Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Kitten

• 29-11-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I came home today to find my Dad had saved a kitten from my two dogs in the garden, he wanted to just release it but it already felt freezing out and I didn't have the heart to let it go not knowing what would become of it. So he/she is currently living in my dogs crate by the stove for the evening and then I'll be bringing him to the vets tomorrow to get checked. But I'm a dog person who has no experience with cats so if anyone can give me advice on how to litter train it how often a kitten should eat etc it would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

First, don't give it cow's milk. Cow's milk is actually disagreeable to most cats (who are lactose intolerant) and will give it the runs. If there's a saucer of milk in that crate, take it out now!

For tonight, give it a bowl of clean water, and if you have any raw meat in the house e.g. a heaped tablespoon of beef mince, a couple of pieces off the end of a chop, a couple of slices of chicken breast - give it that. Yes, raw. Yes, even the chicken. Don't give it human food, no cooked sliced ham or anything, no dry dogfood, if you have a tin of wet dogfood you can try a bit of that which'll do in a pinch so it's not hungry tonight.

You don't have to litter train kittens - they have an extremely strong instinct to dig, pee and poo in the dug place, and then cover up what they've just done. They also have a strong instinct to return to the same place to do their business. All you really need to do is provide the cat with a nice diggable litter in a litter tray. Pick up the kitten and place it in the tray - you can start to dig in the tray with your fingers (eh, before use of tray of course) and show the kitten but they'll take to it very quickly.

Once it's vet checked, if you're going to keep it come back and post and we can give you the run down on kitten care and maintenance. :) The vet will probably give you a good bit of info tomorrow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Would you have an idea how old it is? A few weeks,weaning age or a few months? Well done on taking him in.

Cats pretty much know how to use a litter tray automatically,its amazing.Place him in it a few times and use his paws with a digging motion,he'll get it fairly soon.A centimetre of cat litter in the tray is fine to start off.

Dont give him cows milk (not good for their digestive systems).Feed small amts of kitten food every 3hrs or so if hes very small. 2-3 teaspoons of kitten food at a time is fine. Leave water out also. Place a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in the crate to keep him snuggly tonight.

Once you've got him vet checked you'll need to consider worming/vaccinating etc. Are you planning on keeping him?

^^oops The Sweeper pretty much said it all. Got in there before me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

PB290094.jpg

This is Harry/Harriet Houdini, I have no idea how old he/she is so I thought a picture would be more helpful. While I know very little about cats but I did know about the milk, so I've only provided some water. I don't think I will be able to keep the little fella because my dog isn't getting along with it so far, and tomorrow I'm going to call to some of the houses on my road to make sure it doesn't belong to anyone, it smells really bad so I doubt it (hence the gloves!) I'll see how things go anyway, my dog is only a pup himself so i'll try to have them get along. He's been here since 6 o'clock and hasn't gone to the toilet yet but I've been bringing it in and leaving it on to the litter but no movement yet

Urm best guess I'd put him around 14 weeks of age. He's too big for 8 weeks, too small for 20... Why does he smell so bad? Is it a smell as though he has urine/faeces on his coat, or what?

I ask because sometimes if cats get a bang from a car they'll literally crap themselves - the fright from trauma can make them lose their bowel or bladder. This then goes on - if he got that much of a fright, he might have an injury he's hiding.

Please gently squeeze his front paws so his claws extend - be gentle, but you'll soon see how to squeeze. See if the claws are scuffed or broken or have anything under them. If they have blood or fur in them he may have been in a fight, if they're scuffed or broken he may have suffered blunt trauma - a kick, a belt with an object, a strike from a car. When a cat gets sent flying by something they reflexively put their claws out to save themselves and if the belt was hard enough, the claws can scuff and break on the tarmac or concrete, or get earth compacted under them if on grass.

Where I'm going with this is if you see evidence like that you need to see if you can get him to a vet because they are STERLING at hiding their injuries and he could go downhill very quickly overnight.

If you can handle him as easily as in the pic, chances are he is someone's kitten. If he hadn't been handled, you wouldn't be able to hold him like that.

Re the not peeing and pooing, that could be the result of an injury or it could be that he just doesn't need to go. If he relaxes, purrs, washes himself and stretches out, he's probably absolutely fine. If he sits hunched up with his fur fluffed up and growls when moved or lifted, he may be in pain or have a temperature.

If he appears fine and smells bad, you can try washing him with a warm facecloth. Get a bucket of warm water and a clean facecloth. Wet the facecloth and then wring it out reasonably well. You can use the cloth to get him quite wet without trying to put him near running water or standing water (both of which may result in injury to you!) Use your whole hand under the flannel and massage him all over with it, up behind the ears, across the shoulders, down the backs of the legs. Yes, wipe his bum too (last!) If you're washing his face, be more delicate and use two fingers under the cloth instead of your whole hand.

Last thing, to check if he's dehydrated, gently pinch the skin on his scruff and then release it and watch how quickly it moves back into place. It should pretty much return to its normal position immediately. If it relaxes back into place slowly, the kitten is dehydrated. To fix this you can use a syringe barrel or an eye dropper to slowly get water into the corner of the kitten's mouth to get it to drink - or failing those items, use a teaspoon. A few mls at a time, then leave it a half an hour and try a few mls more.

• Advertisement

It seems like bad garlic, very strong bad garlic. It is fine as far as I can see in the way of any injury if loves to be rubbed and has been "making biscuits" on the blanket and was chasing string a bit. At first though it was hissing, spitting and giving out loads when we went near him but I fed him a little bit of food out of my hand and it warmed to us then but doesn't like sudden movement or if you put your hand near it does hiss but is soon rolling about for you to scratch its belly. So i'd agree someone most have been handling it but I don't know how he would have gotten into my garden my biggest fear is some mean kids/adult threw it in there knowing that our two big dogs are out in the day time. The kids from the school walking by like to annoy my dogs so I wouldn't put it past some bad egg doing something awful like that. But as I say I will call to my neighbors and see if anyone is missing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Once a cat gets a bit of TLC, they start grooming themselves constantly.
    Our third kitty was smelly when she first arrived on the doorstep but once she moved in, she cleaned herself quite a bit and there was no smell off her after a day or two.

Well I hope that will happen soon, I'm starting to think that she'll have me turned off garlic for life :rolleyes:. We took her to the vets today and she only needed a wormer and has a bit of gunk collecting in her eye but they said it'd only need to be wiped off every day. The vet put her between 6 and 7 weeks old.

Unfortunately though we won't be able to keep her as she hates the dog and he is equally underwhelmed by her presence. We made enquiries and nobody seems to own her in the area so we're looking for a good home. She's probably going to have to go to someone who already has cats because she's a bit fearful still but gains huge amounts of confidence each time we let her roam around the kitchen and play with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Well done you for taking care of the wee mite! Try phoning the local shelter to see if anyone looking for a kitten or post a pic on your Facebook profile with home wanted. In my experience it takes a cat and dog a few weeks to get used of each other but if they are both young they might end up being best of friends, eventually!

Well this is the thing I don't only have the one dog that lives inside I also have two outside dogs and they are who we had to rescue Houdini from so I think for her safety it's not possible that she stays with us.
    I will be putting up notices and I've got my family and neighbours asking if anyone would take her but my only concern is that I can't really afford to keep bringing her to the vets, it cost me €28 today just for a worm tablet and a quick check over so will anyone want to take her now before she's due for the vaccinations? Also she's hissing and spitting at us when we pick her up or stroke her at first but within seconds she's full of love and purring like crazy so will someone see past that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Ya, I wouldn't mind that, she will settle down once she has a comfortable home, just nervous I'm guessing with all shes been through and also the unfriendly doggy smell that she is picking up on. She would prob be best going to home with no kids or dogs though if she is of that disposition. Until you find her a home provide a few high places in your house so she can feel safe from your dog. The last time I introduced a new member to my cat family I put a chair on the kitchen table for a few days to act as a perch where kitty could look down but feel safe too as she couldn't be reached.

6-7 weeks old?!

How much does it weigh, any ideas? Can you stick in a bowl on a scales for a minute to get a weight?

I don't own one but she's light as a feather you can hold her in one hand no problem. I think she looks much bigger in the picture than in real life she's not even as big as my size six shoe so she's pretty small

6-7 weeks old?!
    Im amazed too...she looks twice the size and age in the pic you posted. Thats just above weaning age.

Shuffles, you're doing great for asking for advice so far.Ok,you're not a cat person..but you're doing brill. Hows she getting on with eating,drinking & litter tray etc?

If you tell us where you're based and post some good pics we can help you out with rehoming.

Just an update, Hairy Houdini has possibly found a home with a relative who has always had a cat but currently doesn't have one so i'll be happy to see her go to this person if it all works out. She's come out of her shell and made great progress she will happily sit on your lap for hours purring, all she wants is love. She took to the litter box straight away, no accidents so far (touch wood) She eats well and as far as we can tell is drinking fine too, she's definitely peeing anyway! My fiance has grown terribly attached to her now though and when I told him we might have a home for her he asked if he could have visitation rights!:D

386200_265424920173102_100001167882699_689322_668518698_n.jpg

Hello again, unfortunately the home we had for Houdini has fallen through. I have posted on the rehoming thread so I hope she will find her forever home soon enough. I will be sad to see her go now to be honest but a new home will be the best thing for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

What a cute picture! :)

Well done Shuffles88 for all you and your family have done for her. I hope you find a good home for her soon.

Advertisement