Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfing in Biarritz

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here has been surfing in Biarritz and what they thought of it? Or where would people recommend to go in Europe ?

Trying to organize a Christmas present so any advice would be great!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

At this time of year (up to end of February) Morocco is a good bet, Tagazout is the palace everybody goes. Also Lagos in Portugal is good, nice town and lots of breaks near by but you need a car.

Barritz is a nice town and you aren't far from other spots, Anglet, Hozzeger... but it's very shore brealkey and not much good for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭blueskys

Agree with spacehopper, lagos far better bet...get flight to faro, stay in sagres/lagos. better range of surf, more options, friendlier and cheaper as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Been a couple of years since I was last in Biarritz, then it was mid October and I still found it to be perfectly warm and only grabbing the 3mm for the evening as the sun was sinking lower and lower.

Beautiful town with a great vibe. Takes a bit of readjustment to get used to the sight of people walking through the main streets of a city in the wetties & a board under their arm.
    Even bigger readjustment needed when sitting in the line-up and you find yourself chatting to the most beautiful women in the world.

I found Ryanair grand the last time, very good value & they are still flying the route.
    Most spots are beach breaks alright but there are many within a short hop and of varying nature from super mellow (Generally South of) to peaky ass kickers (Generally North of).
    Autumn & Spring there are only a few travelling surfers & the locals knocking about.
    Summer it'll be busier but also more fickle.
    Heading back in April for couple of weeks of Surf & MTB races inland; can't Wait!!:D:D

If its an Xmas pressie but can be booked for afterwards than I can't recommend it enough.
    If its for within that Xmas time period(ish) than you'd be best advised to head further South.

Other options would be Lanzorite good mix of spots from crazy pro to beginner, Furtoventura (not really for beginners) and Spain, Zaruitz in the Basque country or Conil del la Fontra in April for the Andulica festival - the end of it is mad and great craic.

One thing to remeber, you can plan a holiday to somewhere there is good surf but not the surf - its not guranteed but it's great to getway somewhere warm for a while, having something else to do even chilling is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 treass

Thanks for all of the advice! It's much appreciated :)

The trip will probably be in spring/early summer so I think I'm gonna work out prices/accom/flights for Lagos, Biarritz and Lanzorite and maybe one more, and then let my boyfriend choose between two (it's his present). I've never surfed, but would like to try it so places that suit everyone might be best so I can paddle around in the shallow water while he looks for the bigger waves. Who knows, I even might catch the surfing bug!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Lovely place for a romantic surf trip, also handy if you don't have a car

treass wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the advice! It's much appreciated :)

The trip will probably be in spring/early summer so I think I'm gonna work out prices/accom/flights for Lagos, Biarritz and Lanzorite and maybe one more, and then let my boyfriend choose between two (it's his present). I've never surfed, but would like to try it so places that suit everyone might be best so I can paddle around in the shallow water while he looks for the bigger waves. Who knows, I even might catch the surfing bug!:cool:
    If you are looking for something to have, find out what guide books he has, footprints guide to surfing in europe or stormriders guide to europe would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

You should check out Ericeira for a surf holiday. Bit quiet maybe in spring but from June on its perfect. Its a beautiful town, really authentic, very romantic :). Its only 30-40 mins drive from Lisbon which is great for a day trip. also the surf beaches are all in Ericeira whereas with Lagos they are a bit of a drive away from the town. Town is very inexpensive

Biarritz is also great but very expensive once you get there

Advertisement