Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How/where to see the ISS?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I downloaded a Nasa app for my phone which tells me where/when the ISS will be viewable at my location, but to be honest I haven't a clue about astronomy or which direction it would be coming from.

Can I see it with the naked eye or is that only on a clear night? I live in South Dublin in an apartment in a north-west facing direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

go there and put in your location and itll tell ya when its possible to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I've used the following site for year's and find it great.
    http://www.heavens-above.com/

Just log in set your location and "Robert's your Father's Brother" :)

The ISS appears from the West and South West heading East. However it's height above the horizon can vary. There is nothing for the next few weeks, but if memory serves me correct it should be visible over the Christmas and New Year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

According to my NASA app it's viewable twice a day, every day? It's using my location as well to tell me that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dublin southside from heavens-above.com for the next 10 days, times are UT (GMT) giving the beginning of visibility. I'm posting this to show that there are visible passes in the next few days.

Dec 1, 6:17
    Dec 2, 5:22 and 6:55 i.e. two passes with a single orbit of the Earth in between
    Dec 3, 6:01
    Dec 5, 5:44

Check out http://www.heavens-above.com for exact details for your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

G-Money wrote: »
    According to my NASA app it's viewable twice a day, every day? It's using my location as well to tell me that :confused:
    It's not visible every day as often the passes are in daylight or when the station is in the Earth's shadow, Heavens above is a reliable site, click on "visible passes" to get rid of the unnecessary details.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will check that site out.

Is it possible to see it with the naked eye? I don't have a telescope or binoculars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Thanks, I will check that site out.

Is it possible to see it with the naked eye? I don't have a telescope or binoculars.
    Oh yes, anytime it passes over on a visual pass, provided it is not cloudy the ISS is the brightest object in the sky excluding the Moon!

Got up this morning for the pass around 6.55am and couldn't see anything. I guess it must have been cloudy as all I could see were planes that had taken off from the airport. I couldn't even see the moon where I was looking out through my apartment, unless it was behind the complex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Got up this morning for the pass around 6.55am and couldn't see anything. I guess it must have been cloudy as all I could see were planes that had taken off from the airport. I couldn't even see the moon where I was looking out through my apartment, unless it was behind the complex?
    This mornings pass was quite low in the sky, same for the next few days, though tomorrow mornings will be a little higher.
    You will really have to wait till the latter half of the month to get good views, from around the 20th onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

I use this site.....very user friendly!
    http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi/Satellites/4?

• Advertisement

The last two evenings walking home from work about 4.30pm I've been able to see the moon and something very bright to it's right. Is it possible it was the ISS or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

that would be jupiter ;)

Advertisement