Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how should i insulate my attic best

• 29-11-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

i have an old house and up stairs has timber ceilings and there is no felt under the roof slates, what would be the best way to insulate the attic is there a breathable roll of something i can put down on attic floor and then rolls of insulation on top, then how would i best do the roof is there insulation to spray on the back of the slates to make it good and air tight?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

trixyben wrote: »
    i have an old house and up stairs has timber ceilings and there is no felt under the roof slates,
    1. what would be the best way to insulate the attic is there a breathable roll of something i can put down on attic floor
    2. and then rolls of insulation on top,
    3. then how would i best do the roof is there insulation to spray on the back of the slates to make it good and air tight?

1. yes there is, but it would have to be specified, to suit your 'old house', but it may not be necessary, are talking about an air-tightness membrane to stop draughts?
    2. sheep or hemp wool would be best to allow an old house to continue to 'breathe' as it currently does
    3. please don't spray anything or be convinced by a salesman to spray anything on to the underside of the slates- you may rot the existing timbers. why not take some photos, explain abit more about what is you want and i'll try to give you some more relevant info.

what do mean by 'old house', if there is no felt under the roof timbers, this suggests to me, that it would be worth your while seeking professional independent advice, from someone that is used to dealing with old buildings, otherwise you run the risk of causing more damage than good;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s.e.d

i will second that reply we are curently instulating a old house that had no instulation its very inportant that it is done right or you will end up with a huge problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i have a similar problem.our roof is an old slated roof made of 4*2 s.its lime rendered behind the slates and the ceilings is maybe 2 ft up the rafters.there isnt enough room to get insulation down and im worried about having it touching the slate in these parts as will it lead to condensation.i am considering blown insulation but would like to know more before i talk to any "salesmen"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

keep going wrote: »
    i am considering blown insulation but would like to know more before i talk to any "salesmen"
    blown insulation products- look for their IAB/ BBA certs and read the fine print - many are designed with modern buildings in mind. I wouldn't be fan of using such a product in an old building..use natural materials that will allow the roof to breathe, wherever possible.

whatever you do, the roof timbers and rear of the slates must have air circulating behind them. I would suggest you look at all other options first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Looking to add some extra insulation to my attic also and was considering using to below on the underside of the rafters. Anyone used this before or have any thoughts?

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=10380&loc=P&catid=110.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Looking to add some extra insulation to my attic also and was considering using to below on the underside of the rafters. Anyone used this before or have any thoughts?

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=10380&loc=P&catid=110.0

Not suitable as it acts as a vapor barrier on the cold side of ur roof and may cause condensation

Advertisement