Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: windows desktop cannot load webpages

• 29-11-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

I have a UPC 50mb connection with the Thompson router connected via Ethernet to my windows desktop.

Although, it acknowledges it has an connection in the bottom right of the taskbar (the two computers with a globe icon), it won't load any webpages (says the connection was reset).

IPv4 connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 connectivity: local
    Media State: Enabled
    Duration: 00:15:39
    Speed: 100mbps

When I diagnosed the connection with Windows I got an "cannot communicate with DSN sever (89.101.160.5)" error.

On my iPad wirelessly, normal webpages like boards, google and Facebook load no bothers but streaming apps like TuneIn and Sky Go cannot find the Internet connection.

Tried rebooting the modem many times without luck. Any ideas? :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Brian017 wrote: »
    I have a UPC 50mb connection with the Thompson router connected via Ethernet to my windows desktop.

Although, it acknowledges it has an connection in the bottom right of the taskbar (the two computers with a globe icon), it won't load any webpages (says the connection was reset).

IPv4 connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 connectivity: local
    Media State: Enabled
    Duration: 00:15:39
    Speed: 100mbps

When I diagnosed the connection with Windows I got an "cannot communicate with DSN sever (89.101.160.5)" error.

On my iPad wirelessly, normal webpages like boards, google and Facebook load no bothers but streaming apps like TuneIn and Sky Go cannot find the Internet connection.

Tried rebooting the modem many times without luck. Any ideas? :-)

Have you tried changing DNS servers on your pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It's set to obtain the DSN servers automatically at the moment. What DNS server should I enter? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not that technically minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Use Googles DNS servers.
    Preferred: 8.8.8.8
    Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Advertisement