Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny thing I heard the other day

Options
  • 30-11-2011 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

For everyone thinking of citizenship

A mate of mine was in court the other day. He saw a bloke walked in by 2 Cops.

After some brief back and forth the Judge stated.

"So to cut to the chase, we are here today because Mr X has not voted?"

"Yes your Honour"

"Never had that before lets hear it"

The bloke had not voted and was fined, he did not pay the fine. A warrant was issued some time after and the local sheriff picked him up. Brought him to the cop station by the court. He was locked up and then brought to court.

He made arrangements to pay the fine and was released.

What does everyone reckon on the Australian ethos of mandatory voting?

I'm all for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You don't have to actually vote, you can turn up and post a blank or spoiled ballot paper. This is an informal vote.

As long as you collect your ballot you wont be fined.

But I am with you Zambia there have been a lot of blood shed to get that vote, its a shame not to use it.

** Voted for the first time in the NSW state elections earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Shouldn't be compulsory to vote. When they have decent politicians maybe..
    With the clowns they have now in parliament definitely not.

Shouldn't be compulsory to vote. When they have decent politicians maybe..
    With the clowns they have now in parliament definitely not.

In reality how many politician are decent?

They only do the job because they probably fail at everything else, clowns included.

Really when you vote you are hopefully voting for the lesser of 2 or 3 evils.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    In reality how many politician are decent

Very few, which is why I wouldn't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's only compulsory if you register ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You don't have to actually vote, you can turn up and post a blank or spoiled ballot paper. This is an informal vote.

As long as you collect your ballot you wont be fined.

But I am with you Zambia there have been a lot of blood shed to get that vote, its a shame not to use it.

** Voted for the first time in the NSW state elections earlier this year.

this really dosn't affect me as iam not in oz yet. but i think it is the same for every democracy worldwide.
    but to say some like "there has been alot of blood shed to get that vote" is wrong imo, what there has been alot of blood shed over is gaining the freedom to vote and this also includes your right to abstain from voting aswell, all in my humble opinion of course.
    obviously if i ever get citizenship of australia, then when in australia do what the australians do.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's only compulsory if you register ;)

Isn't it compulsory to register though?
    I've been dodging it for long enough eitherway!

I wonder if you can be fined for not registering to vote? rather than being registered and not voting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I wonder if you can be fined for not registering to vote? rather than being registered and not voting?

My question exactly.

[QUOTE=sponge_bob;75744774
    but to say some like "there has been alot of blood shed to get that vote" is wrong imo, what there has been alot of blood shed over is gaining the freedom to vote and this also includes your right to abstain from voting aswell, all in my humble opinion of course.
    [/QUOTE]

Well thats what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

My understanding when in Australia, is that it is compulsory to Register and to Vote, but completely legal to spoil your vote.

Not sure what the grounds of it are, maybe to stop others voting in you name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If I have a right to vote, surely I should have the right not to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You do have the right not to vote. You can submit a blank or spoiled ballot. You just don't have the right to completely ignore the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    If I have a right to vote, surely I should have the right not to vote?
    You have, but you have to exercise it. As in physically go and submit a ballot for nobody.

I'm not sure if i like it. I think tis a good idea that everyone makes a informed decision on it. i just feel that if people are forced to vote they will vote for who ever is the best as marketing himself in he media. Which is not good imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Not a bad idea IMO. I think most people are generally idiots when it comes to politics but at least making them submit a ballot might take their attention away from x factor for 2 minutes. ****, like they are only running the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

My friend is a Jehovah witness and she said none of them vote. It is still illegal that they dont vote, but I dont think thats fair, since its against their beliefs to vote. So I dont think people should be fined if they dont vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would disagree there representation from minority groups is crucial. I think it is very dangerous when people just opt out.

Decisions these politicians make effect us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I don't believe it should be compulsory to vote. I believe that only the people who make an informed and educated decision, should cast their vote.

turn-out for the recent presidential elections here in Ireland was around 55-60 percent (just from memory, can't remember the exact figure).

If that rate was similar in Australia, then it means the other 40% who are forced to vote, are probably not putting much thought into it, and are choosing based on popularity, or even by those bloody how-to-vote cards they shove up your nose as you walk in.

For me, that 40% can easily mean the difference between someone less popular, but the better candidate, not getting voted in.

As for the option to spoiling your vote, whats the point? You make several million people roll up just for accountability? How many of them do actually consciously spoil their vote, or actually end up just picking some names anyway?

Jagera wrote: »
    I don't believe it should be compulsory to vote. I believe that only the people who make an informed and educated decision, should cast their vote.

turn-out for the recent presidential elections here in Ireland was around 55-60 percent (just from memory, can't remember the exact figure).

If that rate was similar in Australia, then it means the other 40% who are forced to vote, are probably not putting much thought into it, and are choosing based on popularity, or even by those bloody how-to-vote cards they shove up your nose as you walk in.

For me, that 40% can easily mean the difference between someone less popular, but the better candidate, not getting voted in.

As for the option to spoiling your vote, whats the point? You make several million people roll up just for accountability? How many of them do actually consciously spoil their vote, or actually end up just picking some names anyway?

Eh, isnt that what voting is? The most popular candidate gets elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Maybe popular not a good choice of word, but surely you get what I mean.

• Advertisement

Em, no not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What I read from it is that those who cant be arsed to get up and vote would make a crap decision anyway.

However when said same dole living non voters encounter hardship like the Sheriff at the door. They should at least feel like they know who is at the wheel when the car is running them over.

Advertisement