Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding SD company's and identifying their business etc..

Options
  • 30-11-2011 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

I'm currently researching potential company for work placement and running into a bit of a problem, identifying company's themselves. If I approach it from the recruiter side of things it's quite easy see what a company dose from their requirements of a candidate. But identifying the company is impossible as the recruiter dose not reveal their client. On the other hand if I search through the numerous company's websites I get the marketing pitch and have no real idea of the core working of the development side of the business.

But how do clients find company's either.? Is it all sourced from the Software marketers (I presume their is some sort of marketing like this).? Or do clients approach company's with projects ?

Every website is a barrage of "Intelligent solutions to your problems". How dose someone tell the difference between one company and the next. :p

Seriously though is their somewhere I should be looking that would have this info..? Really just looking for info company's that work in a JAVA/J2EE/Oracle type of environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

k.p.h wrote: »
    I'm currently researching potential company for work placement and running into a bit of a problem, identifying company's themselves. If I approach it from the recruiter side of things it's quite easy see what a company dose from their requirements of a candidate. But identifying the company is impossible as the recruiter dose not reveal their client. On the other hand if I search through the numerous company's websites I get the marketing pitch and have no real idea of the core working of the development side of the business.

But how do clients find company's either.? Is it all sourced from the Software marketers (I presume their is some sort of marketing like this).? Or do clients approach company's with projects ?

Every website is a barrage of "Intelligent solutions to your problems". How dose someone tell the difference between one company and the next. :p

Seriously though is their somewhere I should be looking that would have this info..? Really just looking for info company's that work in a JAVA/J2EE/Oracle type of environment.

Try the following:

Enterprise Ireland - list of companies getting grants, etc. Should be obvious which ones are involved in software development.

Local trade associations (it @ cork, for example).

Irish Software Association

IDA - They have a list of all companies they are involved with, ordered by industry sectors.

Local Business Directories.

If in doubt, ring them up and ask for 'the guy in charge of software development' Tell them what you're looking for and I'm sure most people will be helpful - particularly for students/graduates.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I will look into the suggested sources. Actually since didn't get a quick reply on here I was thinking no option but get the phone out and start calling any company I could find.

One thing that was discussed between myself and my class mates is sending an email to as many SD company's as we could find asking a few key questions and including would they be willing to take on students for work placement. Dose anyone think this would be worth while e.g would we get a reply or would it just go into the spam folder.?

Thanks MC

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

k.p.h wrote: »
    I will look into the suggested sources. Actually since didn't get a quick reply on here I was thinking no option but get the phone out and start calling any company I could find.

One thing that was discussed between myself and my class mates is sending an email to as many SD company's as we could find asking a few key questions and including would they be willing to take on students for work placement. Dose anyone think this would be worth while e.g would we get a reply or would it just go into the spam folder.?

Thanks MC
    I think you know the answer to that already! Straight to the bin, I'm afraid. Identify the companies first (Pretty much every product related company will be involved with either Enterprise Ireland or the IDA) and then see if you can get a contact - any contact - in the company. If they're not the right person, they'll point you to the person to talk to. HR would always be a good shot. I think I'd be impressed if a student managed to track me down and had some idea about what I was doing and wanted work in that environment.

You don't need too many companies - 5 - 10 should get you going.

BTW, a list of all development companies in Ireland or in a location along with development manager contacts would be a very valuable thing to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Excellent, I'v already identified a few that look interesting from the IDA site. I was also just wondering what people though in regard to Multinational vs SME or Start up. Where do you think the best experience would be had .?

Advertisement