Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people have so many posts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

msthe80s wrote: »
    I find it amusing when some posters moan that they're overweight and can't find time to exercise-may I suggest putting away the laptop& going for a jog -or they'll say their boss is complaining about their standard of work-turn off Boards and do what you're paid to do.
    In my job,I'm lucky if I get time to go to loo,let alone go online. A nice way to spend some time,yeah, but seriously sad to have thousands of posts in a short period of time.

(The above has been written on my morning off)

Glad to see you put your morning off to good use upping your post count.

My post count on here isn't too high as for years I was busy clocking it up elsewhere. Why do I post? Because if I didn't have discussion boards as an outlet I'd barely speak to another human being (apart from my kids and they don't count), other than day-to-day work/shopping/neighbour/etc interaction, most days a week.

I miss being young and having friends that I can shoot the breeze with. Generally, if I call up a friend these days, it's either a bit like phoning Magda (from BJ's Diary), or they're on their way out to pick up/drop off kids, or they have to rush off to start up one of their aged parent's peg feed, or any one of a million 'grown-up" duties. Nobody really has time anymore or at least the time when I have time. :(

Before discussion boards it was chatting on the phone. I worked for a large company in London years ago where we spent a lot of time calling family and friends both in the UK and in Ireland. If one of us took a week off, the other had to up the phone calls so whoever dealt with the phone bills didn't wonder why it had dropped substantially. It was always a blessing when we'd have a temp in from Australia or New Zealand and they could take the pressure off us. I used to love the look on their faces when they'd timidly ask if they could make a phone call to the doctor and we'd tell them to knock their socks off and phone home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Internet forums attract a load of socially inept pathological liars whose only confidence in communicating with people is through typing words about their fictional lives. So in order to feel a connection to their version of the real world they're post count goes up in some sort of cock measuring contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

stovelid wrote: »
    You think about this a lot, don't you?

No. I saw the OP and was reminded of a lot of the tripe I've read here over the last couple of years!
    seamus wrote: »
    I know you're only piss taking, but you actually find at boards events that it's the high post counters (excluding moi) who would generally be the loudest, friendliest, most outgoing people there.

When you speak to someone who appears terrified/shy/lost at a boards beer, they'll introduce themselves and more often than not follow it up with, "I don't post very much".

I was only piss taking in fairness.

I can see your point, and understand what you mean. But I also feel there is some validity to the point I was making, even if it was a little tongue in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

No. I saw the OP and was reminded of a lot of the tripe I've read here over the last couple of years!

And what tripe is that 'Oaklyn Billions Column'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just my opinion of course....

If you put it into context, it's really quite patethic that someone would have over 25,000 posts on one web site in a matter of a few years. I would attribute this to said persons not having a life and being glued to their laptop/pc in their bedroom of their mothers house. These people feel the need to post in every thread and it would mostly be nonsence.

Quality over quantity.

Again just my personal opinion.

You say quality over quantity as if expecting all their posts to be drivel. It could be someone who posts quite often in regards to a number of subjects they are quite passionate about.

After all, boards is a discussion forum. When talking amongst peers do you comment on how often someone speaks?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Internet forums attract a load of socially inept pathological liars whose only confidence in communicating with people is through typing words about their fictional lives.
    Which tbh ,doesn't take much to figure out but if somebody want's to create a walter mitty lifestyle online for themselfs it's really only themselfs they are fooling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

I joined up a two years ago but only started reading boards and posting in the last few months, hence my almighty post count

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Why do some people think others want a higher postcount?

To whom is having a high postcount considered a great achievement!?

There's no inherent correlation between postcount and post quality.

It's like being proud of talking more than another person, regardless of the quality of your conversational skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Yeah but you only have a few thousand over a good few years, that's easily done I would imagine.

But anything over 10,000 in a few years would take some doing.

i got 10k in ten months on another forum :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Thanks but I can't see it :confused:
    Lapin wrote: »
    Where :confused:

Can't find any.

FYI:

boards.ie --> Top Statistics --> Users: Most Posts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Internet forums attract a load of socially inept pathological liars whose only confidence in communicating with people is through typing words about their fictional lives. So in order to feel a connection to their version of the real world they're post count goes up in some sort of cock measuring contest.

They probably do, moreso in larger countries though.

I'm pretty much as I am in real life, on boards. i'm not articulate, and have problems understanding people some times, but I don't pretend to be any different than that in either real life or here. I don't make up anything (except the odd time in AH for comical value) but some probably do. it's very cynical and kinda sad to think you assume everyone's lying all the time. I don't hide the amount of time I spend on here. the only reason I've such a high post count is because when I broke my ankle last year I had literally nothing to do for about 6 solid weeks, and that's what I did with my time. I probably actually have more than 13000 whatever it is, because there's some forums I'd have been in that wouldn't count the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

That's what I mean, are people on their PCs banging out post after post or what?!

Yeah, some people have a lot to say, most of it pointless stuff. Just like my post.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

That's what I mean, are people on their PCs banging out post after post or what?!

Its PC gone mad!

sorry

Lets face it, the people with the high post count are the ones who have no real world social skills.

They have no friends, nobody listens to them or values their opinions.

They therefore resort to building a persona for themselves online where after accumulating thousands of posts they somehow have this 'respect' from all the other Boards members. God help you if you don't agree with one of their views or points - you will be 'out-thanked' if you and that person get into a discussion/argument where you both have differing views!

I think that's how Boards works anyway?

:pac:

Yup, there's a lot of back slapping from some quarters on here. Real pally pally stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I seek validation from my peers that I'm a funny person - unfortunetly this hasnt been validated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I enjoy writing and discussion - Boards.ie is perfect for it.
    Lets face it, the people with the high post count are the ones who have no real world social skills.

They therefore resort to building a persona for themselves online where after accumulating thousands of posts they somehow have this 'respect' from all the other Boards members. God help you if you don't agree with one of their views or points - you will be 'out-thanked' if you and that person get into a discussion/argument where you both have differing views!

Yep, you think. Mostly in your head dude - seeing as you haven't met them. Maybe you're right about some people, but I don't understand how you've come to the conclusion that that's applicable to all of them.
    People don't respect people because of their postcount - that's a paranoid and silly view. People who are regular posters and over a long period of time are bound to be recognised and paid attention to. Must be a strange world you live in if you think there are people whose minds actually work as follows: "I respect that person because of the amount of posts they have - I will defend them with my life, even if I disagree with them..." :confused:
    Everyone was new here at one point.
    du Maurier wrote: »
    Yup, there's a lot of back slapping from some quarters on here. Real pally pally stuff.
    Meh, that's just the natural order of things - if you are here long enough, you obviously build up online rapport with certain people. Do you think you're exempt or something?

I don't understand being a member of a site just to take pot-shots at people who use it... :confused:

Dudess wrote: »
    I enjoy writing and discussion - Boards.ie is perfect for it.

Yep, you think. Mostly in your head dude - seeing as you haven't met them. Maybe you're right about some people, but I don't understand how you've come to the conclusion that that's applicable to all of them.
    People don't respect people because of their postcount - that's a paranoid and silly view. People who are regular posters and over a long period of time are bound to be recognised and paid attention to. Must be a strange world you live in if you think there are people whose minds actually work as follows: "I respect that person because of the amount of posts they have - I will defend them with my life, even if I disagree with them..." :confused:
    Everyone was new here at one point.

Meh, that's just the natural order of things - if you are here long enough, you obviously build up online rapport with certain people. Do you think you're exempt or something?

I don't understand being a member of a site just to take pot-shots at people who use it... :confused:

Long enough? More appropriately in your case, often enough. That's your prerogative. It's the natural order of things of course.

No, I'm not exempt or pot-shot taking. An observation and opinion like people should be allowed.

And there are probably high counts as some people have an unrelenting desire to offer up their opinions on any thread going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Again, the high post count wouldn't be directly related to a posters ability in social situations, at least in my mind anyway.

I don't think anybody starts out with a discussion board account with the intention of building up a persona! :confused:

Of course there are some posters that think they poo gold, and there are some posters that like to thank that gold poo, it is fairly blatant but much of the time it's a matter of a poster is a poster, and to most are seen as being given the chance to write whatever they think, without any sort of pre judgement. although I am guilty of rolling my eyes at certains posters posts without having even read them :D

there are cliques in here, same as probably most forums on boards, but well if there are people who thank or agree with others just because of the name on their account, well then let's all say that that is pathetic, but then they probably already know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Thin ice Teddy...
    was that not ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

was that not ok?

NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

KeithM89 wrote: »
    NO.
    Ok, Sorry. I'll make sure not to do it again.

Who has the most posts on boards? Mike is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Screw you OP... why do you have so few posts? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 XORAND

Your postcount is directly proportional to your lack of work ethic. At least generally. People with 50,000+ posts must have no life.

There. I said it. You might be better served by not passing comment on others all the feckin time and actually working or at least trying to get a job.

If you are in an office typing ****e all day, you need to learn some work ethic. Post on your own time, not your employers. They ain't paying you to talk ****e.

Of course, none of the above applies if you post in your own time. That fine.

XORAND wrote: »
    If you are in an office typing ****e all day, you need to learn some work ethic. Post on your own time, not your employers. They ain't paying you to talk ****e.

Fúck you, I have minions to do the work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Your postcount is directly proportional to your lack of work ethic. At least generally. People with 50,000+ posts must have no life.

There. I said. You might be better served by not passing comment on others all the feckin time and actually working or at least trying to get a job.

What about telesales staff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clownman

I have 1 post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Post counts generally don't bother me one way or another but sometimes I would use it as a 'credibility score' if a particular poster whose name I wasn't familiar with made a strange / unusual / obscene / derogatory / troll / schill type post.

While it is understandable that a strong contributor would build up a high post count over time those who have built up gazillions of posts in a relatively short space of time I think of as saddos! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

There. I said it. You might be better served by not passing comment on others all the feckin time and actually working or at least trying to get a job.

What does that mean for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Of course, none of the above applies if you post in your own time. That fine.

You must just spend your time closing and opening new accounts then...

smash wrote: »
    Screw you OP... why do you have so few posts? :D

I don't have that much to say, and what I do say is considered 'tripe' by goody two shoes steviecakes, and that makes me hurt inside.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mrsoundie wrote: »

Are you a CEO?

mrsoundie wrote: »

I don't know. I would need to discern between the posts you made at home and work to make a fair judgement. The post count isn't the only one to consider. It's not unreasonable to generally presume somebody who posts all the time is either an office worker or unemployed. Office jobs would drive you to drink. I could never work in a job like that. No intellectual stimulation.

As I said, the judgement is a guideline, not an absolute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well if loads of people didnt post it'd be boring.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You might be better served by not passing comment on others all the feckin time ..
    People with 50,000+ posts must have no life...

5 posts and you're already passing comment on others..by your own logic, you'll have 50,000 by the end of the year.

I don't know. I would need to discern between the posts you made at home and work to make a fair judgement. The post count isn't the only one to consider. It's not unreasonable to generally presume somebody who posts all the time is either an office worker or unemployed. Office jobs would drive you to drink. I could never work in a job like that. No intellectual stimulation.

As I said, the judgement is a guideline, not an absolute.

You sound like an audatious kind of guy.

I like your style. (But not in a homosexual way)

What do you work at there big fella?

o1s1n wrote: »
    5 posts and you're already passing comment on others..by your own logic, you'll have 50,000 by the end of the year.

I will probably be banned before that. The mods keep a close eye on me:)

None of what I said applies really if it's in your own time. This place is a sea of good information and knowledge most of the time. It's the dribblers that bring the place down. I can't read anything in the celebrity forum without my eyes bleeding.

What do you work at there big fella?

I am afraid I would have to kill you if I told you:)

I am afraid I would have to kill you if I told you:)
    on the dole then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

clownman wrote: »
    I have 1 post

Liar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why do some people think others want a higher postcount?

To whom is having a high postcount considered a great achievement!?

There's no inherent correlation between postcount and post quality.

It's like being proud of talking more than another person, regardless of the quality of your conversational skills.

It's like Thanks.

The people that seem most obsessed about it are the ones claiming to place little store by it.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    on the dole then.

I've never been on the dole. I would work cleaning **** off the streets before going through all that Government paperwork. Menial jobs will always tide you over. I have no problem with people who don't abuse the dole, it's the life'ers that bring the genuine people on the dole down.

And yes, I'm fully serious.

o1s1n wrote: »

Exceptions:)

If you aren't doing it all the time, it's a ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Exceptions:)

If you aren't doing it all the time, it's a ok.

Congratulations.

Your 10th post today.

As of this post, you have the same post-per-day ratio as a sad person like me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I get kind of antsy when I'm not doing eight things at once so I have to post on boards to keep @V Hi Mam, got the book you sent, thanks@vselect dateofbirth from client where id > 36541@v www.canyouseeme.org@vskype is hanging again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

I don't even have enough posts for a ....signature :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Bless :D

\0/ hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I joined and posted a little bit yeeeears ago.

Then stopped using boards for bout three years.

Then started working in an office :(

Gettin over 5 figures in a year or two is damn impressive tho :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

so how was your day?

join in, Im trying to get you up to the 20 or 25 posts needed : D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Saila wrote: »
    so how was your day?

join in, Im trying to get you up to the 20 or 25 posts needed : D

My day hasn't been created yet, we have 7 days, but the 8th will soon be created in my name. Then you can ask me how was my day ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

phasers wrote: »

Also as a side note, this :) smiley is so passive aggresive, I've developed a real dislike for it. (That part isn't aimed at anyone in particular mind, I've just noticed it a lot lately and the post I've quoted happened to use it.)

Ohh sweet Jesus, thank god I'm not the only one that has noticed that. Passive aggression is the most cowardly shit in the world. Passive aggression on the internet? When the only comeback you have to fear from being forthright with your disagreement is someone typing something at you? These people should be eviscerated by flocks of wild geese and their corpses paraded through the streets at dawn for the entertainment of the proletariat...

Advertisement