Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people have so many posts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

so...

posting less is the new posting more?

got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

bluefinger wrote: »
    so...

posting less is the new posting more?

got it.

You obviously don't as you just posted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Anyone able to help with the statistics question, trying to find the most prolific posters?

Try this for a start....... Prolific poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand how you can have 20,000 posts in just a few years
    Patiently awaits phone call from a customer... :pac:

OOoooo... shiny post on boards.ie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Hondasam has a crazy number of posts in little over a year but who's the best?
    just checked honasams out of interests and she's at 30 a day!

Hondasam is robot, or a fembot, or a something bot... She's always watching! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Just my opinion of course....

If you put it into context, it's really quite patethic that someone would have over 25,000 posts on one web site in a matter of a few years. I would attribute this to said persons not having a life and being glued to their laptop/pc in their bedroom of their mothers house. These people feel the need to post in every thread and it would mostly be nonsence.

Quality over quantity.

Again just my personal opinion.

If you put it into context, it's really quite patethic that someone would have over 25,000 posts on one web site in a matter of a few years. I would attribute this to said persons not having a life and being glued to their laptop/pc in their bedroom of their mothers house. These people feel the need to post in every thread and it would mostly be nonsence.

Quality over quantity.

My personal opinion is you haven't a clue :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Quality over quantity.

Or they could be bed-bound.
    These people feel the need to post in every thread and it would mostly be nonsence.
    Quality over quantity.

ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Post count is like age, there's a point in your life where you crave it, and a point where you wish you cound dial it back a notch.

Pass the Sage, Chef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon it's mostly to do with typing speed, in that some people are painfully slow, others can write thousands of words in ten minutes.

I'm always blown away when doing some kind of IM chat with non-techie people (be it facebook, skype, MSN, whatever), you send a message, then theirs changes, to "Joe is typing a message", stays like that for 5 minutes and the reponse is, "Yeah cool. See you later". You just know it actually took them the full five minutes to bang that out one finger at a time.

Mine was mostly built up in college and early working life. During a part-time job I was clocking up 50 posts a day, easily. Pure boredom. Like themadchef says, you reach a point where it becomes something you wish you could remove. Not just the post count, but probably every post before 2007 as well.

seamus wrote: »
    You just know it actually took them the full five minutes to bang that out one finger at a time.

Giggidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've averaged 7.5 posts per day apparently. Feels like more...

IIRC I made over 1000 posts in last year's X Factor thread, I remember my PPD having a sudden jump around then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Quality over quantity.

That's the standard sterotypical image of a teenage poster and you could say the same about the millions of people who post on face book or any other website everyday .You can easily fire off 25 one liner posts in an hr and lots more time to post over weekends in various threads and private forums ... go figure .

As long as they get their 6/8 hrs sleep and 5 a day .
    seamus wrote: »
    Mine was mostly built up in college and early working life. During a part-time job I was clocking up 50 posts a day, easily. Pure boredom. Like themadchef says, you reach a point where it becomes something you wish you could remove. Not just the post count, but probably every post before 2007 as well.
    Same here as above with college and work with easy acess to internet .I could easily take away a few thousends posts if I could ...no bother

phasers wrote: »
    I've averaged 7.5 posts per day apparently. Feels like more...

It was ages before I realised that some sub forums don't count the posts you make... I think TCN is one.

Latchy wrote: »
    That's the standard sterotypical image of a teenage poster and you could say the same about the millions of people who post on face book or any other website everyday .You can easily fire off 25 one liner posts in an hr and lots more time to post over weekends in various threads and private forums ... go figure .

Same here as above with college and work with easy acess to internet .I could easily take away a few thousends posts if I could ...no bother

yea ok...as stated twice in my post its my "personal opinion only"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Lets face it, the people with the high post count are the ones who have no real world social skills.

They have no friends, nobody listens to them or values their opinions.

They therefore resort to building a persona for themselves online where after accumulating thousands of posts they somehow have this 'respect' from all the other Boards members. God help you if you don't agree with one of their views or points - you will be 'out-thanked' if you and that person get into a discussion/argument where you both have differing views!

I think that's how Boards works anyway?

:pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    My personal opinion is you haven't a clue :pac:

you are exacly what im talking about....21,000+ posts and still feel the need to add in 1 liners to get your count up. :)

you are exacly what im talking about....21,000+ posts and still feel the need to add in 1 liners to get your count up. :)

I'm not trying to get my count up, I'm being succinct ;)
    Anyway your post said 25k, not 21k :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Does anybody else get the distinct impression that the OP started this thread to boost his own post count?

So now you're going to just dismiss people with high post counts?

You can't just put 'my opinion' into a statement and expect people not to argue against it. There's no need to be rude to users who disagree with your view.

Also as a side note, this :) smiley is so passive aggresive, I've developed a real dislike for it. (That part isn't aimed at anyone in particular mind, I've just noticed it a lot lately and the post I've quoted happened to use it.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

because people like to get involved it can be easy to make a post on random crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Some people just have very interesting and important things to say that people need to hear.

Like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Latchy wrote: »

this. it would be better to have the ratio of words to posts. in the current system it doesnt matter if you say "ok" "lol" ":pac:" or a 2, 500 word essay its all still counted as one post.

it summary: it doesnt mean anything like most statistics

You can't just put 'my opinion' into a statement and expect people not to argue against it. There's no need to be rude to users who disagree with your view.

Also as a side note, this :) smiley is so passive aggresive, I've developed a real dislike for it. (That part isn't aimed at anyone in particular mind, I've just noticed it a lot lately and the post I've quoted happened to use it.)

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hint to admins: a once-off subscription charge to reset post counts to a less mortifying number would be probably be a financial goer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

that because you use it as passive aggressive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Lola92 wrote: »
    Does anybody else get the distinct impression that the OP started this thread to boost his own post count?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

stovelid wrote: »
    Hint to admins: a once-off subscription charge to reset post counts to a less mortifying number would be probably be a financial goer. :)

Tenner says Dev never thought he'd read a post like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd be more mortified handing over the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I feel guilty at how often I post on boards, I cant imagine how some people have the time to post so much. I mean even if your unemployed surely you wouldnt spend all day at it. What I cant get my head around at all is those who have a massive post count with their average post being several hundred words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you posted a lot of short responses like "tl;dr" or quoted people and added nothing except ":rolleyes:" you'd build up your post count fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

lastlaugh wrote: »
    You obviously don't as you just posted that.

it's hip to be square. :p

Lets face it, the people with the high post count are the ones who have no real world social skills.

They have no friends, nobody listens to them or values their opinions.

They therefore resort to building a persona for themselves online where after accumulating thousands of posts they somehow have this 'respect' from all the other Boards members. God help you if you don't agree with one of their views or points - you will be 'out-thanked' if you and that person get into a discussion/argument where you both have differing views!

I think that's how Boards works anyway?

:pac:

You think about this a lot, don't you?

themadchef wrote: »

Or a thanks reduction operation. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You would lose your god-like post status! Don't do it!

Or are you mortified that your mere 22K post count is dwarfed by mike65? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know you're only piss taking, but you actually find at boards events that it's the high post counters (excluding moi) who would generally be the loudest, friendliest, most outgoing people there.

When you speak to someone who appears terrified/shy/lost at a boards beer, they'll introduce themselves and more often than not follow it up with, "I don't post very much".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes, that's the motivation behind her post - you should put those mind-reading skills to better use.

I'm pretty embarrassed about my post count tbh - however, it was notched up due to a boring receptionist job resulting in me posting probably 30 or 40 times a day, and ditto when I was a student, and ditto when I was out of work, and I am a very fast typist, and have been a member of private forums with chat threads. My daily average is over 12 posts a day, which therefore works out that there are days when I haven't actually posted! :eek:

It might seem sad, but what's sadder is making snide, personal digs at people for their post-count - really sad to be so obsessed about something fairly inconsequential. Some people enjoy engaging in online discussions - get over it. Is it any worse than gaming or watching a lot of TV/box-sets - also solitary activities?

I fail to see how it indicates a lack of social skills, but whatever makes people feel better about themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

You would lose your god-like post status!

Godlike.

Slagging off post count is like slagging off thanks whoring. Some of the criticism is valid, but most of it stems from turning a position of contingency (having nothing considered worthwhile or funny to say) into a idealogical statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

themadchef wrote: »

Wot! :eek:

...The Daily Mail would be make up new headlines! "Boards.ie Caught In Clocking Scandal!" :pac:

Didn't a load of people's postcounts go down a couple of years ago as well? I feel like I read a feedback thread about it.

So some users have even more than you think OP!

Veles wrote: »
    I don't care what other peoples post count is,i use and enjoy the site:)

Ah, that's so sweet. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

because

I

• Advertisement

a

lot :p:p