Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill-henge

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

Negative, Negative, Negative - doom, doom, doom!!

So he broke the law and made something beautiful ... it is art and it has meaning and it will be around for thousands of years from now...

and this has massive story telling potential ...

I love this guy, just wish there were more people like him, he makes me proud to be a mayo person.

Dare to Dream Folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Negative, Negative, Negative - doom, doom, doom!!

So he broke the law and made something beautiful ... it is art and it has meaning and it will be around for thousands of years from now...

and this has massive story telling potential ...

I love this guy, just wish there were more people like him, he makes me proud to be a mayo person.

Dare to Dream Folks ;)

If you call that art, I don't want to go to your gallery!

It's a mess.

grass grows back .... its very very beautiful

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Give it a rest Joe.

Ever notice people that 'give out' about this and 'give out' about that ...
    seldom do much else with their lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Is it still there? If it is I might have a spin up there tomorrow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ever notice people that 'give out' about this and 'give out' about that ...
    seldom do much else with their lives?

Your not adding anything to this thread, don't continue it.
    Last warning

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it still there? If it is I might have a spin up there tomorrow

Yeah it's still there.

Bye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I was up there at the weekend to have a look, and i have to say i wasn't impressed.
    I think the thing that spoiled it for me was the drab, utilitarian-ness of it - it was like soviet Russia doing prehistoric monuments.
    There didn't seem to be any 'soul' to it. Maybe it was because the whole site just looked like a building site, and the blocks were so bland and characterless, and although i'm glad i went to see it, it was just 'meh'.

Also, it seems to be a bit less sign-posted than previous posters seem to suggest - i didn't see any signs for it until i eventually found the right road up to it.
    When driving through Pollagh, on the main road, just next to (i think) St Patrick's church there is a signpost for "Hilltop Art Gallery" take that road, and you'll see some signs for "Achill Henge" by the road - although some of them had been knocked down and were laid face-down on the verge. The road is very rough and there is a 'speed hump' that will rip the bottom out of your car unless you have a 4x4 or something. So park where you can and walk up. I think someone mentioned the farmer's shed - the 'speed hump' is right before that, possibly to stop people parking there.

Also <shameless self promotion> some of my pics here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Great pics,is that graffiti I see on the inside?,should contribute to the east German cold war look.Think Joe could have pushed the boat out a bit more when he was casting the blocks by putting a mould inside the box that would have given it more of a rough hewn look stone instead of a sharp honeycombe concrete sewage works look,but maybe it was a great artists unfinished symphoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Also <shameless self promotion> some of my pics here

I love Lenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I love Lenny!

Hahahah, yeah, he's my muse - although he can be a wee rascal sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I am going to go to Achill with friends to see this Achill-henge. Is it far from the "speed-bump" that people mention? Where is the best place to park?

Very interesting story, I wonder where the builder is now, whats he doing to earn a crust? Is he enjoying life like Fitzpatrick and the other bankers are?

People talk of the developers "ground zero" elsewhere in Achill. Is there any interpretative centre explaining what went on....what was planned for it, how much it cost, what happened, what did not happen etc.

As someone else said" it is art and it has meaning and it will be around for thousands of years from now... and this has massive story telling potential ... I love this guy, just wish there were more people like him..."

If it was the council it would take them a year to build something half the size. To think it was made in a weekend is amazing, judging by the photos. Much nicer than any official commissioned Irish art of recent times, a true monument to the celtic tiger using concrete, the material of the celtic tiger. In 200 years time people will look on McNamara as a hero who stood up to the rotten bank / government establishment and who left an aesthetic creation for future generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I am thinking of going to Achill with friends to see this Achill-henge....I believe its still standing? Is it far from the "speed-bump" that people mention? Where is the best place to park?

Very interesting story, I wonder where the builder is now, whats he doing to earn a crust? Is he enjoying life like Fitzpatrick and the other bankers are?

People talk of the developers "ground zero" elsewhere in Achill. Is there any interpretative centre or local shop explaining what went on....what was planned for it, how much it cost, what happened, what did not happen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

maryishere wrote: »
    I am going to go to Achill with friends to see this Achill-henge. Is it far from the "speed-bump" that people mention? Where is the best place to park?

People talk of the developers "ground zero" elsewhere in Achill. Is there any interpretative centre explaining what went on....what was planned for it, how much it cost, what happened, what did not happen etc.

As someone else said" it is art and it has meaning and it will be around for thousands of years from now... and this has massive story telling potential ... I love this guy, just wish there were more people like him..."

If it was the council it would take them a year to build something half the size. To think it was made in a weekend is amazing, judging by the photos. Much nicer than any official commissioned Irish art of recent times, a true monument to the celtic tiger using concrete, the material of the celtic tiger. In 200 years time people will look on McNamara as a hero who stood up to the rotten bank / government establishment and who left an aesthetic creation for future generations.

:rolleyes: oh dear , he didnt stand up to anyone.

Advertisement