Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from API

Options
  • 30-11-2011 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I received a 7 day ban from Animals and Pet Issues for highlighting a charity fundraiser "night at the dogs" and asking people to write and express their disappointment at this if they felt so inclined. The problems with greyhound racing have been much discussed on API so I didn't see a problem with this. I named the charity, but did not defame them in any way. I have also written to this charity myself to express my concern.
    The mod accused me of attempting to stage a boycott of this charity and linked my post to an entirely different post I had previously made with regard to Done Deal.
    You have been banned from Animals & Pet Issues for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:
    Using the forum as a noticeboard for purposes of attempting to boycott a charity. You were previously warned about this in relation to a similar post aimed at Done Deal. This is completely unacceptable and could land both you and Boards.ie in a lot of trouble so I have no other option this time except to issue you with a one week ban.
    I replied to the mod as such

I am messaging to express my disagreement with your reasons for banning me from API

Quote:
    Using the forum as a noticeboard for purposes of attempting to boycott a charity. You were previously warned about this in relation to a similar post aimed at Done Deal.
    I did not once call for or imply that the charity in question be boycotted. I simply asked that people contact them if concerned about their association with greyhound racing. How can people contact them if they don't know they are doing it? Would it be acceptable to start a thread asking people to be to contact charities that hold such fundraisers, without naming the charity. The issues with the greyhound industry have been well documented in API with threads that criticise Bord na gCon for example remaining open. Similarly, threads criticising other organisations (eg ISPCA, RTE, Hector etc) remain open.
    I didn't question the infraction regarding Done Deal as the link I posted that time did refer to a boycott of the organisation.
    I am therefore requesting that you lift my ban
    The reply I received was
    I'm afraid that both posts were along the same theme as far as I can see - for the purpose of rallying the troops. Contentious topics like this are open to interpretation by the organistion's named in them, this puts both you and Boards at risk of legal action. This threat occurs too often as a direct
    result of threads started in Animals & Pet Issues and if forum mods allow it to continue it is likely to mean the end of the Animals forum if we can't keep this under control. The thread you propose to replace it would still be considered as using the forum as a noticeboard and this would not be looked favourably upon. The examples you have given below are prime examples of why moderation style and content allowed in the forum has had to be changed. I'm afraid that the ban will remain in place in this case.
    The two posts were entirely different.

Furthermore, other posts...which I cannot access right at this minute...have called for organisations to be contacted in such a way. Most recently, there was a discussion on RTE being contacted over dog fighting scenes in a drama series. Also, the ISPCA has been recently criticised. There are many threads about greyhound racing.

I think that my ban is completely unjustified, and the reasons given for it are unsatisfactory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

mosi wrote: »
    I think that my ban is completely unjustified, and the reasons given for it are unsatisfactory

I don't see any reason to lift the ban here, you were warned for posting something similar (not the same but the objective was the same) and the Mod has explained to you the very serious threat that these type of posts pose to the forum

if you are warned about something and continue on in a similar manner I don't see what choice the Mod has to bring their point home to you

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I don't see any reason to lift the ban here, you were warned for posting something similar (not the same but the objective was the same) and the Mod has explained to you the very serious threat that these type of posts pose to the forum

if you are warned about something and continue on in a similar manner I don't see what choice the Mod has to bring their point home to you

Actually, the other post was completely unrelated. Besides, mods are always telling people to take an issue up with the organisation in question, which was what I asked people to do...nowhere near a boycott as has been suggested to me. I didn't see people getting banned or threads removed when people complained about the activities RTE, ISPCA, the IGB and other organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

mosi wrote: »
    Actually, the other post was completely unrelated. Besides, mods are always telling people to take an issue up with the organisation in question, which was what I asked people to do...nowhere near a boycott as has been suggested to me.

There is a difference between a user posting a grievance and being asked to take it up with the organisation and a user posting up requesting a forum take issue with an organisation, I would hope you can see this
    I didn't see people getting banned or threads removed when people complained about the activities RTE, ISPCA, the IGB and other organisations.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, that aside it may just depend on whether the organisation in question has complained to Boards or not, we are legally required to take action in those cases

As I said I feel the Mod has explained there decision to you and I don't see a reason to lift the ban so if you still disagree you can request an Admin to review the ban here

Advertisement