Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Barber Itch

• 29-11-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I come to you with a problem I've suffered and pained with for about a year now. Shaving for me has become something I absolutely dread, and causes me to bleed and be in pain with whilst carrying it out. I have always had very sensitive skin that is prone to ingrown hairs, acne, cysts etc you name it.

I have an idea that the problem lies within the direction of hair growth. As you can see from the attached photos it is just the hair under the jaw line that is inflamed and aggravated. After shaving I do find it a great relief, until the hair starts to grow again; it doesn't grow outwards but almost directly inwards.

I have tried many different forms of shaving to try and turn around the discomfort I experience; 1 all the way up to 4 blades, electric shavers, shaving with different soaps, against the grain, with cold water, not shaving for weeks (which made the problem far far worse), using a shaving brush, exfoliating before, using razor bump ointments, depilatories for the face, and doctors (who haven'e a clue) prescribed courses of antibiotics which were pointless as I still had to shave. All of these and more in different combinations too. Letting my beard grow hasn't helped heal the bumps and scars that are left.

I post this with the hope that someone has been through the same and come out the other end. To be able to touch and move my face with more than a days stubble and not feel discomfort feels a million miles away now. It really has me down and unsure of what to do. One option I know I have not explored is DE shaving so I pose another question to you; Will I experience a bloodbath due to the ever present bumps and scars that are all over the neck area? How best should I approach this?

Thanks for any help forthoming..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

With sensitive skin, you should be using less blades not more. The less sharp metal you drag across your skin the better.

First let your face heal, then start shaving again with a single blade razor. Before you shave take a hot shower, get your beard very wet, really hydrate it. Then get a decent shaving cream like proraso (cheap and lasts long), soak your brush and get a very good lather up.

Shave WITH THE GRAIN, I cannot stress this enough. going against the grain will only make it worse. Concentrate on thinning the beard, as going aggressive at it and trying to eliminate the hair will do more damage than good. Make a few passes with the razor lathering your face each time until the beard is gone.

Don't exfoliate before shaving as this will aggravate the skin.

Doing this should help, I used to have bad burn (nothing as bad as yours) before I started DE shaving, Since going DE I think I've gotten burn twice, that's 6 days a week for the last year and a bit.

EDIT: One major tip, with a DE razor, let the weight of the razor do the work, don't drag the razor across your skin, as that'll result in burn, just let your hand guide the razor across your skin and the weight of the razor will do the cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Thanks for the reply, however my problem lies in the fact that my face cannot heal to be able to start "proper" shaving again.
    Shaving makes it worse, as does letting it grow, as the hairs always curl inwards. My growth is also random, going with the grain is very hard under the jawline as it tends to be completely patchy and has no bulk set pattern, especially directly under the chin.

I had to shave last night and with only 3 days growth I was unable to finish, it was too sore and inflamed. I forgot to mention that I have even got consultation for laser, but until the skin heals it's a no go. Which hasn't happened.

I want to try DE shaving as it seems like the only other option I can give a go, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on more products that are going to be sitting there on my bathroom counter along with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

Have you tried eucerin or a cream with hydrocortisone in it? Either should help clear the rash up.

Generally the reason for the ingrown hair is that the shave is too close, because of the way multi blade cartridge razor cuts the hair. The first few blades pull the hair and the last few do the cutting. When the hair starts to grow again it can get trapped and result in ingrown hairs.

If you can get rid of the rash and start DE shaving it should definitely help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I find it odd that by not shaving for weeks it got worse. If it was just related to shaving it should clear up by not shaving. It wouldn't be a quick fix but should help.

Have you gone to see a dermatologist yet? I would suggest seeing one as it could be a skin condition. You mentioned you've had it for a year so it could be Pseudofolliculitis.

Here is a thread I remember from Badger and Blade about a guy who had a similar issue.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/94775-My-Journey-towards-a-BBS-dream-W-Photos-%28Warning-not-for-the-faint-hearted%29?highlight=bumps

I have tried hydrocortisone creams before, along with a range of other topical medicines with minimal effect unfortunately. I'm fairly aware of them as I had severe acne when I was younger and have been through a vast majority.

I have been to a dermatologist also on 2 occassions (I think) about this along with other skin problems. Not helpful in the slightest; "hot shower, take your time". Maddens me to think about it as I type this how much of a waste of time it was

I have looked into Pseudofolliculitis before also, although there is no clear path to take to improve my skin from what I've looked into. I'll take a look at that link thanks, very detailed information there.

In terms of a DE razor and other accessories can anyone recommend where to start with my crippled skin! What type of razor, brush etc. Is 100€ a reasonable budget?

• Advertisement

Shame about the dermatogolist, I would have thought they could have given you much better information than that. (Unrelated to your issue but I saw something dermatologists used to do. Link)

The guy in that link had a huge amount of progress in two months, so hopefully there will be something in the link that can help you out. I would maybe even suggest you sign up at badger and blade and post a thread over there.

Your budget is more than enough for a good starter kit. Shaving.ie have some. This one is €57. I would recommend getting this cream too as it's designed for sensitive skin.

Making lather on your face would probably hurt a fair bit at the moment so just make your lather in a bowl (any will do) and use the brush to apply it. Let it sit there for a few minutes and then shave. It's important when using a DE that you use as little pressure as possible and just let the blade do the work.

Also try find out what direction your stubble grows on your neck and under your chin (as best you can). Map it out if you need to and do passes that cover mainly with the grain. There will probably be some places where you do a majority with the grain pass but some bits in it will be across or even against the grain. I would also say only do one pass too.

You've probably heard that advice a fair few times now but it's all I really have to offer unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Keith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have pretty much the same issue as you and my neck is brutal with grain going plenty of different directions the following helps me .

1. I shave just once a week cause thats all i need to at the moment , but would be just as effective more often.
    2. I use a hair trimmers/beard trimmers to cut my "beard" and face i use no blade so its as tight as i can cut with the trimmers.
    3. I then go for a long hot shower.
    4. I prep all my shave cream and blade to have it ready to go
    5. Immediately after i go and use water from the kettle boiling hot mixed with a little cold , and wet a towel and wrap it round my neck for a minute.
    6. Then massaage shave cream in with a boar brush .
    7. Use a DE razor to shave with and watch the youtube videos on how to do it right.
    7. Use a sensitive skin after shave balm , nivea works well for me.

Heres link to DE razor starter kit http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html its the same one i own and the shave cream is excellent with it .

Look at this guys starter videos they are full of great tips http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i get this pretty bad too around the sides of my neck, not so much in the middle

worst thing is I can't take really hot showers or put hot water on my face as I have rosacea too, and hot water just inflames that. I'll look into that razor linked above and hopefully a better shave can help with the problem a little bit. in retrospect buying a packet of disposable razors last week because I couldn't remember what blades to get for my regular razor wasn't a great idea.

i get this pretty bad too around the sides of my neck, not so much in the middle

worst thing is I can't take really hot showers or put hot water on my face as I have rosacea too, and hot water just inflames that. I'll look into that razor linked above and hopefully a better shave can help with the problem a little bit. in retrospect buying a packet of disposable razors last week because I couldn't remember what blades to get for my regular razor wasn't a great idea.

Firstly, great name. It's probably the only character from a sketch show I've really liked since The Fast Show was on.

Secondly, try shaving with cold water and see if helps you at all. They can take a little getting used to but work just as well as shaving with hot water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

:D

ive been wetting my face prettry heavily with warmish to cold water before I shave, I use the total shaving solution liquid stuff, and for everywhere except that problem area it makes shaving a breeze but so far nothing I've found has resulted in a shave where I don't break out.
    I actually hate shaving, and because of these breakouts I tend to wait bloody ages in between shaves.. weeks to months. I'd love to just grow a beard, but apparently I'm just not manly enough. even after 2-3 months there are hairless or practically hairless patches on my cheeks. shame I can't transplant hair from my arse :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads, have just ordered the starter kit, along with a bowl and also that sensitive shave cream. Feeling optimistic that this may be the answer to my problems, should hopefully have it by Friday and I'll try and keep this updated on my progress as I know how annoying it is to find so little information on how people got on after they have received advice.

And regarding the derm; I was shocked myself, I was on Roaccutane (A Last option drug for acne) for roughly 1-1.5 years in total with 2 different courses, the last finishing some 3-4 years ago. He first recommended I go back on another course for at least 6 months to clear up the obvious "bacterial or fungal infection" on my face. I think the look of shock on my face gave him the answer he needed. I tried to explain how It's a problem I have with shaving and the direction of my hair growth and how it aggravates my face, not an infection that can be quick fixed with a harsh drug, and proceeded to ask what advice or alternatives could he offer. "Hot shower, take your time...€120 please...." :pac:

I'll keep you all updated, might be needing some more advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads, have just ordered the starter kit, along with a bowl and also that sensitive shave cream. Feeling optimistic that this may be the answer to my problems, should hopefully have it by Friday and I'll try and keep this updated on my progress as I know how annoying it is to find so little information on how people got on after they have received advice.

And regarding the derm; I was shocked myself, I was on Roaccutane (A Last option drug for acne) for roughly 1-1.5 years in total with 2 different courses, the last finishing some 3-4 years ago. He first recommended I go back on another course for at least 6 months to clear up the obvious "bacterial or fungal infection" on my face. I think the look of shock on my face gave him the answer he needed. I tried to explain how It's a problem I have with shaving and the direction of my hair growth and how it aggravates my face, not an infection that can be quick fixed with a harsh drug, and proceeded to ask what advice or alternatives could he offer. "Hot shower, take your time...€120 please...." :pac:

I'll keep you all updated, might be needing some more advice.
    watch the youtube videos i linked to they have great tips like keeping the cream warm between first and second runs etc.

Advertisement