Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people have so many posts?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

It's a bit sad tbh. anyone with that amount of posts really needs to re-evaluate their life and see where it is they're heading and what they're doing. the likes of mike and hondasam, there's a whole world out there beyond the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

My day hasn't been created yet, we have 7 days, but the 8th will soon be created in my name. Then you can ask me how was my day ;-)

fail, anyway you're nearly there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I have been reading AH for years and never posted :eek: (some serious funny stuff here). Seems like the perfect time to start. Post 1! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's a bit sad tbh. anyone with that amount of posts really needs to re-evaluate their life and see where it is they're heading and what they're doing. the likes of mike and hondasam, there's a whole world out there beyond the internet.

You know what's sad, the likes of you and other posters here who have no idea what my life is like or what it is I do everyday.
    It will be a cold day in hell when I feel I have to justify myself to people on the internet who know jack**** about me.

I suggest people post what ever they want and never mind what other posters do.

this thread will end well

:\

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

XORAND wrote: »
    Your postcount is directly proportional to your lack of work ethic. At least generally. People with 50,000+ posts must have no life.

There. I said it. You might be better served by not passing comment on others all the feckin time and actually working or at least trying to get a job.

If you are in an office typing ****e all day, you need to learn some work ethic. Post on your own time, not your employers. They ain't paying you to talk ****e.

Had a bad day did we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It would be nice if people were judged on the quality of their posts rather than the qty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Dudess wrote: »
    Must be a strange world you live in if you think there are people whose minds actually work as follows: "I respect that person because of the amount of posts they have - I will defend them with my life, even if I disagree with them..." :confused:
    Everyone was new here at one point.

I want to agree with this, but I have seen, more than once, post-count used as a tool to support an otherwise failing argument. Quite what it's supposed to prove wasn't explained, but the intention was clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 XORAND

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, that's the motivation behind her post - you should put those mind-reading skills to better use.

I'm pretty embarrassed about my post count tbh - however, it was notched up due to a boring receptionist job resulting in me posting probably 30 or 40 times a day, and ditto when I was a student, and ditto when I was out of work, and I am a very fast typist, and have been a member of private forums with chat threads. My daily average is over 12 posts a day, which therefore works out that there are days when I haven't actually posted! :eek:

It might seem sad, but what's sadder is making snide, personal digs at people for their post-count - really sad to be so obsessed about something fairly inconsequential. Some people enjoy engaging in online discussions - get over it. Is it any worse than gaming or watching a lot of TV/box-sets - also solitary activities?

I fail to see how it indicates a lack of social skills, but whatever makes people feel better about themselves...

As I mentioned, it's not a problem if it's on their own time. People don't have to justify their lives to others. But when you are clocking up that number of posts in work, something has gone amiss. No offence, but how have you not been sacked for posting that amount in work?:eek:

I would agree with quality over quantity. The posters that have a lowish count but contribute to forums with high quality content is much preffered to some dribbler who writes what he/she is doing next following the painting of their toenails or talking about shaving their <snip>. Gross.

The clearasil and hormones thread is a prime example of this. If your posts come mainly from this thread, you may just be a complete spoofer, like myself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 XORAND

Biggins wrote: »
    Had a bad day did we?

Every day is a bad day for me:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lets face it, the people with the high post count are the ones who have no real world social skills.

BS. Being a person who likes to interact with others I use boards to sate my need for (pseudo) social contact. I'd much rather be out mucking about with real people in my free time but I'm well into my thirties.
    I get kind of antsy when I'm not doing eight things at once

Me too. I have a busy head and sometimes I just post my thoughts as a way of expunging the rubbish from it. I also go through phases. Boards is the latest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barr32

16 posts 17 now, 0.08 per day i need 2 get my finger out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have no life.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Do you know what I think of people with high post counts? Nothing, I couldn't care less.
    I have no life.

Simple.

Yea right, weren't you involved in some hostage situation where two plumbers saved you from a mutant turtle or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Snakeblood wrote: »
    I post an average of 1.5 times a day over the last few years. It adds up. You'll be pleased to know each post is a timeless pearl of wisdom though.

Yeah but you only have a few thousand over a good few years, that's easily done I would imagine.

But anything over 10,000 in a few years would take some doing.

Not really.10k posts is only an average of 9 posts a day.

It's easily done if you tend to get into discussion threads rather than just posting a single response in AH to get a thank or two. I'm the latter. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

du Maurier wrote: »
    And there are probably high counts as some people have an unrelenting desire to offer up their opinions on any thread going.
    that's one way of looking at it, but alternatively, some people just enjoy an online discussion.
    I didn't even join Boards to get involved in discussions, I just joined it because a particular forum of interest to me was hosted by here. Then I got suckered in... I find it enjoyable, if addictive. I was a mod too on a busy forum, so a lot of my posts are due to that.

Also, I am a member of a top secret boards.ie society called the PC brigade. If anyone voices an opinion that dares to step outside the parameters we decide are PC. We quickly PM one another and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

People with a lot of thanks are insecure and need validation.
    People who post a lot in know your nerds are ego maniacs.
    People with a high post count have no social skills.

If you're retarded enough to believe any of this crap write a fucking thesis on it and stop complaining about it to a bunch of people who don't care.

strobe wrote: »
    Ohh sweet Jesus, thank god I'm not the only one that has noticed that. Passive aggression is the most cowardly shit in the world. Passive aggression on the internet? When the only comeback you have to fear from being forthright with your disagreement is someone typing something at you? These people should be eviscerated by flocks of wild geese and their corpses paraded through the streets at dawn for the entertainment of the proletariat...

I thought it was just a happy face, I would like too take this opportunity to apologise to those I may have offended, really I mean no harm :)

Disclaimer: The above smiley is meant purely as a happy face and has no passive aggressive connotations.

mackg wrote: »
    I thought it was just a happy face, I would like too take this opportunity to apologise to those I may have offended, really I mean no harm :)

Me too. I only ever use it in a 'smiling at ya' kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

mackg wrote: »

Disclaimer: The above smiley is meant purely as a happy face and has no passive aggressive connotations.

Ah no, obviously it is normally just a smiley face, and that's how almost everyone uses it. I've just noticed the alternative use being deployed by certain people as of late. It's not rampant or anything. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My posting frequency has fluctuated since I joined. The average is about 9, but in reality there may be days where I don't post, or maybe one or two here and there. The more free time I have = more posts.

People use boards differently. Some get involved in discussion and therefore contribute a lot of posts to that thread. Others come in and make one point then leave. A lot of the people being judged for having high post counts are being branded as anti-social, and it couldn't be further from the truth. They often have some of the best points and advice to give.

I don't understand why they should feel ashamed, I know I certainly don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Yeah I really don't understand it either. I also don't get how some people post for the sake of increasing your post count. Surely if anything, it's more embarassing if you have a higher post count :p

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Surely if anything, it's more embarassing if you have a higher post count :p

Why? what do you think that says of the poster, as a matter of interest?

hondasam wrote: »
    You know what's sad, the likes of you and other posters here who have no idea what my life is like or what it is I do everyday.
    It will be a cold day in hell when I feel I have to justify myself to people on the internet who know jack**** about me.

I have a great idea of what you do everyday, you sit down on the PC and log on here and post away for 16 hours straight.

If i had 20,000 posts in a year, I'd be pretty ashamed tbh.

That amount of posting is like a full time job.

You'd genuinely want to be sitting down at the laptop for the day ready to do a 10 hour shift on boards, breaking only for coffees and toilet use.

Abi wrote: »

I think it says they don't have much of a life in the real world, that their life is inherently circled around their online activity, FB boards twitter etc. I actually sympathise with people with that much posts. It's a pathetic existence.

Yeah I really don't understand it either. I also don't get how some people post for the sake of increasing your post count
    Who does that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Abi wrote: »

I don't know any posters on here in real life so can't really comment to be honest. But very high post counts in the space for, for example, a year would suggest to me that either they have a lot of time on their hands (which is fine and if you enjoy posting on boards go ahead), or they are substituting more important things in life and spending too much time in front of a computer screen. It's not healthy

It's just my opinion though. I'm sure I will get attacked for it but there ya go

hondasam wrote: »

I have a great idea of what you do everyday, you sit down on the PC and log on here and post away for 16 hours straight.

You'd genuinely want to be sitting down at the laptop for the day ready to do a 10 hour shift on boards, breaking only for coffees and toilet use.
    It was 16 hours at the start of your post. It's possible to post 10 times in an hour. I don't know where you're getting those figures from. Pretty nastily judgemental. Hondasam works - when you're at a desk all day and have net access, you have scope to post a lot. It explains a big chunk of my post count.

I think it says they don't have much of a life in the real world, that their life is inherently circled around their online activity, FB boards twitter etc.
    So would it be fair to say that you think I live off the likes of FB, twitter and all that shit too?
    I actually sympathise with people with that much posts. It's a pathetic existence.

Those blinkers look a bit tight on you, would you like me to loose them for you?

While there are people that may most for the sake of posting, nothing but pure spammy shyte, there are people that post regularly here - that partake in serious discussions, offer advice in the likes of PI and other fora. But they're a sad bunch of fuckers too, is that correct?

• Advertisement

You are wrong on all accounts.
    I work full time and why would I be ashamed. I post in a private forum that is full of chat and silly threads.
    Some people seem to be under the impression I only post in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm going to hire some South Korean world of warcraft kid to 'level up' my post count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm just really lonely. :(

AnonoBoy i think you put your finger right it on there.
    not forgetting People who are housebound through illness of some type.

a reason i would gently suggest we should be a bit more sensitive to other posters at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I recently went over 10,000 although that's been over the length of 10 years.

That's scarier actually, a decade posting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This thread is ridiculous. Whose lives are the most boring I wonder- those with high posts or those checking them out. If your bored enough to be bothered by other members posts you need to get a life......really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,864 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

To those who say that users with large post counts are those who spend the most time on the site. That's not entirely correct. People can lurk on boards for hours for every day and maintain a small postcount. People also can close an account and start posting with a new account. It's really poor form to look down your nose at a poster just because of the number of posts they have, be it large or small.

It's not hard to rack up a large postcount on boards, especially when you start to explore and post in multiple forums. You could post once in multiple threads each day and you'll find that postcount growing very quickly. But I could see how people who are new to the site or keep to a handful of forums would be somewhat perplexed by posters who ratchet up large post counts in a short period of time. People may be seeking/giving advice, asking for information on a future purchase, discussing their soccer team or just be sharing funny pics/vids. And that's just barely touching the surface of the site.

Boards has so much information/discussion going on constantly that I would've have expected a sizeable portion of the posters to have a large post count. That being said, what does it matter what postcount someone has as long as everyone enjoys what the site has to offer?

tl;dr?

postcount +1 :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

koth wrote: »
    That being said, what does it matter what postcount someone has as long as everyone enjoys what the site has to offer?

Well exactly koth!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Wow, this thread has really taken off.

:pac:

Desire2 wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm just really lonely. :(

AnonoBoy i think you put your finger right it on there.
    not forgetting People who are housebound through illness of some type.

a reason i would gently suggest we should be a bit more sensitive to other posters at times.
    I THINK AnonoBoy was kinda joking. I think...
    If not, huggles AnonoBoy... :(:o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Koth - It's not hard to rack up a large postcount on boards, especially when you start to explore and post in multiple forums. You could post once in multiple threads each day and you'll find that postcount growing very quickly.
    Especially with the the amount of new threads that come about each day/week and not everybody is going to want to post (for the sake of posting to ) in every thread anyway
    Boards has so much information/discussion going on constantly that I would've have expected a sizeable portion of the posters to have a large post count. That being said, what does it matter what postcount someone has as long as everyone enjoys what the site has to offer?
    Otherwise we wouldn't be here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And every one of them as good as the last.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

If only it would take off:D

Somewhere very far away please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not what you wanted at all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I would like to dedicate this post to all the lurkers out there .

F F S come in outta the cold... it's freezing out there :p

stovelid wrote: »
    Started at the very start of 06 which makes it nearly 5 years so I am a bit ashamed of my post count it must be said.
    Six years actually - not so bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

stovelid wrote: »
    Not what you wanted at all, really.

Now what could you mean by that?!

Yes it's your fault some people think I am sad, lonely, unemployed, anti social with no life outside of boards.
    Thankfully I'm none of those :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think I started off posting on Boards cause I was really lonely! Was nice to have people to chat to. My post count got really high when I used to post a lot in a chatty forum.

Now I just kinda drift around.

Bit lonely....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think I started off posting on Boards cause I was really lonely! Was nice to have people to chat to. My post count got really high when I used to post a lot in a chatty forum.

Now I just kinda drift around.

Bit lonely....

Aww *Hug*

I started in july, im now at over 900 posts. I usually post when i am meant to be studying for my thesis and i get distracted:)

I also don't get how some people post for the sake of increasing your post count.

thats right up there with mind reading :cool:

*tips hat*

• Advertisement
Advertisement