Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Midrange 1.6 - What to buy?

Options
  • 30-11-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a second hand car for approx €9k. Hopefully something with low milage in the VW Passat, Opel Vectra, Skoda Octavia, Ford Mondeo range. A 1.6 petrol would probably be the best, we don't do enough milage to constitute a diesel although I wouldn't rule it out.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

corkkitteh wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a second hand car for approx €9k. Hopefully something with low milage in the VW Passat, Opel Vectra, Skoda Octavia, Ford Mondeo range. A 1.6 petrol would probably be the best, we don't do enough milage to constitute a diesel although I wouldn't rule it out.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

All post 2008 cars pay motor tax on Co2 emmissions so don't get caught up on "1.6"

A 1.4 tfsi vw petrol has more power than some older 2.0 ltr

You're right to consider petrol over diesel too as a lot less to go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 corkkitteh

Bigus wrote: »
    A 1.4 tfsi vw petrol has more power than some older 2.0 ltr

Thanks for your reply Bigus,

I have actually come across a 1.4 TSI passat with low milage for sale for just under €9k.

I did a bit of research and opinion on the engine seems rather mixed. Would the engine be sufficient for a large car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Something like a Octavia 1.8t might do the job. Not a huge difference in tax between the 1.8t and 1.6 yet the it would be much nicer engine than the 1.6 and probably do roughly the same mpg. The Audi A4 also has this engine available with it.

A Passat 1.4t would be plenty enough for the car it has more torque and power than the 1.6 it replaced and should be easy enough on fuel.

Bear in mind also that many of the cars you have listed are bigger heavy family saloons and as such a 1.6 petrol engine may not be the best engine to go for, i.e a 1.6 Mondeo would struggle I would imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

corkkitteh wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Bigus,

I have actually come across a 1.4 TSI passat with low milage for sale for just under €9k.

I did a bit of research and opinion on the engine seems rather mixed. Would the engine be sufficient for a large car?

worth going for an extended test drive so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Just stay away from the Renault "bargains" and you'll be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 1.4 Tsi Passat has 122bhp due to having a turbo charger, compare this to a Ford Mondeo 1.6 which only has 115bhp.

I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201136204305443

Currently costs €447 to tax on the new system, nice to drive, roomy and the petrol models are very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Fishtits wrote: »
    Just stay away from the Renault "bargains" and you'll be OK.

just to add....... stay away from vectra's :pac:

would a honda accord fulfill ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 corkkitteh

robbie_998 wrote: »
    just to add....... stay away from vectra's :pac:

would a honda accord fulfill ?

What is the issue with Vectra's? The 1.6 Club and Design models seem to be well spec'd and good value?

I haven't really thought much about an Accord, I thought they were quite expensive for the mid-range saloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 captainsanch

vw passat all the way.

the 1.4tsi engine(122bhp) is a gem. nice torque for a small capacity petrol and above average economy.
    in black with highline spec, nice.
    i have had the 170bhp version in a golf, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avensis, boring but good. Cheap too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

1) Mazda 6
    2) Honda Accord
    3) VW Passat
    4) Merc C class

Advertisement