Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Skyrim addicting?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, I've heard/seen loads of jokes on the subject, but is skyrim addicting? On a scale of Assassin's Creed (could play and stop at a moments notice) to WoW (forget you've a girlfriend).

got a vague feeling i might get a warning for these references.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A lack of endgame content keeps it from being at WoW levels (barring mods of course). I've seen people play a hell of a lot of Morrowwind but never at a level I'd call excessive.

You just can't get that invested in one character really, once you hit the level cap there's little else to do with them. It's not like an MMO where there's constant dungeons to be run and an ever expanding list of equipment you need to get to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You can easily pump 1-200 hours with 1 character, and then completely roll a different one.

1st a warrior type, then a sneaky stealth archer, then a mage etc..

Also, this is before the modding community has even started on it or any DLC has been released.

You can put it down anytime, because you are not competing against anyone, or don't need to get the latest gear or do anything to impress people like in WoW, you go at your own pace and let the story unfold as you like.

It's an amazing game, don't be put off buying it by thinking you will lose your life to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You can easily pump 1-200 hours with 1 character, and then completely roll a different one.

1st a warrior type, then a sneaky stealth archer, then a mage etc..

Also, this is before the modding community has even started on it or any DLC has been released.

You can put it down anytime, because you are not competing against anyone, or don't need to get the latest gear or do anything to impress people like in WoW, you go at your own pace and let the story unfold as you like.

It's an amazing game, don't be put off buying it by thinking you will lose your life to it ;)
    You can put it down sure but its all you can think about till next you play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tipster0413

:(:(:(:(:(yes, the title is correct. because of this game, i am the forgotten pregnant girlfriend.... i get it. its a video game. but when your boyfriend is 39 years old his girlfriend is a cute 22 year old woman. who just happens to also be nine months pregnant with your child, you should probly stop playing this dumb @$$ game and maybe pay attention to her. i hate this game with every ounce of my being and think about leaving him while he is playing the game that way he never even notices that i leave. this game is apparently addicting i hate it. i wish it would spontaniously combust and burn the entire entertainment center. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's addictive, but not in a significant or particularly negative way. I find if I have nothing else to do in the evening I can happily play it for a few hours straight, but if the phone rings or something comes up, I can happily drop it like a hot snot.

Don't avoid it for that reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

its not addictive, I can quit whenever I want

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

:(:(:(:(:(yes, the title is correct. because of this game, i am the forgotten pregnant girlfriend.... i get it. its a video game. but when your boyfriend is 39 years old his girlfriend is a cute 22 year old woman. who just happens to also be nine months pregnant with your child, you should probly stop playing this dumb @$$ game and maybe pay attention to her. i hate this game with every ounce of my being and think about leaving him while he is playing the game that way he never even notices that i leave. this game is apparently addicting i hate it. i wish it would spontaniously combust and burn the entire entertainment center. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I was wondering whether to get it for christmas ya see and I noticed all the comments were about 30-something year old boasting about the time you spend on it :pac:. I was curious cause my friend bought it straight off and spent most of his spare time playing it obsessively. He seems to have cooled down by now, and no longer talks about it at every single oppurtunity. So not too bad then. Also, the pics on YLYL didn't help:o
    tipster0413 frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gifyes, the title is correct. because of this game, i am the forgotten pregnant girlfriend.... i get it. its a video game. but when your boyfriend is 39 years old his girlfriend is a cute 22 year old woman. who just happens to also be nine months pregnant with your child, you should probly stop playing this dumb @$$ game and maybe pay attention to her. i hate this game with every ounce of my being and think about leaving him while he is playing the game that way he never even notices that i leave. this game is apparently addicting i hate it. i wish it would spontaniously combust and burn the entire entertainment center. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
    although this is a bit too far. Try screaming "I'm going into labour!" and hide to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

what a first post!

have exams next monday, so addictive had to lock the damn thing away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

What's she doing with a 39year old man I'd ask ? :P
    She should understand that he was probably questing as a 30 year old in Morrowind when she was still a kid, this is the next chapter in his story :D
    Also, he's probably just getting all the time in he can before his little Dovakin comes along...
    Your child is going to be named "Dragonborn" btw :P

Not believing it anyways :P...first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Next he'll be looking for a homecooked meal and half your income :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I recommend giving fellatio while he plays. You won't get his full attention but it helped our relationship. My GF is the best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its up there with the best games ive ever played,absolute masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Originally Posted by tipster0413
    yes, the title is correct. because of this game, i am the forgotten pregnant girlfriend.... i get it. its a video game. but when your boyfriend is 39 years old his girlfriend is a cute 22 year old woman. who just happens to also be nine months pregnant with your child, you should probly stop playing this dumb @$$ game and maybe pay attention to her. i hate this game with every ounce of my being and think about leaving him while he is playing the game that way he never even notices that i leave. this game is apparently addicting i hate it. i wish it would spontaniously combust and burn the entire entertainment center.

See attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Foley1Kanobi

Skyrim is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The Elder Scrolls series altogether is addictive. I started out on Morrowind. Pumped a good 1000 hours into that game over the years, different characters and mods etc. Started Oblivion about 6 months ago, about 300hrs into that. Only 100hrs into Skyrim though... still going back to Morrowind quite a lot. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Skyrim definitley is, I overplayed it and had to leave it for a few days on the last chapter, then I came back to it for a day with the intention of finishing it. Needless to say that didn't happen and I ended up spending the time doing everything else but the missions. The same thing happened the following days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ScottG1991

havent played skyrim YET but had to go through withdrawal after oblivion...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Skyrim has me absolutely hooked,so much for studying.....worth it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Me too - hooked big time on just the silly stuff. Before I realised what was happening I built up a massive quest list, just focussing on trying to bring that list down a little - taking time but will be worth it. (I hope)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Well after the first mad few days after Christmas, i've started playing it much on the basis of Fallout 3. Play for a while, get bored, play [generic shooter game] on Live, log off an hour or so later, realize that I forgot to do what I set out to do. Brilliant game though, just for the random encounters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 b_mully

I used to have a job and a girlfriend but now I have my level 50 breton mage, fair trade in my opinion

Advertisement