Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking metal detector

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi

im wonderin if you can help me, hope im in right place aswel. Im looking for a metal detector for my parents to use at home here, anything that is a metal and rusty that they find they think its neolithical or somethin :D

Thing is i havent a clue where to start, there is so many diff types and waterproof and lightweight etc etc.

Im not looking to spend a fortune as this is an extra pressie for them at xmas but something that is quite good and value for money aswel
    thanks for looking
    ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think it's a potentially dodgy thing to be using in Ireland:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=102268.new

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

robinph wrote: »
    Think it's a potentially dodgy thing to be using in Ireland:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=102268.new

:eek: seriously didnt think it would be an "offence"

All they want it for is looking around there garden here really, just a gadget that they always wanted.

So if you found something then you could get into trouble for it.

well im still gona get one for them, all they will find round here is prob a bit of sheep wire buried in the ground and a few old bottle tops.

thanks anyway for that, il tel them but cant see it going down that well with my 70 yr old dad haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I bought a cheap one about 7 or 8 years ago for (I think) €20 or 30. More of a toy compared to the expensive models but it works good enough to detect small lumps of iron in my garden.
    I believe my house was built on the site of a small foundry so after a hours detecting, my garden looked like it was attacked by an army of moles:eek:
    One small bucket of useless rusty iron for sale......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

haha thanks fuzzy clam, i guess this is what il have to expect now wit my dad. God help us, next it will be "can you put an add on done deal, scrap metal for sale"

thanks for that, i might do the same so, if they want a better one at least then we would know more about what were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kingsleyke

I think you should not rely to much on metal detector. Metal detecting is something more than a good metal detector. I found Besides owning a good metal detector, the most important thing is that you should be very patient. Because you will find much more scraps than treasures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement