Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mb fiberglass supplies

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have never used them, I like to stay with "west system" and find the pump kits very handy, If it's not a big job you might save on posting getting it here.

http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/epoxy-repair-kits/

And for cloth I go here
    http://www.shorebreaksurfboards.com/

And sometimes here they are in Warrenpoint so post is not too bad.

http://www.fibreglassdirect.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

do you buy the west system epoxy and buy the mat seperate? i want to fiberglass a few ribs into the side of my boat for strenght its a restoration job ive pulled all the old ones out so its basically like its came straight out off a mold very flimsy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't use the mat just the cloth as it leaves a smooth invisible finish on the wood as if it was varnished. If you are just glassing in stringers and ribs on a fiberglass boat you will be fine with the mat.

yea its going to be for fishing it was originally a potting boat heres what i want to glass in

Have a look at dnme's sticky at the top of the page lots of info on glassing in timbers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I use these companies and they are very good.

In Dublin - Marine & Industrial - 01 4663786 - Liam Phelan - He is very good with advice and also gives training sessions through sailing clubs and Inland Waterways. I am currently repairing gel damage to a boat in Skerries - the gel colour is difficult to match so I went to Liam and we spent around 40 mins trying different combinations in his mixing machine until I was happy - you just can't do that over the phone.

In Sligo - AS Composites - good prices even taking courier into account.

I have also dealt with MB in the North and find them goood on price.

I will be pricing a large quantity of Matting and Resin soon so will be shopping around - I will post results here if you like.

yea i have looked at as composites for a 1kg kit it works out at 34 euro with delivery. and for a 1kg kit in mb with delivery 19 sterling probably 10 euro in the diffrence

That seems pretty expensive for 1kg of resin.
    When you say 1kg kit - is that just the resin and hardner or are you getting some matt with it for that price?
    Looks like MB are the way to go.

the kit is resin mat and hardener and tools. might try them out ill be going through a lot of kits in the next few months

I would imagine buying in alrger quantities would be more economical
    MB have an Ebay shop - might be worth a look

• Advertisement

Just looking at your boat the timbers look quite thin so it might be worth your while getting a roll of tape instead of mat , I think it comes in 2" 4" and 6" and would make a good clean finish if the sides are not going to be covered in anything else.

1389315947.GlassfiberTape

ive pulled them all back off cause they where to thin im going to get some ash and glass them in inch thick stuff and run one the whole lenght of the inside

Advertisement