Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB ports "blocked"

• 29-11-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all

Hope you can help. My mum’s laptop has suddenly stopped accepting any USB connections. The USB connector physically won’t go into either of the two ports. It’s like they’re blocked, it will go in so far but not fully.

She mainly uses it for a printer and when she told me it wouldn’t go in I assumed something was wrong with the cable itself and I brought out a new one – which wouldn’t go in either. Have also tried USB stick – nothing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭White Wolf Airsoft

I know this is a bit obvious but check inside the connector and the port there may be something blocking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lanners

Thanks - definitely nothing in there, I did check! Also the fact that it's both ports, i thought this might be relevant somehow...

Not the connector either as I tried 3 different ones.

Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

She could have forced something into the port causing the ports to bend backwards and just not told you about it.

People always think it's not their fault when it comes to these kinda things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You're not putting the cable in upside-down are you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Or maybe Mom did,now the connectors pins are bent !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tell her she did a good job.

Seriously though, that's kinda a problem.

Depending on howit's bent - whether the internal 'tongue' or the entire receptacle itself. If it's the receptacle, you can disassemble the laptop and 'go in' to unbend the port. If it's the tongue, well you're fairly ****ed, and she was fairly rough with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

lanners wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope you can help. My mum’s laptop has suddenly stopped accepting any USB connections. The USB connector physically won’t go into either of the two ports. It’s like they’re blocked, it will go in so far but not fully.

She mainly uses it for a printer and when she told me it wouldn’t go in I assumed something was wrong with the cable itself and I brought out a new one – which wouldn’t go in either. Have also tried USB stick – nothing.

Any ideas?

USB ports are fairly easy to replace on the motherboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

justryan wrote: »
    As in soldering iron easy?

:D No, although it's funny because I asked her all these questions on the phone before I went out (I was quite patronising about it actually!) but the damn thing definitely won't go in.

Looks like it must be bent then. But I don't really get how it's both, if she forced something into one of them or tried to put in the connector upside down, would that bend the other one as well?

When you say "easy"...I presume you mean for someone who knows about these things? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

:D No, although it's funny because I asked her all these questions on the phone before I went out (I was quite patronising about it actually!) but the damn thing definitely won't go in.

Looks like it must be bent then. But I don't really get how it's both, if she forced something into one of them or tried to put in the connector upside down, would that bend the other one as well?

When you say "easy"...I presume you mean for someone who knows about these things? :o

Of course for someone with experience repairing at the component-level is easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Most USB connectors are put onto the Motherboard as one unit.

USB3.jpg
    Its a Desktop Motherboard I know but it does explain what I'm talking about.

If one gets bent the connection to the other is affected also (Pressure on the top one pushes down the bottom one or vice-versa.)

Can also happen on laptops where there isnt great support for the motherboard itself. System gets a knock, MB drops and the ports move. Usually not noticed until someone trys a USB device or a flash card.

I think its a trip to the repair shop or someone icon4.gifREPUTABLEicon4.gif with PC repair experience I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Looks like it must be bent then. But I don't really get how it's both, if she forced something into one of them or tried to put in the connector upside down, would that bend the other one as

It.could happen if she thought that there was something wrong with the first port so she tried the second the same.way and did the same.damage.

Ravenid wrote: »
    Most USB connectors are put onto the Motherboard as one unit.

Can also happen on laptops where there isnt great support for the motherboard itself. System gets a knock, MB drops and the ports move. Usually not noticed until someone trys a USB device or a flash card.

I think its a trip to the repair shop or someone icon4.gifREPUTABLEicon4.gif with PC repair experience I'm afraid.

Thanks a mil.

I had a feeling that might be the case...any idea how much it might cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thanks a mil.

I had a feeling that might be the case...any idea how much it might cost?

It'll vary. Look around for a few quotes. All it'll take is a few minutes with a soldering iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Mind you

20111004.gif

Advertisement