Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puppy keeping us up all night

• 29-11-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    We recently got a dogue de bordeaux puppy who is now nearly 10 weeks old, we've had him nearly 2 weeks now and assumed after a few nights of crying and barking he'd settle down but the problem has gotten worse instead of better. His bed is in the downstairs toilet with the door open and a fire guard across it to keep him in. he has a teddy to sleep with, a light left on at night and the radio playing to keep him company but he still cries all night long keeping me and most likely my neighbours awake. As soon as i go down to him in the morning the crying stops and he will fall asleep no bother. the crying and barking also happens if i just go up stairs for a few minutes.... The dog hates being left on his own. Any suggestions of what to try would be greatly appreciated.... short of bringing him to the room with me at night,that's where i draw the line its a bad habit I don't want him picking up

Thanks, Louise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'd get him used to being in a different room but where he can still see you (baby/dog gate) during the day. This would allow you to leave doors open at night as well so he doesn't feel locked up on his own. If you have a hall leading to your kitchen this would be a good place to start. You can cook, clean etc. just go about your business, leaving the kitchen and coming back etc. and he can watch all the goings on from the hall. You need to ignore all demands for attention and pile on the hugs, treats and praise and let him into the room where you are as a reward when it stops. Explain the situation to your neighbours, tell them what you are doing about it and that the noise is only temporary until he settles into a routine.

<EDIT> Sorry I didn't read your post properly and just realised you are already doing that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Have you tried crate training her? A crate can add security. Make sure it is not too big or small for her and cover it with a blanket. Also make sure she is tired before bedtime, been to the toilet, then take 5 mins to settle her down. A tired puppy will sleep more then a hyper puppy - also dont feed/water too close to bed time so that she wont need to go to the toilet too often during the night. If she does wake - go down - bring her out for pee/poo but straight back to the crate - she has to know all the howling is not going to result in playtime during the night. My own pup cried for two weeks when I first got her - not constant but when she wanted out for a pee - now she is 7 months and sleeps right through the night - it will work so dont fret!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

My pup did the same. We left her downstairs in a pen and thought she would get over it after a few nights but she didnt. We started filling a hot water bottle and putting it in her pen each night when we put her to bed. We have since replaced the bottle wirth a snugglesafe which stays warm for 10 hours. It has worked wonders! In fact when we get up in the morning and open her pen, she doesnt even want to get out of bed anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Is it cold in the downstairs bathroom. mine is. she could be cold and uncomfortable. plenty of blankets. I used a hot water bottle (warm water) wrapped up in a towel with a bit of string before. kinda works like a mother to snuggle up with. Never pay any attention to her during the night or your in for a long road ahead.

Snap:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To add to the importance of keeping pup warm (Snugglesafes are fab), have a radio on playing low music or talk radio.
    But most importantly of all, and I speak from experience having had a whole load of pups through the doors here, you must give young pups a small meal before tucking them up for the night. Followed by a toilet trip.
    A warm snuggly bed, a full tum, an empty bladder, and some gentle background noise is a successful recipe for a sleepy pup! :)
    Nothing wrong with staying with pup until he's asleep either, gently petting him til he's asleep. I'd be inclined to turn the light off, maybe leaving a light on in another room or a nightlight to give very soft, dim light to the sleeping area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DBB wrote: »
    A warm snuggly bed, a full tum, an empty bladder, and some gentle background noise is a successful recipe for a sleepy pup! :)

Jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thankfully I learned from when our middle girl was a pup (7yrs ago time flies) and our youngest last (who's now 2) when he was a pup we used the snuggle safe heat pad. Eventhough he was in a crate by the bed etc. he wouldn't settle unless his snuggle safe is in, even now he still has it in the bed he won't settle without it. Although now and then he'll sleep on the couch, last night he did for the first time in ages because he was protecting a bone. Not the best way to keep him on the couch but we were greatful for a night of peace because he still will wake up during the night but can't blame him at the moment, with the dark cold evenings he's not getting to stay out to play till 10pm anymore lol.

Highly recommend the snuggle safe, but he will probably get upset now and then esp. if the routine changes. If you can do buy a spare cover for the snuggle safe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Do maxizoo do snugglesafes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

jo06555 wrote: »
    Do maxizoo do snugglesafes?
    Ye might get them cheaper on ebay?I saw some for 25 dollars??:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I bought a couple of Snugglesafes here lately, the best value I could find both for the product and for postage:
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-heat-pads-c-628_629

I have found cheaper Snugglesafes than above online, but the postage makes them more expensive!
    They're a lot cheaper than they used to be, the first one I bought 8 years ago was about €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

DBB wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with staying with pup until he's asleep either, gently petting him til he's asleep. I'd be inclined to turn the light off, maybe leaving a light on in another room or a nightlight to give very soft, dim light to the sleeping area.

I had a whole sleepy time routine with mine when they were pups. I had a crate so once I gave the bedtime command and they hopped in, I would rub them down one at a time, tell them "Good boy Jack, well done Jack, bedtime Jack" over and over for a few minutes until they were relaxed and they soon caught on that this meant that the crate was being closed, the light was going off and it was time for a bit of hush! I'd walk out of the room - we had them in the living room so it was nice and warm in there - quietly and easily to reinforce the 'nothing exciting happening now, everybody is going to rest' vibe. It has worked so well that now at 3 yrs old, some nights they look at me as if to say "Yo! Where's my chin scratch, I wants to to go to sleep!"
    Oh, and the soft stroking of the head and the repeated mantra worked wonders on my 8 wk old god daughter last month when I took over a few night shifts for her tired parents!

Those snugglesafes are brilliant ideas! I wish I'd know about them when mine were pups. I firmly believe that young pups need warmth and heat to thrive and I would put on the heater for mine. Of course, it was in the middle of July and quite humid and my grandmother thought she was dying from the heat so all her histrionics might have been avoided if only I'd know about the snugglesafe! Heh.

Maxizoo don't have snugglesafes so I'll go online for it now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Got mine from Amazon.co.uk for good price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

crate training all the way, I got all the advice from this forum when I got my dogs. I didnt really know much about crates and training a dog and even thought it was crual until I decided to give it a go. Best thing ever. They love it so much I just have to say "girls it's bedtime" and they go in by themselves or sometimes if they're too tired and I'm still up they'll look at me like saying "what going here why is the crate not brought in yet"

on top of that a crate can brought wherever you go. even the first time at my in-laws the girls slept all through the night no problem because they had their crate and I'm convinced it would have been a different story if they had been let loose in a room they're not familiar with.

I trained them from almost the beginning so at 4 months old and I never had a bad night, praising them at the start when they went in, no more water after 09 pm., last wee at 10 p.m. and bedtime at 10.30 p.m.
    I found this strict routime really worked, dogs THRIVE on routines. Best of luck, its only a matter of days and things WILL get better.

Our 9 week old is so good for going into the crate at night now and the past 3 nights have being howling free :) ,she goes to toilet out the back on command too when i bring her which is very rewarding as I'm watching her constantly for signs of toilet action ;) she still seems to walk into her crate during the day sometimes to attemt a pee which is a bit weird to figure out as she is so good at going outside all the time I'm hoping eventually she will realise the back door is the only option and not be lazy going to the crate, IV had to stop her mid-wee 3 times in a week as she walked into crate for pee .

Advertisement