Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molex External Power Supply

• 29-11-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get one of these on amazon.co.uk? I don't want to pay the delivery charge on that website cause I just ordered the x360usbpro bundle last night and I forgot to add the power supply.

I getting discs off amazon and need to buy something else for the super saver free delivery.

Or any other website which will be cheaper than modtraders, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cancel your order, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Cancel your order, no?
    Too late. The order was processed a few hours ago. It'll end up costing nearly €20 including postage for it. Seems a bit expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

clonadlad wrote: »
    Cancel your order, no?
    Too late. The order was processed a few hours ago. It'll end up costing nearly €20 including postage for it. Seems a bit expensive.

Why not just crack your PC open and use a molex connection? It's not ideal but it works

justryan wrote: »
    Why not just crack your PC open and use a molex connection? It's not ideal but it works
    Is this what you're talking about? My one only has an IDE connection so will I have to get an IDE to SATA cable?

EDIT: Would this be the cable I would have to get or a converter?

Is this what you're talking about? My one only has an IDE connection so will I have to get an IDE to SATA cable?

IDE is standard of transferring data, AFAIK you'll have some molex connections coming from your PSU, these are four pin connecters with white heads you really can't miss them.

• Advertisement

IDE is standard of transferring data, AFAIK you'll have some molex connections coming from your PSU, these are four pin connecters with white heads you really can't miss them.
    Right I think I get ya. So I'll probably have all the connections in the bundle for the power supply from the computer? Just saved me a few dollars thanks.

Right I think I get ya. So I'll probably have all the connections in the bundle for the power supply from the computer? Just saved me a few dollars thanks.

Your tripping yourself up you don't need SATA to power the CK3, thats what the molex connections are for, you should find a spare coming from your PSU or you can disconnect one from an unused DVD drive while flashing.

Your tripping yourself up you don't need SATA to power the CK3, thats what the molex connections are for, you should find a spare coming from your PSU or you can disconnect one from an unused DVD drive while flashing.
    Sorry for being a complete idiot but if I take the power supply from my old computer will that not act as a molex adapter or I have got totally the wrong idea?

Sorry for being a complete idiot but if I take the power supply from my old computer will that not act as a molex adapter or I have got totally the wrong idea?

Well yes you can do that but your still gonna have to connect the PSU to a wall socket, slight risk of electrocuting yourself too :(

Well yes you can do that but your still gonna have to connect the PSU to a wall socket, slight risk of electrocuting yourself too :(
    Slight?:pac: Is it not simple to take the psu out and plug into the socket?

So I probably wont need any extra cables then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Your making this awful hard for yourself taking apart an old PSU from a pc when all u have to do is what was told to you already. Just use a spare molex connection from your PC. And if you have none to spare just plug one out from a dvd drive and use it, while you flash the 360 drive and then plug it back in when you are finnished. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Molex_female_connector.jpg Thats what it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

if you have an old external hard drive it'll probably have a molex power supply.thats what I use most of the time.

An old PSU won't work because you need to jump some pins on the ATX connector (the one that goes to your motherboard from the PSU) in order to get the PSU out of standby mode and powering all the cables (including the molex ones).

Just do as suggested - unplug a molex connector from some other device like an external 3.5" hard drive enclosure, or your old IDE DVD drive or something. Failing that, pony up for one of those in the original post :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

or you could just use the xbox itself to power the drive

Which is awkward as hell, and not live safe...

i've never found it awkward, and as far as being live safe got any proof that anyone has ever been banned powering a dvd without the sata connected because i've never seen any

i've never found it awkward, and as far as being live safe got any proof that anyone has ever been banned powering a dvd without the sata connected because i've never seen any

Pretty sure I've been over this ground with somebody else: secdata.bin changes when you power a console on without a DVD drive. It's all the proof you need because that bin file exists for one reason, as a smoking gun for Microsoft.

no one has ever been banned for it though, plenty of things could trigger that too, loose wire, bad cable, dead drive

i've done it many a time and no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

no one has ever been banned for it though, plenty of things could trigger that too, loose wire, bad cable, dead drive

i've done it many a time and no probs

If secdata.bin changes, then its enough to raise a flag.

but no one has ever been banned for it thats my point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i have a bench psu i use to test components with an old pc psu. give me a while and i can explain exactly what to do.

but no one has ever been banned for it thats my point

Of course not because your DVD drive could legitimately die, but when secdata changes it's a "o_O, let's look a bit closer at this one..." moment, which is why it's not live safe. You're pretty much telling Microsoft there's something funny going on and to give your console the run of tests they have for figuring if you've got dodgy firmware - why run that risk?

Of course not because your DVD drive could legitimately die, but when secdata changes it's a "o_O, let's look a bit closer at this one..." moment, which is why it's not live safe. You're pretty much telling Microsoft there's something funny going on and to give your console the run of tests they have for figuring if you've got dodgy firmware - why run that risk?

Exactly, a flag is raised & your console is likely scrutinized. Why run the risk for the sake of a molex connector?

weeder wrote: »
    i have a bench psu i use to test components with an old pc psu. give me a while and i can explain exactly what to do.

The green wire & black wire get crossed to make the psu turn on if memory serves correct. I built a jamma test rig some years ago & had a push switch to power it on, like a pc power switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

lads the maximus xtractor3 is the job.
    You can power the drives with a usb cable :D
    Quick, tidy and easy.

The only drive it dosent work with is a hitatchi 79 because they need more power to play the 79 unlock disc.
    But I have a butchered xbox motherboard that I use to power those.
    But I dont get them that often anyway

Lads I still dont get this. I'm only starting so dont have a clue. I thought the molex power adapter was to power the xbox dvd drive while it was out of the box. So what do I need to take from the pc to get this to work?

Lads I still dont get this. I'm only starting so dont have a clue. I thought the molex power adapter was to power the xbox dvd drive while it was out of the box. So what do I need to take from the pc to get this to work?

facepalm.jpg?1282626490

facepalm.jpg?1282626490
    I knew I would get that after a while, thanks.:( After opening up the PC and I finally get it. I got the x36usbpro this morning so expect many more stupid threads like this! Thanks for the help!

I knew I would get that after a while, thanks.:( After opening up the PC and I finally get it. I got the x36usbpro this morning so expect many more stupid threads like this! Thanks for the help!

Don't be afraid to ask whatever you like, TouchingVirus has a mental breakdown every time I do a jtag sure :D

• Advertisement

I have another problem. I've taken the power supply from my old computer and it doesn't seem to power the CK3i. I've tried every molex connection from the power supply and still no luck. Anyone know what the problem is?

Advertisement