Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighborhood Advice

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My wife and I will be moving to Dublin soon, and been trying to find out about possible neighborhoods to live in. I will be working at Intel in Leixlip, and we want to have relatively easy access to the city center. It seems to me that somewhere near the train line between Connolly station and Maynooth would allow me the option to commute via train to work, which is appealing, as well as allow us to get into the city center relatively easy.

So it seems somewhere near the Clonsilla, Coolmine, Castleknock or Ashtown stations would be a good. But it is hard to tell from the ads on daft.ie what the neighborhoods are like. Are there plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. in these areas? Are they safe? Is there some other places we should be looking?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Stand Side

Ashtown newest area with loads of apartments, some shops, restauraunts and close to train. Also bus options to town and Blanchardstown centre good and close to nightlink route.
    Plenty of areas in Castleknock have shops restaurants.
    Coolmine and Clonsilla Station areas mostly residential but are close to the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Be aware that Castleknock train station is actually closer to Blanchardstown Village than Castleknock! Residential areas nearby include Roselawn and Laurel Lodge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ashtown is well worth looking at in terms of neighbourhood, but the trains can be pretty much full by the time they get to that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Allanimal

Gaspode wrote: »
    Ashtown is well worth looking at in terms of neighbourhood, but the trains can be pretty much full by the time they get to that station.

Thanks, that is good information. By "pretty much full" do you mean standing room only, or absolutely no way to squeeze on the train?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'd say you'll get on alright but it can be uncomfortable at times. A lot of people leave a Drumcondra, so it's not so bad after that. Trains going to Spencer dock tend to be less full in my experience.

• Advertisement

I'd say you'll get on alright but it can be uncomfortable at times. A lot of people leave a Drumcondra, so it's not so bad after that. Trains going to Spencer dock tend to be less full in my experience.

Oh, it looks like you are talking about going into the city centre. My daily commute, if living in Ashtown, would be the other direction, towards Leixlip.

Anyone know how full the trains are going west at typical commuting times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

When I used to work in Intel I used to get the train from Castleknock to Louisa Bridge and it would be a bit of a squeeze somedays at 7am. Some other days you would get a seat though. Standing on a train for the 15 mins it is from Castleknock is grand though.

Same sort of squeeze going to Maynooth (next stop) at 9am.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Allanimal wrote: »
    Oh, it looks like you are talking about going into the city centre. My daily commute, if living in Ashtown, would be the other direction, towards Leixlip.

Anyone know how full the trains are going west at typical commuting times?

No problem heading out of town at any time now. I guestimate that train passenger numbers are down about 20% in the last 3 years.

Yes, heading away from City Centre is no problem.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Be aware that Castleknock train station is actually closer to Blanchardstown Village than Castleknock! Residential areas nearby include Roselawn and Laurel Lodge
    kenon wrote: »
    When I used to work in Intel I used to get the train from Castleknock to Louisa Bridge and it would be a bit of a squeeze somedays at 7am. Some other days you would get a seat though. Standing on a train for the 15 mins it is from Castleknock is grand though.
    Pat Dunne wrote: »
    No problem heading out of town at any time now. I guestimate that train passenger numbers are down about 20% in the last 3 years.
    Yes, heading away from City Centre is no problem.

Thanks everyone. Those are all good to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement