Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy Laptop Battery

• 29-11-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so maybe it's not crazy, but i've never seen or heard of this before.

It's my mates Dell Inspiron 1501. Battery is completely dead, and laptop won't turn on. I suspect it's the PSU connector on the back of the laptop (very similar problems with my XPS). However, when i plug the PSU into the wall, all is grand, green light comes on on the adapter. But when i then connect it to the laptop the light goes off and i have to unplug to get power going through to it again. :confused:

A PSU from the exact same laptop was tried and the same thing happens. The battery from that laptop was tried and same results. I'm fairly positive that it's the connector (going to open it up when i'm home from work and hope that it's seperate to the motherboard).

Anyone experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Short on the motherboard / ac jack. The AC Adapter is detecting this and shutting itself of to protect itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thats a smart PSU! :D

I was right so, coolio, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The Inspiron 1501 was a computer just thrown together. I retired mine just a couple of months back. The battery in mine went kaput (barely holding a charge) after a year. I couldn't understand why, as I nearly always ran off the mains. There was that many bios updates on it to fix the boot up sequence and various pre loaded device drivers went wrong when you installed new devices.

In fairness to it, it was cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well after taking it apart i can tell it was cheaply made... But, i did not buy it, so i care not.

Advertisement