Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What else do I need?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    So I placed a order with Hardwareversand early last week and am expecting it to arrive this week or early next week.
    These are my specs:

8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155
    BitFenix Merc Beta
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950, 1024MB GDDR5
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box (Can someone confirm this comes with a heatsink)
    LG GH24NS
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

I don't have a monitor and plan on using my TV as one for the mean time, do I need any specific wire to connect it to my TV? HDMI will that work? DVI/HDMI cable, if that exists.

I assume a normal 3 Pin Plug (like used with a PS3 or Kettle) would work?

Any other wires needed?
    Do I need any certain disc to burn W7 onto? What size would I need, I think its around 5GB but want to double check.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I presume you just did not listed those items, but you will need an hdd other then ssd, then optical drive.

Your gpu will have hdmi or mini hdmi connection. The beauty of this - it will transfer video and audio, so you won't need speakers for now of you are happy with TVs stock speakers.

If that is retail 2500k, then it should have heat sink.

Windows. Please explain more. Do you have a copy of windows or you planing "borrowing" it. If you buying windows it should come on DVD disc, though if you got it from that German website, then it will be German copy too. You will have to download and burn English copy of windows and use supplied cd-key.

I can't discuss here "borrowed" windows.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I presume you just did not listed those items, but you will need an hdd other then ssd, then optical drive.

Your gpu will have hdmi or mini hdmi connection. The beauty of this - it will transfer video and audio, so you won't need speakers for now of you are happy with TVs stock speakers.

Hope that helps.

I only have a SSD, is a normal HDD absolutely neccesary? I was told I should wait until the prices come back down, will I not be able to install the OS and a browser and a let's say, minecraft on the SSD until I get a HDD?

So does that mean a normal HDMI cable will work?

Sorry for being so, dumb :P

Your ssd is tiny. Those are more used only for permenant stuff which is used mostly for reading.
    Ssd drives are great, but they are not very long lasting. They have a limited time of write times. So the less flash memory is being used to write, the better it is and longer it will last.
    64gb will be just about enough for os and few program's. Get some small normal sata 2 or hybrid hdd for the rest of the stuff. Trust me, you will be done with 60gb very very fast.

I am not sure what connection on the arse of the card. Does it have full hdmi or mini hdmi.

I have an old computer thats maybe 6-7 years old would the Hard drive in that work?
    I would assume that its 160GB Max but it would still work temporarily.
    Buying a new one isn't an option now, don't have the money, still need to get a keyboard and mouse too and I expect that will cost 30euro at least.

This is the exact card I got:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43704&agid=1004

It will work fine. Format it. Delete everything on it and use ssd as boot and os drive.

That card looks like has proper hdmi connection. Get hdmi cable and you sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I wouldn't worry too much about the limited writes. They'll probably be very obsolete by the time they get worn.
    I have a 64GB and there's about 25GB free with windows and all the programs I need installed. For minecraft and a few small games, it's fine. But for a big games library, you'd certainly need the HDD.

You could just leave the SSD as it is and if you're going to be installing a few large programs or your space fills up quickly, you could get the HDD after a while. It might be no harm to have it for backing up your system drive too.

If the hard drive is an IDE drive, you'd need an adapter.

Thanks for the help guys, had me worried for a bit there when you said I needed a HDD but I can live with just a browser and Minecraft for a month or two :)

I saw a 500GB HDD on Adverts for 50euro, still pretty high considering but might look into it anyway.

So my computer arrived today, exactly a week from when I ordered it.
    Everything was set up fine, but there was lots of wires left over and something called a CROSS FIRE, not sure what it is.
    Also some weird Black, Red and Yellow cables with weird ends on them

Is there anyway for me to check if there is a heatsink on the CPU without opening it up?
    Other then that I'm happy, got lots of spare nuts and bolts and the case looks nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Crossfire is the multiGPU setup of ATI. So if you install a second ATI graphics card, the cable is used to connect both cards together.

Unless your case has a window or mesh, you'll need to take off the side panel to get a good view of the interior. Have a quick look and make sure all the cables are connected properly and you should be good to go.

If you're going to touch any component, make sure you ground yourself first or you could discharge static electricity and damage a component.

MakeNine wrote: »
    Unless your case has a window or mesh, you'll need to take off the side panel to get a good view of the interior. Have a quick look and make sure all the cables are connected properly and you should be good to go.

Decided to open it as I was curious, it has a heatsink so thats good.

However, there is a lot of SATA cables not connected to anything (other than the MotherBoard) I know these are for connecting other HDDs, but should I remove the unused ones until I get a new HDD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Yeah you might as well remove them and keep them until you get new rives. The less caables you have hanging around the better imo ;)

The builders are probably thinking to themselves, surely there's a hard drive to go in there too. Yeah, remove cables you don't need. Tidier and better airflow.

So I'm posting this from the new computer :)
    I couldn't remove the SATA cables, I attempted to but there was too many and I couldn't see where they were connected and I was afraid I'd damage something if I just tugged at it.

The heatsink is pretty loud, but the CPU is running at 28 degrees idle and I forgot to check what it was when it was when I was playing a game but it was probably fine.

Got 35GB of space left on the SSD with Windows 7 64Bit Installed, all the drivers for the motherboard and graphics card, Minecraft, a few very high resolution texture packs, and Google Chrome, so that should do me.

One last thing, the DVD drive goes crazy sometimes, when I was installing the drivers for the Motherboard the DVD drive started going really fast, got really loud too. So I waited about 15 seconds to see if it would stop but it didn't so I ejected it. Also happened when installing the GPU drivers.

PS. 12 Second boot time :D

It sounds like a success.
    The heatsink is always something that you can replace down the line anyway. There may be setting in the BIOS to automatically adjust it to quieten it down some bit or speedfan may be able to help (usually requires a fair amount of tweaking).

Advertisement