Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental accommodation in awful condition - any regulations?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 9:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My cousin and a few friends are renting in North Dublin and looking at houses at the moment.
    She said they went to see a terraced house a few days ago and it is not only overpriced, but rotten. There's no insulation at all, mould growing in the wardrobes and on the walls, and the place is riddled with damp and it has 'mushroom' things growing in the bathroom and kitchen presses?! :confused:
    She asked me is there anyone she could report the state of the place to (they obviously didn't take it!) but I don't think there's any regulation for rental properties, but I thought I'd ask some boardsies for clarification! :o

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The local council will have an environmental health officer- this would I imagine be a good first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If people ignore that place, and it lies vacant for a few years, maybe the LL will fix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The only thing is that the OP mentioned that it is terraced, and the problems could spread to neighboring properties.

Advertisement