Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an insurance company to insure a 120 year old house - recommendations/

• 29-11-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    Just been looking to renew my house insurance (building and contents).
    My house is a 2 bed terrace, and was built circa 1890.
    Alot of the brokers won't insure it due to age. Which seems suprising given the number of period properties in Dublin...
    Can anyone recommend me a good company to try?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

You could try your bank. They might insurance a house that old or why not try the AA. I have seen on othe forums that they insure old houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

I live in a old house and have insurance whit FBD

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

What is the rebuild value on the home, if you don't want to publicly announce it pm me. I may have a suggestion for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

AFAIK one of RSA/Zurich/Aviva cover houses going back to 1890 through the AA, might be worth giving them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ODUBHLAOICH

I would not recommend going with FBD no matter how good their quote might be. We had our house insured with them for the last twenty years without a claim. Then our pipes froze and burst last Winter. They are refusing to pay out and gave us the run around for ten months. Its still not sorted and they won't reply to the assessor that is dealing with them. In our experience they have been a terrible company and the whole situation has been a stressful nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I would not recommend going with FBD no matter how good their quote might be. We had our house insured with them for the last twenty years without a claim. Then our pipes froze and burst last Winter. They are refusing to pay out and gave us the run around for ten months. Its still not sorted and they won't reply to the assessor that is dealing with them. In our experience they have been a terrible company and the whole situation has been a stressful nightmare.

I used to work for FBD and the claims experience of virtually everyone that had to make a claim through them and that I spoke with couldnt say a bad word about them.Im sorry to hear you had a bad experience but its clearly not as simple as you are making it out to be.

Anyway,OP,alot of insurers have stipulations about older properties.

Generally if a property is over 100 years old it has to have been re-roofed,re-plumbed and re-wired over the last 25 to 30 years which is why you could be running into trouble.

With older terraced properties in the Dublin area alot of insurers got burned with claims over the last few years which is why you are not finding it too easy.

Despite what the poster says above,FBD should be able to quote for you provided the property has been re-wired and re-plumbed over the last 25/30 year.They generally are ok with the roof aspect once you confirm over the phone that its in perfect nick or has been inspected over the last few years by a certified contractor.

Advertisement