Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a aus working holiday visa with a "spent" conviction

Options
  • 29-11-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey, guys

first off im not a major criminal just a few childish mistakes at the age of 14/15. im now 18 and wanting to travel and work while i travel now my question is whats the chances of me getting denied my working holiday visa i dont want to shell out 280gbp and get denied

now to why i got my spent conviction i got 3 minor arrest's the first was for criminal damage for chucking a stone at a garden fence the second was for theft by find i found someone's bag and went through it then being caught by security guards looking throught it they asked who's was it i said i dont know i found it, so obviously they had to call the police which is understandable, the third a little more serouse but still minor was shoplifting a bottle of 20 pound after-shave which was stupid and as a teenager people make stupid mistakes, i then had to go to court i recieved a spent conviction and 6 months probation which is where i have to see a youth worker every 2 weeks for 6 months and a 30 pound fine

which since then i have changed i have done 100's of hours of volentry work involving working with children in care as a young leader helping in the running of summer camps, also working with youth offender's as i once was and as i was helped throught it i have gone back to volenteer with the youth service as a young leader in something called the lodgehill challenge where im there to talk and support the young offenders also the final thing is i volenteered with a charity called raleigh international for 7 weeks in india.

i just want to know as it's a massive dream to travel and australia is where i want to travel.

so it comes down to this with these minor offences at a young age. what are the chance of me getting a working holiday visa to australia and am i likely to be denied.

just post your thought's please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

I'd say you could be grand. I know a guy who spent a week in jail and got in to oz on a WHV no bother. Dont think the background checks for the WHV are too rigorous. Don't take my word for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Just tell the truth on the application and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

First there are no spent convictions in Ireland yet.

Second just apply and tell the truth, its not ''a substantial criminal record'' you should be approved in a few days.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/79character.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

these are the questions you will be asked to answer, it took mine a month to come through.
    I had driving offences about 8 years ago. Put a good story forward and you should be fine.

1. 1.T he offence for which you were convicted and the date of the conviction.

2. Whether a fine was imposed by a court for the offence and for what
    monetary amount.

3. Whether a period of detention or periodic detention was imposed for
    the offence and for what period of time.

4. Whether a sentence was imposed by a court for the offence and for
    what period of time ("sentence" includes any form of determination of the punishment for an offence).

5. Whether a suspended sentence was imposed by a court for the offence
    (for example, required to undertake community service).

6. A personal account of the events leading up to and including the
    offence.

7. Any additional information that relates to the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

since your convictions were while you were a minor are they not expunged off the record in Ireland anyway when u turn 18??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

since your convictions were while you were a minor are they not expunged off the record in Ireland anyway when u turn 18??

a quick phonecall to your solicitor would help clarify this, or maybe try ringing the court where you were convicted to see what type of record you have, as sometimes your record is not charged with the criminal offence in lieu of community service/probation act and such, that the court often uses in juvenile cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

beartooth wrote: »
    First there are no spent convictions in Ireland yet.

Well the OP isn't in Ireland is he.
    If he says its a spent conviction then we should believe him.

A spent conviction may not need to be declared, enquire about your record and it should be clearer.

Considering this is boards.ie it was fairly reasonable to assume he was in ireland.

I read somewhere that no convictions are spent when it comes to immigration you've got to declare them.

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Spent_Convictions/14

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

beartooth wrote: »
    Considering this is boards.ie it was fairly reasonable to assume he was in ireland.
    The OP clearly mentioned GBP, so not really a reasonable assumption at all.
    I would imagine he is in the north where they had spent convictions as part of the UK.

Stop your finger wagging Mellor.

I was trying to be helpful you just picked holes in my comments which were still completely valid and useful to any Irish posters and the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Point 1- it is nearly impossible that the government will find out you have a record if you say you dont- know of loads of people here from various countries who served significant time at home.

HOWEVER

If you lie, say you dont have a record and get in, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you can get residency/ sponsorship, they will likely require a police check from home. If the check says you have convictions, and you have claimed on your initial entry visa you had a clean record, it calls your honesty into question if they bother cross referencing it. If it is very minor offences it probably might be better to fess up. Hard to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

It is important to tell the truth on all visa applications and immigration entry cards and there really should be no other advice being given on this matter.

I do not believe the OP will be refused the working holiday visa but do tell the truth.

Liz

Advertisement