Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Q&A!!

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

So, I thought it would be a good idea to have a Christmas Cake thread where those of us who needs help can come and ask questions!:)

My Christmas cake is in the oven now! The recipe says 150 degrees Celcius for 4 hours, but because my oven is fan, it's in at 130 degrees Celcius.

My question is:

How long before I can open the oven door and check to see how it's doing? I have 2 layers of parchment paper on the outside, and a layer on top to prevent it from burning so the cake itself is invisible! Also, does the cake rise at all? Even a tiny bit?

Thank you!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JellyBeans123

Hopefully someone can answer this asap as my cake is in the oven as I write this! It's been in for nearly 2 hours now-when is it safe to check it without it sinking? It's 10 inches squared!

Thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Jellybean, it not recommended you open the door for the first 3hours. Hope this is of help

arandale wrote: »
    Jellybean, it not recommended you open the door for the first 3hours. Hope this is of help

Thank you for your advice!:) I have had it in for 2 hours and 15 mins so far, so I will go with your advice and open on 3 hours, which is 1 hour before the said time but I'll just see if I need to put more parchment paper over the top etc.!

After the 3 hours are up give the tin a half turn, by this i mean put the side facing you to the back, i always use a large a4 size envelope or 2 for covering the tin, its harder to bake a cake in a square tin.

In future if you are uncertain bake in round tin. Accousla gave you good advice, the best of luck and let us know how you get on. When its baked let it cool and then pour spirits over it, be careful not to drown it, put your finger over the bottle when pouring it over.

I have made hundreds of all kinds of cakes and i learned through trial and error, don't be shy in asking here for help no matter how stupid you think your question is, like the doctor we have heard it before.:)

Oh God, i come accross as a know it all. Forgive me.

• Advertisement

After the 3 hours are up give the tin a half turn, by this i mean put the side facing you to the back, i always use a large a4 size envelope or 2 for covering the tin, its harder to bake a cake in a square tin.

In future if you are uncertain bake in round tin. Accousla gave you good advice, the best of luck and let us know how you get on. When its baked let it cool and then pour spirits over it, be careful not to drown it, put your finger over the bottle when pouring it over.

I have made hundreds of all kinds of cakes and i learned through trial and error, don't be shy in asking here for help no matter how stupid you think your question is, like the doctor we have heard it before.:)

Wow, you are SO nice!!:) Thank you for your help-I really appreciate it!:)

It's my first ever Christmas cake I'm making so I'm kind of getting a bit anxious about it! Do Christmas cakes rise, even a little bit?

Oh, and I only have one layer of parchment paper over the top with a little hole in the centre-will that be okay or should I add another layer? i have 2 layers of paper around the outside and they're very high so maybe that'll do?

Thank you!:):D:)

Oh God, i come accross as a know it all. Forgive me.

No, you are giving me great help!!:):):) I really appreciate having somebody who knows their stuff giving me advice!:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Some people don't put parchment on top until the cake starts to brown, but either is grand. Christmas cakes rise very little because there is seldom any raising agent in them.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Some people don't put parchment on top until the cake starts to brown, but either is grand. Christmas cakes rise very little because there is seldom any raising agent in them.

Thank you!:) I guess I'm also a bit worried that if I open the door the cake will sink? That won't happen will it?:(:eek:

This is great-it's like having 2 extra bakers here in the kitchen with me!!:D

Open the door gently and open it a small bit, peek in quickly and close the door gently again. The longer you leave it open and the harder you bang the door the more chance of a cake falling, Christmas cakes fall less because they rise less but they can still fall.

• Advertisement

Acoshla wrote: »
    Open the door gently and open it a small bit, peek in quickly and close the door gently again. The longer you leave it open and the harder you bang the door the more chance of a cake falling, Christmas cakes fall less because they rise less but they can still fall.

I checked the cake 25 minutes ago and took it out of the oven to take a proper look and I am very happy with it!:) I have put it back in for a final hour, so fingers crossed!

Thank you for your help:):):D:)

It's not a great idea to take a cake out to look at it, you were lucky that the cake was obviously pretty much done. That's a sure fire way to make a cake collapse.

Just an update!

I checked my cake after 4 hours and it was perfect-lovely and risen, a beautiful golden/darkish brown colour and the scent was just lovely!

Then, my sister said it wasn't done and told me to put it in for another 15 mins. I had already tested it with a skewer and thought it was perfect, but she insisted and my Mom backed her up so I put it back in for 15 mins. It came out, and she demanded that I put it in for an extra 10.

It came out fine, but very darkened and slightly hardened around one edge of the cake. I am furious at my sister, but also angry at myself for letting her interfere. I am re-making the cake this week.

I am very disappointed but will just learn to trust my own instincts anymore when it comes to baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just an update!

Then, my sister said it wasn't done and told me to put it in for another 15 mins. I had already tested it with a skewer and thought it was perfect, but she insisted and my Mom backed her up so I put it back in for 15 mins. It came out, and she demanded that I put it in for an extra 10.

Unless my sister was Delia Smith she would have been told where to go! But then again my sis can't even boil an egg! :rolleyes:

If a cake was done and out of the oven for a period of time shoving it back in for another 20 minutes would do no good, if the inside hadn't cooked yet it would already have started to collapse, and if the cake was done it'll only burn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

Okay, this is the truth:
    The cake was in for four hours, she took it out and it was pale brown. She tested it with a large knife breaking poen the cake in the process (I know :rolleyes:). I gave her one of my skewers which I then checked the cake with. The skewer came out brown wet. I told her to put it in for 10 - 15 minutes because it clearly wasn't done. She put it in and took it out. Skewer was still slightly wet, put it in for ten more minutes-perfect. She then turned off the oven and left the cake in there for about 30 minutes (silly thing to do really). The cake was a perfect brown colour. The reason she's angry is not becuase it's burned (which it's not) but because the cake was hard. Now, I have seen and eaten a lot of Christmas cakes in my time and every one of them has been 'hard'. The problem here is that she expects it to be sponge cake soft!!!!! So, the person who clearly should do her research on fruit cakes is not me but my sister!

I'm afraid i have to agree with GAA if what she says is right.
    Always test the cake with a warm skewer, it needs to come out clean for it to be done.

There is no need Jellybean to bake another one, just pour the spirits over, take it out of the tin and leave it in the cake liner you baked it in and wrap in tin foil. No doubt you are covering it in marzipan with a coating of apricot or marmalade underneath. It will be delicious.

If you need help with the marzipan and icing come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Is it beyond consideration to start again? Since you two are sisters, it's really important that baking is an enjoyable experience either together or apart, there's a reason for the saying "too many cooks stirring the pot".

This has to be one of the most controversial christmas cakes in history :) In the spirit of the season and in the interest of "happy baking", maybe try a making a smaller cake each, or nominate one of you to make the cake and the other to decorate it. Online disputes like this could cause real-life arguments, which nobody likes.

Remember, mistakes are how everyone learns, its great to try again and get it just right. There's plenty of time. :)

Btw, here's a great last minute cake that is quite tasty and easy if you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@ The *123 sisters - Please keep your sibling squabbles out of the forum. To make this easy to understand I would suggest that you keep to your own threads.

@GAAFan - Start your own Christmas Cake thread if you wish & do not post in this one again. Happy baking! :)

@Jellybean - Good luck with saving your cake & if your sister starts her own thread as I suggested - please steer clear of it so it doesn't kick off in that one too.

tHB

Advertisement