Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden change in sleep pattern

Options
  • 30-11-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

My 5 month old son has started to wake at 5am religiously whereas he used to sleep until about 7-7:30am. I know he is teething but he doesnt seem to suffer much with it during the day and he doesnt wake up crying he just wakes up and shuffles about and talks to himself. Anyone any ideas what to do? I know he is warm enough as he has winter gro bag and blanket.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My baby did this at about 5 months as well for about a week. And then stopped again. I put it down to growth spurt knocking her out of pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

yeah could be that

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

My little fella used to sleep 9 hours straight and i'm lucky if he sleeps 4 hours before waking up again. It all started when he started teething. Some days he's fine during the day and you would hope he would sleep through but no such luck. Hopefully its a just a growth spurt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, cold be teething alright, have you tried nelson teetha granuels or gel? I find both excellent. .
    Is the baby on solids yet? If not they say a sign they need to start weaning is if they begin to wake in the night or earlier. Iv read this an also was told by phn when asking her when to start solids and how would i know he needed them.

Hope this helps and litte one starts sleeping through again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

qwertytlk it isn't a sign they need to be weaned even though phns continue to say so. Milk has far more calories than solids so food will not fill them up more and make them sleep better. There are a series of growth spurts, developmental leaps, teething and sleep regressions that babies go through from 4 months up to a year and the lovely sleep routine you enjoyed when they were in the newborn stage is the first thing to change.

My son is 10 months and still doesn't have anything close to a consistent sleep pattern. He goes to bed at 7pm but after that it's a lottery. He could sleep through until 9am (happened once!) or could wake at least once and want to get up at 6am.

• Advertisement

We have already started him on solids and have noticed his is farting more and poos twice a day, the last two nights he has woke at 5am with a poo nappy! Is this normal??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Same here winnie, and they are also really smelly, much worse than before.! My son used to go once a day in the afternoon usually but now since i started solids 2 weeks ago he usually goes twice a day, first usually being early morning. So id say its normal enough, due to all the different foods in their system now...

How strange- i was just explaining what i had been told, although i do agree phn's/midwifes /gp's etc tend to give alot of conflicting information.
    Anyway it seems to have been the case for me as up until a Few weeks ago my son was happy and satisfied after bottles, suddenly that changed. So long story short i started him with a couple of spoon full once a day and the cranky, unsatisfied behaviour stopped immediately. I know they get most of their calories from milk for the first year and food is basically just to introduce new textures and tastes as well as giving them that bit extra than just fluids, but from the experience i had i can't come up wit any other explanations as i did try everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Winnie wrote: »
    My 5 month old son has started to wake at 5am religiously whereas he used to sleep until about 7-7:30am. I know he is teething but he doesnt seem to suffer much with it during the day and he doesnt wake up crying he just wakes up and shuffles about and talks to himself. Anyone any ideas what to do? I know he is warm enough as he has winter gro bag and blanket.

Noooooooooooo Winnie don't say this! I was relying on your good news story to give me some hope that my little lad will sleep through the night from 8 weeks on...don't tell me it'll only be a short spell :eek::D

Noooooooooooo Winnie don't say this! I was relying on your good news story to give me some hope that my little lad will sleep through the night from 8 weeks on...don't tell me it'll only be a short spell :eek::D

Sorry! teething is really kicking in now so sleeping is not as great but not terrible either.......he didnt go asleep until 1:30am last night but got up at 9:30am this morning

Advertisement