Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct Ethernet cable?

Options
  • 30-11-2011 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Sorry if this (perhaps silly) question is not worthy of a whole thread to itself. Just a quick question. I can't set up my PS3 wirelessly to achieve good NAT type so I've given in and decided to buy a cable to go from modem to console. Which of these would be best? (about 20m)

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?id=587&type=subcat

Thanks.

PS in case anybody is wondering situation was explained here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The AC Ryan should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

That straight wired 20m one they have on special should be fine

edit: didn't see the above post before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

AC Ryan too short, but sure I was thinking of the 20m. I'd imagine any would do, was just double checking. Thanks :)

Another question... Had to get a more expensive one (same thing I'd imagine).. PS3 still the same connected to router, would like to have it plugged directly to modem but only one ethernet port. Any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

frankled wrote: »
    Another question... Had to get a more expensive one (same thing I'd imagine).. PS3 still the same connected to router, would like to have it plugged directly to modem but only one ethernet port. Any way around this?

You need to pick up a 5 port network switch or change the router to get more ports

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=network+switch&x=0&y=0

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

You need to pick up a 5 port network switch or change the router to get more ports

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=network+switch&x=0&y=0

-

No plenty of ports on router, the problem is that the problem is still there with wired connection. I wanted to bypass router by connecting ps3 to modem but forgot there was only one port on modem.

From a security point of view, maybe you should look at why the port forwarding isn't working rather than bypassing the router. Surely there's something that can be done.

Karsini wrote: »
    From a security point of view, maybe you should look at why the port forwarding isn't working rather than bypassing the router. Surely there's something that can be done.

I really am at a dead end though. If anybody has any ideas my situation is linked in original post. Thanks.

Split your issues as they may not be related. For instance, you say that you're getting random disconnects from PSN playing Black Ops. This could definitely have been wifi dropouts so make sure that's still happening with the wired connection.

What's the problem with FIFA 12? I understand it says restrictive but what does that stop you doing that you want to do?

Zab wrote: »
    Split your issues as they may not be related. For instance, you say that you're getting random disconnects from PSN playing Black Ops. This could definitely have been wifi dropouts so make sure that's still happening with the wired connection.

What's the problem with FIFA 12? I understand it says restrictive but what does that stop you doing that you want to do?

Tried it wired and have exactly the same issue. Could it be UPC dropping out? And same thing with FIFA, if not worse. Cannot connect to servers most of time, hard to find games, keep connections. PS error code is 8002AD36

• Advertisement

Could it be my internet connection fluctuating? Few tests done close together:

1631045475.png
    1631049612.png
    1631053071.png
    1631054979.png
    1632090479.png

How about temporarily connecting the PS3 directly to the modem and see how that works?

How about temporarily connecting the PS3 directly to the modem and see how that works?

That was my next attempt, will do it as soon as I have a bit of free time. Will let you know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Also, check to see if the belkin has the latest firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Following that, make sure UPnP is on...

Still planning on doing this, but haven't had the chance yet. Will let you know.

Thanks, I checked and it does.
    Dardania wrote: »
    Following that, make sure UPnP is on...

This one is strange. It is set to be enabled on the PS3 and the router. However, when I test for it on the PS3 it comes up as not available. Any ideas? As I thought this could be a problem.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

frankled wrote: »

This one is strange. It is set to be enabled on the PS3 and the router. However, when I test for it on the PS3 it comes up as not available. Any ideas? As I thought this could be a problem.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hmmm - I sued see such behaviour with an old Netopia router where their implementation of UPnP wasn't as universal as it should have been...

what model number is the Belkin? also, have you tried restoring it to defaults?

Dardania wrote: »
    Hmmm - I sued see such behaviour with an old Netopia router where their implementation of UPnP wasn't as universal as it should have been...

what model number is the Belkin? also, have you tried restoring it to defaults?

Belkin F5D9230-4. I hate saying this but I probably won't get around to trying direct-to-modem connection or restoring it to defaults until after Christmas, too busy in the run-up to it. Thanks for help. I'll let you know when I try all this as I'm desperate to fix this.

Just to update people for fearing it would be rude if I didn't, I got COD MW3 over Christmas and everything's running great now. Still get signed off the odd time but I presume this is normal? (At this point I understand I've possibly derailed this thread to the point that it should be in the Playstation forum, sorry)

Anyway, testing it direct to modem would entail a lot of work, this test wouldn't really be reliable given how rare this error is currently.

I guess I'll just hope it keeps on like this. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement