Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Video Production

Options
  • 29-11-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,
    Can anyone advise as to what would be the best type of video camera to invest in for shooting commercial/promo videos which would then be uploaded to a website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I hear the RED Epic is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

RED is like 20k before you put equipment and lenses on, you can rent RED cameras in Ireland.

Get an SLR OP, something like a Canon 7d or 60d maybe, there's always Canon 5d II.

TBH there are loads of cheap cameras out there that are being used in commercial videos like the go-pro and some of the Kodak stuff.

What are you making?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If it's going to be on the likes of youtube or any other website good HD isn't going to be a major concern, you'll just want something that can produce a nice image easily.

Unless your planning to do serious editing on the video files you can get the best consumer camcorder. Have a look at the current months top ten reviews and see if there's any geared for youtubing.

Don't knock 35mm film either. It looks great even at 240p on Youtube.com

Perfect for sharing videos of your cat, flowers, or anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

m83 wrote: »
    I hear the RED Epic is pretty good.

:D
    sparky28 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise as to what would be the best type of video camera to invest in for shooting commercial/promo videos which would then be uploaded to a website.

What's your budget?
    Is this a one of thing, or do you hope to do this professionally?
    Have you thought about capturing audio/is that factored into your budget?
    Are you looking to do some heavy editing/effects/colour grading work on the footage?
    Is there a particular market you're aiming for? Sports? Fashion? Small businesses?
    Do you need any extra features like interchangable lenses, variable frame rate, tape or card recording (or both?)
    What will you be editing on?

Extra info will help people narrow it down for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Hi Folks. Thanks for the advice and info. The idea would be to shoot short promo videos for small businesses. These would be posted on Youtube. I would need to capture good quality audio as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

In terms of a budget I would be hoping to pick something up for maybe €1500 - €2000. Would this be possible?

You can get an excellent camera for that money.

Some other equipment you WILL need: Tripod, Shotgun microphone, Editing software, memory cards/tapes, the list goes on...

TBH, you sound like you don't know one end of a camera from another but want offer a professional service to other businesses.

Are you sure this is a wise venture for you?

Tripod will be a must, you can get cameras with a decent shotgun mic mounted.

Videoing for yuotube can be very straight forward. Peoples expectations for production quality are low. As long as you give them the information they want they'll be happy.

I think you'd get away with a fairly basic setup, camera, good microphone and tripod. You can avoid any kind of special effects bar explanatory text which is easy enough to apply.

I don't think there's any reason to go spending mad money, Irish businesses have a habit of buying pro grade equipment that's way beyond what they actually need.

If your going to be sitting in front of the camera showing off products get a camera that has good auto settings so no body has to learn how to film (which you may well need to do with higher end stuff),make it so anyone can easily sit in front of the camera and do what needs to be done quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 stuartjp

http://www.adverts.ie/video-cameras/sony-pd150-video-camera/1103885

The PD150 will certainly do the job, see the above ad for mine on sale right now. 3CCD for great colour reproduction, pro XLR inputs for excellent sound, and you'll have euro left over to spend on a good tripod and lav mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcCiidZVeE

That showreel was all shot on the PD150.

Give us a shout if you're interested!

Advertisement