Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkinstown

Options
  • 29-11-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Would really appreciate hearing about peoples experiences living in Walkinstown. I am aware that there are already a number of threads on Walkinstown but they seem to descend into arguments among folks with various positive and negative opinions of Walkinstown and the surrounding areas.

I am currently viewing houses in the area, I am married with two young kids. What I want is a reasonably quite, and more than reasonably safe area for myself and my family to live in.

So far I've seen some nice place in 'old Walkinstown'...Walkinstwon Road, the Drive, the Green...some people have told me this is a nice area, one mate told me there's often hassle around the big local Church involving youths....any views from people with experience of this area would be very much appreciated.

St James Road, Patricks road, St Gerards road...plan on viewing 2 houses in this area, any know what is like???

Any further info based on actual experience (as opposed to hearsay) would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I cant speak for the church area but i can speak for the Walkinstown Roundabout area. I live in the vicinity of the Roundabout and its a nice area, no problems. You get your usual small things but dont you get that everywhere nowadays?

Anthing specific you want to ask, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Well from my experience the Cromwellsfort and Peter's road areas are grand, not many problems, plus still quite a lot of elderly living in the area, esp on Peter's road, so quiet enough :) Lived there 16 years and we were only ever broken into once, and that was about 12 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Brenner77

Hey Tripp and Mandy

Many thanks for the info.

I viewed 2 houses on St James road today, both very nice. It looks like a really cool place to live. However I cycled in through some of the lanes behind the houses on St James Road (I had no idea there were so many lane ways in Walkinstown) and I saw quite a few borken bottles, a lot of Graffitti on walls and garage doors, and some burnt furniture. It made me pause a bit and wonder if these lanes are used by young people at night for hanging out. Ive no problem with young people in general-they really do get a bad rap these days-but I still wouldnt want kids and/or teenagers drinking behind my house at night time....but maybe I just got unlucky today because all the reports I get of that area are great.

I think we will be putting in a bid for one of the places we saw today.

Many thanks

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Brenner77

Any more views/info very welcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

I've lived about 100 yards from The Kestrel pub on Bunting Road for the past 3yrs or so and find it great. Very neighbourly. I always come back from work on bin day to find one of the neighbours has left my bin back in my garden for me! Never had any trouble in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

born and bred there, balfe road area. if I were moving back to dublin it would be Walkinstown in a heartbeat - don't tell herself ;). the location is perfect and it has everything a young family could need.

if you want to fire any specific questions, i'd be happy to oblige

never had a problem with crime (i wouldn't be concerned about graffiti) although some lanes may provide drinking spots for teens but they're like insects - more afraid of you than you are of them

sports clubs, schools, pubs, transport links, I could type for hours but I'm on a phone so I already have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Brenner77 wrote: »
    Hey Tripp and Mandy

Many thanks for the info.

I viewed 2 houses on St James road today, both very nice. It looks like a really cool place to live. However I cycled in through some of the lanes behind the houses on St James Road (I had no idea there were so many lane ways in Walkinstown) and I saw quite a few borken bottles, a lot of Graffitti on walls and garage doors, and some burnt furniture. It made me pause a bit and wonder if these lanes are used by young people at night for hanging out. Ive no problem with young people in general-they really do get a bad rap these days-but I still wouldnt want kids and/or teenagers drinking behind my house at night time....but maybe I just got unlucky today because all the reports I get of that area are great.

I think we will be putting in a bid for one of the places we saw today.

Many thanks

B.

Some old-school laneways around there alright, but they're not bad at all... Sure a few heads hang around in them, but at least it keeps them away from the main roads etc. I would wholly reccommend the area, full of good settled Dubliners who take pride in where they live. Take a look at Thomas Moore Road for example

Advertisement