva's picture that BBC are using?

That was my reaction when I saw it too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Going by the name I think thats the clue :)

Advertisement