Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for newbie ...

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all ,
    With the state of the nation at the minute i am finding myself
    sitting at home more days than ever .... Now with only picking bits and bobs of work i would like to get a hobby .. Not fished for years and years
    was mainly trout fishing in local rivers as a young lad.. So seems it looks like the best thing for myself and the wife is for me to find a hobby away from the house ....
    Been reading and seen that the biggest sea bass was reeled in not five miles away from me , but as i never did any sea fishing before i would jusy like some advice from some of ye guys here ...
    also with x-mas around the corner and my supple of socks and boxers still ok since last year i just might swing few presents off the family in terms of
    eqipment and tackle .. so what should i be looking for in terms of rods reels tackle bait etc ...
    all advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Bass fishing is hard - very hard. Reckon you should pick up a light (and cheap) spinning outfit and try for the trout again (sounds like you could also pickup sea trout in the summer?). Any stocked trout lakes near you?, whilst being completely artificial these are great for whetting a fishing appetite for old, young, new and lapsed anglers...

If you get the angling bug back - think about the bass again.

Don't want to put you off but to go through the expense of getting tackled up for bass fishing and then putting the (huge) effort in to actually learn about and then catching one, just to find it’s not for you would a waste imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Personally I wouldn't get a spinning rod, get yourself a fly rod setup, and hit a few of the local stocked lakes....

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Personally I wouldn't get a spinning rod, get yourself a fly rod setup, and hit a few of the local stocked lakes....

Could get expensive paying to fish the stocks, i say go with a spin rod. With a spin rod you could target both fresh/sea.
    Bass, pollock, macs off the the rocks/beach and pike, perch and trout in the loughs and rivers.

Shakespeare 9ft ugly stik lite and a half decent spin reel loaded with braid, wont cost any more than e100 and is the best all round spin rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd say go with the fly gear as well, on the premise that you prob wont get to use them til March/April. Happily enough tho (going by your username) there are plenty of places to use your new fly gear - free of charge - around Clare.

You can rekindle old memories of trout fishing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

Thanks all , in tackle shop today having a look...
    Looking forward to gettting the gear and getting out there , prob just ease myself and stick to the local rivers first ..
    These forums are very helpfull so going to keep reading and learning
    thanks for the advice all ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

surf bass rod 2-4oz, or 3lbtc pike rod, you can use either for bass bait/lure, if you can use a multiplier a 6000 abu is ideal, left hand wind if your righthanded

Advertisement