Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honors leaving repeat help!

Options
  • 30-11-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

:(Hi lads, new to boards, i need serious help i want to repeat my leaving cert at honors level and hopefully do medicine or psychology and iff not that then get around 500 points im 23 and really feel ive wasted enough time! ive done my leaving before so im not entitled to social welfare is there any way around this + i cannot face going back to secondary school where would be the best place to do re do the leaving?? pls lads any help would be brill thx in advance wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,
    Your best bet would be to contact a local adult education centre. Some adult ed centres offer a LC through VTOS which has its own allowance as part of the scheme so you wouldn't be dependent on the DSP payment.

The main issues can be
    • Not every centre offers LC as a VTOS programme,
    • Not every adult ed centre offers a full range of honours subjects.

You can get some advice on local education options through one of the 40 VEC adult guidance services around the country. Contact details here: http://www.aegai.ie/

In the past Crumlin College offered a good LC programme for adults and might be worth looking at if you are anywhere nearby. http://www.crumlincollege.ie/part/leaving2.html

You need to check the entry requirements that would apply in your case with the relevant college. For medicine there is no mature student entry so in your case you will need to meet the points entry requirements. There may be a little more lee-way with the psychology but you do need to check with the relevant course provider.

Also be check the subject requirements for the courses you are applying for. E.G medicine will require that you do a lab science subject. Also many courses may require a third language and/or a good grade in Maths etc.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

There is nothing to say that you have to to the leaving again.....I didnt have an honours leaving and I studied psychology as a mature student. I did however do a fetac course that prepared me for going back to education. You should definitely apply in February regardless of whether you decide to repeat. Most of the universities have exams for mature students and decide from those results who they give their places to.

I dont know your situation (unemployed?) but if you are for 6months+ and and over 23 and you decide to do any course that is a higher level than the LC as in PLC courses and up you should be entitled to receive Back To Education allowance

Also you could go down the psychology route and then do medicine through the graduate entry...its an intense four year programme thats open to graduates with a 2.1+ degree.

what ever you decide to do I'd highly recommend applying for a course this February through the CAO through the mature entry route as you have nothing to loose as you can always reapply the following year. For psychology in most universities (UCD, TCD, NUIM, NUIG) once you are a mature student you will have to sit the exam and will not be excepted on your leaving results though they may be taken into account.

Paperclip2 is right though you should definitely have a talk to someone in your local VEC who may may be able to offer you some guidance.
    Best of Luck with it all let us know how you get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

yerraya wrote: »
    There is nothing to say that you have to to the leaving again...
    Also you could go down the psychology route and then do medicine through the graduate entry...its an intense four year programme thats open to graduates with a 2.1+ degree.

Yerraya is on the money as regards the mature application to Psychology and using that as a springboard to graduate entry Medicine.
    But if Medicine is what you want to do straight away then all mature applicants do have to meet the basic NUI matriculation requirements which are based on certain grades in the LC:
    Subjects required for matriculation

For entry to all degrees, English, Irish, and four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate (GCE/GCSE or other acceptable qualification) are required.

A third language must be included among the other subjects for Arts, Human Sciences, Law, Social Science, Commerce, Medicine and Health Sciences and some other degrees.

For Commerce the subjects presented must include Mathematics, and for courses in the Sciences (i.e. Science and also Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering, Food Science and Technology, Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, Veterinary Medicine) Mathematics and a Science subject.
    http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

You also do need to take the HPAT test.

:)

Advertisement