Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people have so many posts?

• 30-11-2011 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Looking at the number of posts some people have makes me wonder how on earth they get around to posting so much.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but am just curious if people are sitting in front of their PC's all day or else go on posting sprees or what.

Can anyone please explain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

A lot of people on here work in offices, hence are on boards most of the day... Some people are also ex Mods who would have posted a lot when they were modding..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I am very often shocked at the numbers of posts besides peoples names. I honestly can't understand how you can have 20,000 posts in just a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

To keep the fence up, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I am very often shocked at the numbers of posts besides peoples names. I honestly can't understand how you can have 20,000 posts in just a few years

That's what I mean, are people on their PCs banging out post after post or what?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

they counted to a million, 3 times. . .kinda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Looking at the number of posts some people have makes me wonder how on earth they get around to posting so much.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but am just curious if people are sitting in front of their PC's all day or else go on posting sprees or what.

I post an average of 1.5 times a day over the last few years. It adds up. You'll be pleased to know each post is a timeless pearl of wisdom though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I contract out a lot of my posting.

/standard defensive answer to cover up my shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

WHo's the most prolific poster on Boards.ie, who has the most posts per day.

I know Mike65 is well up there and Hondasam has a crazy number of posts in little over a year but who's the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

A lot of people on After Hours are on the dole too. They've got to have something to do besides watching Jeremy Kyle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The voices in my head make me do it. I'm terribly sorry. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Hmmm... maybe they work in the public sector... :D

Apologies, bad joke - I take it back for all those in the public sector who actually do a hard days work everyday.... (seriously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Mr Magners wrote: »
    WHo's the most prolific poster on Boards.ie, who has the most posts per day.

I know Mike65 is well up there and Hondasam has a crazy number of posts in little over a year but who's the best?

Go to the top of the page. Boards. Statistics. And you'll find it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's universally acknowledged that if you have more posts in an argument you are generally right.

:pac:

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I post an average of 1.5 times a day over the last few years. It adds up. You'll be pleased to know each post is a timeless pearl of wisdom though.

Yeah but you only have a few thousand over a good few years, that's easily done I would imagine.

But anything over 10,000 in a few years would take some doing.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    It's a universal acknowledged that if you have more posts in an argument you are generally right.

I disagree.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    It's a universal acknowledged that if you have more posts in an argument you are generally right.

I disagree strongly.

Very strongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

A lot of them took up the "Post One - Get One Free" deal that was on offer back in '09 and all those win 100 posts were great fun until they were abused and things got out of hand and those three Mods were jailed for trying to set fire to the internet in protest.

Biggins wrote: »
    The voices in my head make me do it. I'm terribly sorry. :o

No need to apologize.

You must have a lot to say about a lot of things to a lot of people (or something)

No need to apologize.

You must have a lot to say about a lot of things to a lot of people (or something)

...So my shrink says too! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    I disagree.

Yes, there's no "generally" about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cos we've been here 'a while'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Yeah but you only have a few thousand over a good few years, that's easily done I would imagine.

But anything over 10,000 in a few years would take some doing.

I dunno, I have the free time. Generally I only post in threads where 1: I'm interested and 2a: I think of something funny or 2b: Someone is saying something stupid.

I have more free time during the day to post more stuff, it just either doesn't amuse me or I don't get inspired by rage so I don't bother. If you look at my average, if I posted 5+ times a day till now, I'd be at the 10,000 point. Posting 5 times a day I wouldn't see as excessive. I wouldn't see 10 times a day or 15 times a day either, you can rattle off a post in 20 seconds if it's a short one.

Biggins wrote: »
    ...So my shrink says too! :(

I'm a bit worried about you.

You look as if you have aged considerably since I saw you last.

And you look worried, like a man with irritable bowel syndrome or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well there are lots of reasons OP. I have almost 10,000 which is just 2.5 per day, not that much really. As has been mentioned, some people work in offices which allows them to check Boards on and off during the day. My internet time is usually spent on only a few sites, Boards, eBay, BBC News, Wikipedia, YouTube, Flickr and Pix.ie, so when you have that small a section of sites that you visit your post count can easily go up.

Also, the number of posts a person has can depend on the extent that they use Boards. I suspect a lot of folk visit one or two forums and that's it. Personally I visit Cycling, After Hours, Fashion & Appearance, Photography, Dublin County North, Dublin City, Ranting & Raving and one or two others frequently.

The more parts of the site you visit the more likely it is that you'll post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I registered a week or two after I started my current office job 3 years ago and it keeps my sane posting and reading on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I sit in front of my computer all day. Although I get paid to write stuff so... Technically I'm in work right now. But I'm the boss. So I'd better make this fast or I might give myself a warning.

I'm a bit worried about you.

You look as if you have aged considerably since I saw you last.

And you look worried, like a man with irritable bowel syndrome or something.

Its all these 'toasters', they are getting to me!
    You try running an armada of escaping spaceships!
    I tell ya - its enough to give a man daily piles! :(

Thanks but I can't see it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I type really fast and have a head full of shíte that needs to come out. Like pus from a boil.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I work on a comouter all day but can honestly say I don't negelct my work. If you mainly post in informal forums like AH, soccer or off-topic/private threads/forums, you can easily notch up a large amount of posts just chatting on your lunch break and with a handful of posts here and there during the day and in the evenings.

Started at the very start of 06 which makes it nearly 5 years so I am a bit ashamed of my post count it must be said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Where :confused:

Can't find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm just really lonely. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I find it amusing when some posters moan that they're overweight and can't find time to exercise-may I suggest putting away the laptop& going for a jog -or they'll say their boss is complaining about their standard of work-turn off Boards and do what you're paid to do.
    In my job,I'm lucky if I get time to go to loo,let alone go online. A nice way to spend some time,yeah, but seriously sad to have thousands of posts in a short period of time.

(The above has been written on my morning off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I average 2.2 posts a day. I'd say some people average 20 to 30 times that, just checked honasams out of interests and she's at 30 a day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 StraightJacket

Perhaps some people have big families. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I used a hack I got on Gamecopyworld. I'm not actually Zulu at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Well there's another one for me.

msthe80s wrote: »
    In my job,I'm lucky if I get time to go to loo,let alone go online. A nice way to spend some time,yeah, but seriously sad to have thousands of posts in a short period of time.

(The above has been written on my morning off)

I guess building a postcount is like your mother: very easy and I just bang away at it for want of something more interesting to do.

i have lots to say

a good bit is probably from chat threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wibbs wrote: »
    I type really fast and have a head full of shíte that needs to come out. Like pus from a boil.

That is some feckin huge boil! :eek:

So the number of responses is a measure of boredome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

msthe80s wrote: »

Sounds like you've got a sh*t job mate.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That is some feckin huge boil! :eek:

And a whole lotta ****e!

Point taken :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wibbs wrote: »

Wonderful simile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Some people think and write fast, whilst others could take half an hour to write a coherent short sentence.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

It's quality,not quantity.

I think that posting Yore Ma or Blast with Piss should not count towards your total.

...or anything posted in AH ....runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'm aware of a forum where one poster has over 120,000 posts in 8 years.

If you take the minimum time for a single post to be 30 seconds that means over 5 days a year posting on a single messageboard! :eek:

Anyone able to help with the statistics question, trying to find the most prolific posters?

:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement