Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new beginning?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

funny man wrote: »
    Have you proof to back this up. I have come through two Tax audits one as a sole trader and the other as a company and revenue had no problem with cheque stubs and no invoice or receipt, they only said they would not except a stub if i couldn't produce an accurate name and address of the payee. every farmer on here buys goods especially from other farmers without invoice or receipt so are you imploying that this can't be used as an expense?

Agree funny man, once expense is "wholly and excllusively" for your business(farming) and not of a capital nature then fully deductible. Only place in tax law an invoice is mentioned is for VAT and seeing as most farmers are not reqistered for VAT then there is no requirement that they issue an invoice on any sales. So the small farmer selling a few round bales etc to his neighbour does not need to issue an invoice and once the neighbour has proof of payment as you've outlined above (stub and details) it will be accepted by Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Good to have the expertise of an accountant to confirm peoples opinions. any chance you would look at the thread on setting up a company, some very poor adivce on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

While you may be right in the letter of the law KCTK, I would be very slow to say to people that there's no need to keep invoices for their purchases. There is a requirement for proper books and records to be kept which includes purchase invoices. Maybe a stub will do but its good practice to keep an invoice file. If you don't get an invoice write out the details on a piece of paper and put it on the file as a record. That way you don't need to worry when you get an audit 4 years later.
    Some Revenue inspectors are stricter than others. I had one who insisted on copies of returned cheques. This was for someone in the fishing business. Needless to say the cute hoor wasn't so cute after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

6600 wrote: »
    While you may be right in the letter of the law KCTK, I would be very slow to say to people that there's no need to keep invoices for their purchases. There is a requirement for proper books and records to be kept which includes purchase invoices. Maybe a stub will do but its good practice to keep an invoice file. If you don't get an invoice write out the details on a piece of paper and put it on the file as a record. That way you don't need to worry when you get an audit 4 years later.
    Some Revenue inspectors are stricter than others. I had one who insisted on copies of returned cheques. This was for someone in the fishing business. Needless to say the cute hoor wasn't so cute after that.

Oh totall agree 6600 on keeping proper records, if you get an invoice keep it and definately have at least enough details on a cheque stub to be able to know what that payment was exactly for if they come a knocking in the future and it would be even better as you say above to have a more detailed record (we all have computers so it would be very quick to set up an excel doc etc to fill details into, and dont say it would take too much time, how many cheques do you write every day!!!)
    It is definately hit and miss with Revenue inspectors alright, some can go absolutely mad looking for stuff and need to be managed accordingly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

As a self employed tradesman I'm VAT registered as required to attain a C2 cert, however I notice that some farmers are Vat registered and some are not. What are the advantages or disadvantages of being registered? Obviously the ability to claim back the VAT is a big plus, so why isn't everyone doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

foxylock wrote: »
    As a self employed tradesman I'm VAT registered as required to attain a C2 cert, however I notice that some farmers are Vat registered and some are not. What are the advantages or disadvantages of being registered? Obviously the ability to claim back the VAT is a big plus, so why isn't everyone doing it?

Hi foxylock,

You can still claim back tax on certain items (sheds, reclaiming, fencing) even if you are not VAT registered.
    See here

As for porcs & cons of VAT registered vs non-registered, someone else will have to answer that am afraid...

Advertisement