Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do round bales go off/sour?

• 29-11-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi lads/ladies.

1, Do round bales go off at a certain time after they are open, I have 3 400kg bullocks and was wondering if i open the round bale, will it go dead before they eat it all, thats if it can go dead. . wilt/sour like.

2, if you puncher a bale to transport it with a spike say.. . how long can i leave it sitting before it cant be used for feed?

These bales were baled second cut, sept 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Are the cattle being fed meal as well? if they weren't getting much meal i would say you would be ok. When you open the bale, don't break it up, just leave it sitting in front of them. That way only the outside layer has potential to go off. It would probably take them 5 or 6 days to eat the bale which probably would result in some of it going off a small bit but if they are your only livestock to be fed with the silage then you probably don't have a choice but to give them the full bale. As well maybe if you just removed the plastic that the cattle can reach. this would help the rest of the bale stay fresh. as regards puncturing the bale, you'd probably be ok for ten days anyway. but i wouldn't really be pushing it. you could also maybe place a small piece if silage tape over the hole. It wouldn't be perfect but it would definitely help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bailer Bob

If Bales are very dry they will go stale,
    puncher wont matter for couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

the puncture in the bales at this time of the year is ok and can hold for a while once the weather doesnt get too mild.
    if your feeding the cattle in front of a barrier then just unwarp the bale and let them eat what they want, you can push it in after a few days. like the lads say dont shake it out they'll pull off what they need.

Advertisement