Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the VRT/Customs checkpoints gone?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen one in ages, and they were about quite a bit going back maybe 12 - 18 months.

Have Customs given up on doing them in Donegal? I still see plenty of NI cars parked up in estates around the border. I would have thought it would be easy pickings in these hard times, but perhaps they have gone soft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The do a "blitz" every so often, so you might see checkpoints everywhere for a month, then nothing for ages.
    Since they have the car insurance companies providing information, it makes their job even easier. They can now choose who to pursue, people with newish cars who have more VRT to pay will be targeted before people with older cars who VRT might be relativity small.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They'd have a field day if they spent a week or two in bridgend and burnfoot, 75% of residents drive NI reg'd cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not to mention Muff, Quigleys Point, Redcastle, Fahan, Buncrana.

The number of NI cars that residents own in these places is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

I dont understand the issue here, it's not illegal to own a NI car

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fuctifino wrote: »
    I dont understand the issue here, it's not illegal to own a NI car
    We wont be going down that road - no pun intended. Take the matter up elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Just browsed over this thread.
    I am in Limerick, have a UK reg car that I bought recently, pulled into a petrol station yesterday to get diesel and guy walks up to me with a badge - Customs and Excise...

Never seen one of these guys in my life.
    Blown away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

up here they seem to instinctively know when your even considering buying a uk reg car, I saw them dipping for diesel outside Donegal Town a few weeks ago for the first time in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Die Zombie thread, Die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement