Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumping Lights

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

what is with the drivers up here. day in and day out i see drivers chancing there arms at major junctions breaking red lights,whether im in a car or just walking across the road i always see it. i remember many the taxi would speed up and break lights.today i was crossing the junction near topaz in newcastle(little green man had lit up) and driving from the bridge a lady in an family wagan continued increasing speed breaking the red light and drove right by as i was in the road.have there been much accidents or even more to the point to gardi ever moniter who breaks red lights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Don't you hate pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

do i hate pants??hmmm...no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

skinny90 wrote: »
    more to the point to gardi ever moniter who breaks red lights

I've seen people being pulled by the Gardai for breaking lights on that particular junction fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I got clipped by a taxi crossing at the lights in Eyre Sq a few weeks ago. There was a Garda car about three cars behind but I dont think they spotted it. I rang the station to report it but they said they were busy and they had no cars around :-S
    I told them one of their cars was heading up Bohermore behind the offending taxi but they still wouldnt do anything about it 'but he didnt actually knock you down did he?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

elefant wrote: »
    I've seen people being pulled by the Gardai for breaking lights on that particular junction fairly often.

Breaking the lights is routine at that junction, in my experience.

I've seen it often, but never any instance of it being detected by AGS. If you're right then that is good to hear.

I got clipped by a taxi crossing at the lights in Eyre Sq a few weeks ago. There was a Garda car about three cars behind but I dont think they spotted it. I rang the station to report it but they said they were busy and they had no cars around :-S

I told them one of their cars was heading up Bohermore behind the offending taxi but they still wouldnt do anything about it 'but he didnt actually knock you down did he?'.

Is that an actual quote? If so then it's laziness and gobsh:tery of a high order, IMO. I suggest you report it to Supt. Marie Skehill in Mill Street or bring it to the attention of the Joint Policing Committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Couldnt swear to the exact wording but very close. My reply was that I bounced off the side of the car. I reckon he thought I was some drunk student acting the eejit as it was that time of the night.
    I was more annoyed about the fact that he couldnt just have put it out to the car that was just down the road.
    I wasnt hurt or anything just annoyed about the greedy fecker running the lights. If I had jaywalked in front of the taxi Im sure the driver would have been shouting out the window at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Breaking red lights is a big no-no alright, but pedestrians have to be more aware too. Pedestrians seem to come under the influence of some trance between Eglinton Street and the top of Eyre Square. And for God sake, the corner at Brown Thomas is no place to cross a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

skinny90 wrote: »
    what is with the drivers up here. day in and day out i see drivers chancing there arms at major junctions breaking red lights,whether im in a car or just walking across the road i always see it. i remember many the taxi would speed up and break lights.today i was crossing the junction near topaz in newcastle(little green man had lit up) and driving from the bridge a lady in an family wagan continued increasing speed breaking the red light and drove right by as i was in the road.have there been much accidents or even more to the point to gardi ever moniter who breaks red lights

Did you get her number plate? I reported a lady driver before for such an instance and a couple of week later she was charged for dangerous driving after the gardai checked the video footage nearby the junction it occured.

I was halfway across the road with my 3 kids and she just flew by with not a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Are cameras attached to the lights to automatically catch red light jumpers legal in Ireland?

Obviously they are used in other countries and I suspect at somewhere like topaz newcastle they would pay for themselves.

And once they are in place it should allow the timing between lights to be shortened aswell. It seems to me the lights now have extra delays between red on side and green on the other, to assume that 2/3 cars will continue through the amber, like at the huntsman.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Breaking red lights is a big no-no alright, but pedestrians have to be more aware too. Pedestrians seem to come under the influence of some trance between Eglinton Street and the top of Eyre Square. And for God sake, the corner at Brown Thomas is no place to cross a road.
    Youl expect that in around the town where the streets are narrow,from sligo nd der divils for just leaping across a narrow street but not on a road with four lanes to cross!!!

fago wrote: »
    Are cameras attached to the lights to automatically catch red light jumpers legal in Ireland?

Obviously they are used in other countries and I suspect at somewhere like topaz newcastle they would pay for themselves.
    regarding the cameras i 100% agree,they have them in sligo on the inner relief road at all traffic lights

• Advertisement

Did you get her number plate? I reported a lady driver before for such an instance and a couple of week later she was charged for dangerous driving after the gardai checked the video footage nearby the junction it occured.

I was halfway across the road with my 3 kids and she just flew by with not a care in the world.
    nope just fuked her outta it as she passed with my arms going ninety,didnt even think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I was just about to start a very similar thread. I've really noticed an increase in people jumping red lights at junctions all over the city. The lights go red and you'll often see a few cars still going through. I've really only noticed the increase in the last month or so. Maybe it's because people are so annoyed at being held up in traffic because of all the road works or something. It's ridiculous though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Would agree there is a serious amount of red light jumping at the Topaz junction, its nearly something I expect to happen which is a bad sign.
    On a number of occasions in last 6 months , average one or two weekly , I have had a green light to go through to or from Dangan direction only for cars to come speeding across the bridge on a clear red light -it is seriously dangerous driving and needs enforcement to prevent it in future, whether through cameras or traffic corps at this stage .. that issue and cars pulling out in front of you from other directions at roundabouts when there is no way they should makes driving pretty hazardous sometimes in the city !

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

brutes1 wrote: »
    Would agree there is a serious amount of red light jumping at the Topaz junction, its nearly something I expect to happen which is a bad sign.
    On a number of occasions in last 6 months , average one or two weekly , I have had a green light to go through to or from Dangan direction only for cars to come speeding across the bridge on a clear red light -it is seriously dangerous driving and needs enforcement to prevent it in future, whether through cameras or traffic corps at this stage .. that issue and cars pulling out in front of you from other directions at roundabouts when there is no way they should makes driving pretty hazardous sometimes in the city !
    In the past week or so I've noticed people being more careless on roundabouts i.e. pulling out across traffic already on the roundabout. Didn't really have any issues before that ... seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

see above (if i did it right)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Based upon what you've stated, you are the victim of a hit & run.
    The refusal of the Garda to investigate/act upon your complaint is gross (perhaps criminal?) negligence at best and aiding & abetting at worst.
    Jumping red lights is very serious and extremely dangerous.
    If i were you, i'd complain to one of your public representatives on the City Council as its a matter of public safety.
    Who knows, maybe your complaint could save somebody's life.
    As for making a complaint to a Senior Garda Officer, i wouldn't bother.
    You reported the incident already and where did that get you?

its like getting overcharged by a taxi....You mean to take revenge by going to the taxi regulator but there's soo much feckn hassle about getting it sorted and reported that you'dd rather get on with your life. if you complain to a senior garda how long will it take to get sorted.im sure there will be lots of stages and precedures you just dont give a dam by then.even so will it be taken seriously??...i could be wrong but thats my opinion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement