Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade for PhD

Options
  • 30-11-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Currently studying for a masters in political science. To be honest, looks like a 1st will be out of reach but a 2.1 should be quite achievable. I am wondering what are the prospects of getting on a PhD programme with this result, I also have a 2.1 BA.

Was speaking to a lecturer about this and he said for funding abroad you would really need a first, though there is luck involved and the strength of your proposal as well as the research interests of staff in the college I would be applying to. What do people think here?

The lecturer recommended King's College London for my interests, but would a 2.1 be good enough to secure a funded PhD there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently studying for a masters in political science. To be honest, looks like a 1st will be out of reach but a 2.1 should be quite achievable. I am wondering what are the prospects of getting on a PhD programme with this result, I also have a 2.1 BA.

Was speaking to a lecturer about this and he said for funding abroad you would really need a first, though there is luck involved and the strength of your proposal as well as the research interests of staff in the college I would be applying to. What do people think here?

The lecturer recommended King's College London for my interests, but would a 2.1 be good enough to secure a funded PhD there?

With the state of graduate funding in the UK, probably not.

It would depend very much on your proposal and the strength of your references, and I do know someone who got onto a funded PhD course with a 2.1, but it was a 2.1 from Cambridge, and the PhD is at a university much lower ranked than KCL.

If you were applying for a PhD as part of an ongoing programme or research project which has funding already attached (check out findaphd.com), that would probably be your best chance versus applying from scratch.

Advertisement