Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i like it... mayo coco should leave it up. would be a good tourist attraction...... nutjob developer's achillhenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

yup, that's mine, was contacted by the bbc a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

artyeva wrote: »
    yup, that's mine, was contacted by the bbc a few days ago.

quids in so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Backing docs for appeal up on MCC website:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=11781&la=1

and the ABP page to keep an interested eye on:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/RL2965.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Cannot understand why he didnt put some limestone effect imprinted mouldings on the inside of the shutters,it would have cost nothing in the great scheme of things and it would have looked great.

• Advertisement

thought the ABP decision was in march , now seems to pushed out to may?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oldtree wrote: »

Oh no, they'll ruin the picturesque slabs of concrete :pac:

:eek: oh you heathan, have you not heard of duchamp's toilet, way ahead of its time. :D:D:D

THE developer known as the 'Anglo Avenger' will have to tell a judge what the Stonehenge-like structure he built on Achill Island without planning permission is for.

Joe McNamara (41) came to prominence in September 2010 when he drove a cement lorry emblazoned with the words 'toxic bank' and 'Anglo' up to the gates of Leinster House.

Dubbed the 'Anglo Avenger', he was later cleared of dangerous driving and criminal damage over the incident.

Last November, he was at the centre of more controversy over the appearance of the Achill Island structure -- dubbed Achill-henge -- which is 4.5m high and 30m in diameter.

Mayo County Council brought High Court proceedings against him and he agreed to cease work on the structure after serving three days for contempt of court.

Yesterday, Mr Justice Roderick Murphy gave lawyers representing Mr McNamara two weeks to put down on affidavit what exactly the structure is and what purpose it serves.

The court heard previously Mr McNamara, with addresses at Achill Island, Co Mayo, and Salthill, Co Galway, claimed that the structure was a place of reflection and did not require planning permission.

Mr Justice Murphy adjourn-ed the matter to a date later this month.

Looks like we will get an answer soon as to what Joe's thinking behind Achill-henge was.:D

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Looks like we will get an answer soon as to what Joe's thinking behind Achill-henge was.:D
    Joe should go all secret of Fatima on them and refuse to divlge to anyone but Seanie Fitzpatrick.

tipptom wrote: »
    Joe should go all secret of Fatima on them and refuse to divlge to anyone but Seanie Fitzpatrick.

perhaps that is the 3rd secret? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

perhaps that is the 3rd secret? :D

Poor joe ,

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14833:purpose-of-achill-henge-to-be-declared&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

not sure did Joe declare what Achill-henge was for today or not?

nothing on the google news wire about it.

if you have not visited it, i suggest you do, as its not going to last much longer.

High court tells him to pull it down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcnamara-ordered-to-tear-down-achill-henge-543664.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

if you have not visited it, i suggest you do, as its not going to last much longer.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcnamara-ordered-to-tear-down-achill-henge-543664.html

I went out to see it on Sunday and it is one ugly monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 glassmullan

Would like to go and see it will be in Westport in the next few weekends, any helpful directions or GPS location

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would like to go and see it will be in Westport in the next few weekends, any helpful directions or GPS location

Once you get to achill keep driving along the main road down the island. Keep going through keel then past the Achill Head Hotel. Once you pass the hotel keep an eye out on your right for a hand painted sign that says achill henge poining up a road. follow that road up the hill, you can park up just past the farmers shed up there then its about a 5 or 10 minute walk further up the road.

awww i was hoping it would still be up when i get home to visit

awww i was hoping it would still be up when i get home to visit

it may well be, cant see joe paying to take it down and put the land back the way it was nor can i see the council doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 glassmullan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Once you get to achill keep driving along the main road down the island. Keep going through keel then past the Achill Head Hotel. Once you pass the hotel keep an eye out on your right for a hand painted sign that says achill henge poining up a road. follow that road up the hill, you can park up just past the farmers shed up there then its about a 5 or 10 minute walk further up the road.

many thanks "Mickeroo", very helpful directions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like An Bord Planeala has sounded the death knell for Joe MacNamara's Achill-Henge project. From here and here

finisklin wrote: »
    Looks like An Bord Planeala has sounded the death knell for Joe MacNamara's Achill-Henge project. From here and here

one wonders who going to pay to take it down and restore the land back to the way he found it. i cant see joe doing it

one wonders who going to pay to take it down and restore the land back to the way he found it. i cant see joe doing it
    According to the papers yesterday he is beleived to be working in London and proving very elusive from serving any papers to any of his 5 known address on foot of his loan for a Jaguar convertible.

According to the papers yesterday he is beleived to be working in London and proving very elusive from serving any papers to any of his 5 known address on foot of his loan for a Jaguar convertible.

He will be at the top of the croagh patrick this sunday.:D

There is a secret chamber at the center of the henge.... he's there :D

He will be at the top of the croagh patrick this sunday.:D
    Hope it not in the jaguar,dont think its all terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Just came across this piece on Achill Henge.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0108/3465304-achill-henge-statement-or-eyesore/

FIrst time I have heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Just came across this piece on Achill Henge.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0108/3465304-achill-henge-statement-or-eyesore/

FIrst time I have heard anything about it.

Great piece. But was that fella singing at the end was priceless.

• Advertisement

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Great piece. But was that fella singing at the end was priceless.

It was on prime time on tuesday.

Advertisement