Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge / Freezer in shed

Options
  • 29-11-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Zanussi fridge / freezer in the shed. It works perfectly fine during the summer but come the cold winter it stops. I'm guessing its so cold in the shed that the motor never bothers to come on. Is there anything I (or someone qualified) can do to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

is it wooden shed or concret? be careful in winter having it in the shed as it can attract mice and rats as they nest in back of it for the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Patwicklow; its a steel shed. Now you have me freeking out over mice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

oh sorry lol wont be to bad if its steel but get some one to look at the back of it any way

ok thanks for the advice Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Zanussi fridge / freezer in the shed. It works perfectly fine during the summer but come the cold winter it stops. I'm guessing its so cold in the shed that the motor never bothers to come on. Is there anything I (or someone qualified) can do to fix it?

Cold weather shouldnt effect it, actually it should work better as it rejects heat from the condenser (radiator type grill ) to the colder air. I suspect that the thermostat might be satisfied and stopping the compressor running.... Or thermostat is faulty. Quick check would be to reduce the temperature or bypass the thermostat and check if compressor switches on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Goodne.
    What do you mean it stops?? Do you mean the compressor motor does not come on? This may be because it is not necessary for it to come on as the interior of the fridge is already cold enough.

Or do you mean that the interior does not get cold enough during the winter and it defrosts?

2011; it doesn't get cold enough & the freezer defrosts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2011; it doesn't get cold enough & the freezer defrosts
    OK.
    As suggested above, it could be an issue with the thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Remember seeing this thread and just saw this while looking to buy a fridge might be of interest to yas all!

"Single thermostat Fridge-freezers are not designed to be used in any unheated area such as a garage or an outhouse. If you do wish to store your fridge-freezer in these environments we recommend you purchase a model with twin thermostats"

You learn summit new everyday :D

TWIN Thermostats for Shed use ;)

Advertisement